Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Neostar
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Neostar Send a message via Skype™ to Neostar
Arrow What should I do?

Firstly, I would like to point out I just joined today and this is my first post.

Okay, I'm stuck here.

Black Friday, I expect to get a Galaxy S III phone, because Sprint is having a sale where it is $50 instead of $200, and I couldn't buy it from Amazon because that requires you to be a new subscriber.

Anyway, I am stuck between saving up for either...

1. Keep the Galaxy S III and save up for new iPod Touch to use instead of my 3G one (cracked screen for about a year...).

2. Keep the Galaxy S III, but save up for the new iPhone that obviously will come out next year and replace it with said iPhone. (iPhone 5S, I assume).

I don't really like Android to be honest, but I do hear it's a very good phone. I do prefer Apple products too, and always wanted an iPhone, but... I'm still having a hard time deciding. Also, it'll most likely take me longer to save up for a 64GB iPhone vs a 32GB iPod Touch.

And please, nobody comment to repair the iPod Touch. It's way past the warranty and it is special to me, because of who gave it to me.

Thank you in advance.
Neostar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:13 PM   #2
sviato
macrumors 68020

Why not buy an iPhone 4 or 4S to use until the 5S or whatever comes out (since you dont like android)? They go for around $200-300 and you can likely sell it for a bit too before buying the next one. You can probably even sell the GS3 or trade for a 4S. Although the 4/4S are somewhat outdated compared to the S3
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neostar View Post
I don't really like Android to be honest, but I do hear it's a very good phone.
And here is where I stop you.
You're not a fan of Android and you want an iPod or iPhone. I would just get an iPhone. I'm assuming you're buying this phone with subsidized pricing.

I think it's better to buy what you need/want now instead of holding your breath for iPhone 5S. Just enjoy the phone now
wordoflife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Either pony up for the iPhone 5 and forget about getting an iPod, or get the GSIII and trade it for an iPhone 5.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
say you get the galaxy s3, and the new iphone comes out sometime next year. will you even be upgrade eligible? will you be able to upgrade another line on your account? if it's just you on a solo line, the cost of upgrading might be more than the standard 199/299/399.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Neostar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Why not buy an iPhone 4 or 4S to use until the 5S or whatever comes out (since you dont like android)? They go for around $200-300 and you can likely sell it for a bit too before buying the next one. You can probably even sell the GS3 or trade for a 4S. Although the 4/4S are somewhat outdated compared to the S3
I only have $90 to spend right now, towards the GS3.

And the saving up will include activation, and such. Yes, I would be upgrade eligible by then.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:43 PM   #7
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
In all honesty, it sounds like you should save up for a phone (iPhone) that you actually want. Never get a phone (or any device) that you don't want just because its on sale. You'll regret the decision. You didn't give your exact situation, so I'm giving you several alternative options (at least one of them will apply to you) in order I would choose if I were you

-Save up money until you can afford the $199 iPhone 5
-Save money until you can afford a used iPhone 4 (this way you can keep your upgrade For the 5S). They go for less than $200 where I'm at
-Buy the GSIII, and then trade it for a 4S + Cash

If you don't like android, why would you buy it and keet it? Doesn't make sense to me.
bjb.butler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Neostar
macrumors newbie

I currently have not had a phone for a couple of months now, due to a family situation.

I do, not like Android but I figured I'd also try it out since it seems like to be a good Android phone at least.

Harder to explain where I am right now than I thought here.

I would buy it and keep it because I would still have that phone if I like it AND an iOS device (new iPod Touch) that is also up to date since the 3rd Gen is now unsupported by Apple and soon app devs will stop supporting it as well, I've seen a steady increase in it.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

If you have $90, why not just scratch up $10 more and get an iPhone 4S? It is still an awesome phone. And I agree with wordoflife: don't get a GS3 if you don't like android. Be true to yourself, get an iPhone!
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

What I really want is a nice hot pizza but I think I'll just take a dump in my hand and eat that. no you shouldn't get something you yourself said you don't like.
Arnezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:06 PM   #11
panda bear
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Firstly, I would like to point out I just joined today and this is my first post.

Okay, I'm stuck here.

Black Friday, I expect to get a Galaxy S III phone, because Sprint is having a sale where it is $50 instead of $200, and I couldn't buy it from Amazon because that requires you to be a new subscriber.

Anyway, I am stuck between saving up for either...

1. Keep the Galaxy S III and save up for new iPod Touch to use instead of my 3G one (cracked screen for about a year...).

2. Keep the Galaxy S III, but save up for the new iPhone that obviously will come out next year and replace it with said iPhone. (iPhone 5S, I assume).

I don't really like Android to be honest, but I do hear it's a very good phone. I do prefer Apple products too, and always wanted an iPhone, but... I'm still having a hard time deciding. Also, it'll most likely take me longer to save up for a 64GB iPhone vs a 32GB iPod Touch.

And please, nobody comment to repair the iPod Touch. It's way past the warranty and it is special to me, because of who gave it to me.

Thank you in advance.
I'm not sure if I missed it or not, but will you be purchasing the G3 with an upgrade? If so, why not just get a 4 for free or a 4s for $100 or wait a bit and get a 5 after you save up more?

I don't know what Sprint's upgrade schedule is like, but if you upgrade to the G3 now, I'm assuming you won't be able to upgrade with subsidized pricing for another 2 years, right?

Honestly, only you can make this decision, because you know what you want and can do.

If I were in your position (what I know of it anyway), I'd purchase the G3 and be happy getting a supposedly excellent phone for $50.

However, if I felt like I REALLY wanted an iOS device, I would get the extra $10 and get the iPhone 4S.

Why do you need to get the most expensive iPhone there is (64gb)?

If you need the space and you're obviously hurting for money, go with the Samsung.
panda bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:57 PM   #12
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
I currently have not had a phone for a couple of months now
If you've been fine without a phone for this long, why can't you wait a few more weeks to save up and get an iPhone 4 for ~$150?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:17 PM   #13
macking104
macrumors 6502

Getting the Galaxy at the $50 subsidized price would most likely tie you into a 2 year contract, upgrade eligible in 20 months.

Sprint has refurbished iPhone 4s for $50 as an upgrade...

and start clipping coupons, eating out cheaper, etc... and you'll save money fast.
macking104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:37 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
In all honesty, it sounds like you should save up for a phone (iPhone) that you actually want. Never get a phone (or any device) that you don't want just because its on sale. You'll regret the decision. You didn't give your exact situation, so I'm giving you several alternative options (at least one of them will apply to you) in order I would choose if I were you

-Save up money until you can afford the $199 iPhone 5
-Save money until you can afford a used iPhone 4 (this way you can keep your upgrade For the 5S). They go for less than $200 where I'm at
-Buy the GSIII, and then trade it for a 4S + Cash

If you don't like android, why would you buy it and keet it? Doesn't make sense to me.
Agreed. If you really want an iPhone, then just wait until you have the money saved.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:38 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

It must be really hard, its such a life changing decision
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:52 PM   #16
Breezygirl
macrumors regular

I would do #1. Or I would get the S3 and try it out (like I have, the Galaxy is awesome) until the next iPhone comes out, you can then sell the S3 and put the money towards the new iPhone. I'm getting the 5 tomorrow to test it out and am already dreading the connection to iTunes again. But I'll play with it for a while then figure out what phone I'm going to keep.
Breezygirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:55 AM   #17
Neostar
macrumors newbie

I am not the bill payer but the contract was started a while ago.

And last time I checked, the used iPhone 4S was out of stock.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone