Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
jetlagged
macrumors regular

How is Apple as far as returning an open iPhone 5 the next day?

Alrite, its a nightmare come true. I bought a full price iPhone 5 at the local apple store today less than 3 hours ago for a grand total of $916. I bought it full price because I wanted to keep my unlimited verizon data plan. I was excited to finally upgrade my 2 year old iPhone 4.

But I think I want to return it tomorrow. Just wondering if Apple will ask me a reason why I want to return it? Will i need a reason? will they even take it back? I don't know how lenient or strict they are in regards to returning items like an iPhone 5. I understand theres a 14 days window where we can return apple items. Well if anybody can shed some light and input on their experience, it's much appreciated.

Well just in case you want to know, I just opened up my iPhone 5 black, and there's a scuff. I don't know if I can live with it. I'm sure I can, but I can't get over the fact that I spent $916 for a scuffed back. It's not so bad, but I cant get over it.

sorry for the poor image quality, I took it with my iphone 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	378722   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	584.7 KB
ID:	378723   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	378724  

jetlagged is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

They should take it back no questions asked.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
chocoyo00
macrumors member

I've returned two phones no questions asked. You have 30 days to return it.
chocoyo00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:53 PM   #4
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

They should be fine. IIRC apple has a 14 day return policy for opened devices, full refund.

My cousin got a 5 full price as well, I spotted a dead pixel and one of the corners was scuffed pretty bad. Unacceptable for how much he payed for it. Apple QC is awful.
viperGTS is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:08 PM   #5
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

I returned a 32GB no questions asked.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:32 PM   #6
rgarjr
macrumors 603

916 bucks is a lot of dough
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:24 PM   #7
jetlagged
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
lol yeah. i had to think about it long and hard. i figure whatever i can sell for my iphone 4 (32 gb), which is worth $150-$200, plus all the loose coin change i've accumulated during the last few years, which i'm sure is worth $400 at the most (speaking of which i need to cash in at the coin-star machine at walmart), i figure i'd break even with it as if i was buying it at subsidized price.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Jusfer
macrumors member

Ha. If it were GSM, I'd take it off your hands. I am in the market for an unlocked one and don't care about a scuff. Wouldn't be the last one.

I think the price is just fine and cheaper than buying one with a 2-y contract. Do the math!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagged View Post
Alrite, its a nightmare come true. I bought a full price iPhone 5 at the local apple store today less than 3 hours ago for a grand total of $916. I bought it full price because I wanted to keep my unlimited verizon data plan. I was excited to finally upgrade my 2 year old iPhone 4.

But I think I want to return it tomorrow. Just wondering if Apple will ask me a reason why I want to return it? Will i need a reason? will they even take it back? I don't know how lenient or strict they are in regards to returning items like an iPhone 5. I understand theres a 14 days window where we can return apple items. Well if anybody can shed some light and input on their experience, it's much appreciated.

Well just in case you want to know, I just opened up my iPhone 5 black, and there's a scuff. I don't know if I can live with it. I'm sure I can, but I can't get over the fact that I spent $916 for a scuffed back. It's not so bad, but I cant get over it.

sorry for the poor image quality, I took it with my iphone 4.
Regarding that scratch/scuff, the same thing happened to mine when I purchased it. What happened: Called AppleCare, set up an appointment at Apple store, they took a 10 second look at it, new iPhone a minute later. Yeah, scratches are unacceptable, but at least they're doing something about it. Regarding returns, I don't know. I never returned any Apple products.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:23 PM   #10
bmwman3241
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusfer View Post
Ha. If it were GSM, I'd take it off your hands. I am in the market for an unlocked one and don't care about a scuff. Wouldn't be the last one.

I think the price is just fine and cheaper than buying one with a 2-y contract. Do the math!
I have a sealed black 64gb AT&T and 2 open box black&white 64gb AT&T with AppleCare+ and used for a little over a week if you are interested.

I am switching to Verizon and need to sell them.
bmwman3241 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:02 AM   #11
jetlagged
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Regarding that scratch/scuff, the same thing happened to mine when I purchased it. What happened: Called AppleCare, set up an appointment at Apple store, they took a 10 second look at it, new iPhone a minute later. Yeah, scratches are unacceptable, but at least they're doing something about it. Regarding returns, I don't know. I never returned any Apple products.
basically i want another one if possible if they are willing exchange it, but if not, i'll just return it outright. theres really no guarantee its gonna be scuff free until i open the box itself. now i definitely am sold on getting a case for sure now. i've been rocking my iphone 4 naked all along, but the iphone 5 will be a different story.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:55 AM   #12
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Umm you shouldn't have any issues with returning it.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:41 AM   #13
Tzuten
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusfer View Post

Yeah but, if you get a service plan, even month to month.. How much are you spending over that 2 year period .. Phone + service?
Tzuten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:07 AM   #14
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
No kidding! How do people have that much money to burn on a phone? Must be nice.
johndallas999 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:19 AM   #15
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagged View Post
basically i want another one if possible if they are willing exchange it, but if not, i'll just return it outright. theres really no guarantee its gonna be scuff free until i open the box itself. now i definitely am sold on getting a case for sure now. i've been rocking my iphone 4 naked all along, but the iphone 5 will be a different story.
Won't be a problem. They should give you a brand new phone, not refurb. They check it to make sure there aren't any scratches on the replacement.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:19 AM   #16
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

OP got money to blow like that!
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:45 AM   #17
thekb
macrumors 6502

OMG ... did the phone even work?
thekb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:41 AM   #18
TableSyrup
macrumors 6502

What the crap? How do you have a black iPhone 5 with a grey/silver aluminum back??
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:50 AM   #19
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
No kidding! How do people have that much money to burn on a phone? Must be nice.
yay for degrees
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:52 AM   #20
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
Priorities, really. I know people who spend that much eating out each month.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 AM   #21
Jusfer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman3241 View Post
I have a sealed black 64gb AT&T and 2 open box black&white 64gb AT&T with AppleCare+ and used for a little over a week if you are interested.

I am switching to Verizon and need to sell them.
Thanks for the offer, it is intriguing. However, I was able to fix an issue I had with my i4, so I won't need a replacement at this time.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:30 PM   #22
jetlagged
macrumors regular

alrite people moment of truth baby, moment of truth, going to inspect it right now. i went to the apple store today and exchanged it for same color, no questions asked, they didn't even inspect the phone for scuffing. they brought me out a new phone same color brand new sealed in the clear plastic wrapper.i opened it at the apple store and didnt see anything, but i'm at home right now and going to inspect it under all kinds of lighting conditions and at different angles.

i think i should have gotten the white, but oh well too late now. will give an update in a few.

well the phone looks good so far. no scuffs on the band, and back itself. no scuffs on the corner and edges. overall pretty satisfied. but at the same time i've come to accept that this phone will scuff over time eventually. until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:32 PM   #23
smoge
macrumors regular

Its the law! they have to give you your money back!
smoge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:41 PM   #24
F123D
macrumors 68040

There's still scuff issues two months later? I thought apple was tigtening up their QC.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:47 PM   #25
BRyken
macrumors 6502

You shouldn't have any issues. I returned my iPhone 5 for replacement the next day because of a speck of dust under the screen.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone