Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
thomamon
macrumors 6502a
 
thomamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
New iPhone 5 Commercial, Misrepresenations

So did you see the new iPhone 5 commercial on the front page of this site? You know, the one showing off the photos that you can take with it and share with people.

Now, I've always been one to defend Apple that the photos doesn't take up the full 5 inch screen. I'm a photographer by trade and know how hard it is to change something like that in a chip.

But the fact is the photos in that commercial lead you to believe that the photos will take up the entire screen of the iPhone 5. That is totally wrong and false advertising.
__________________
My Stupid Little Blog is back, now featuring my frustration with the iOS 7 Podcast App! Check it out: http://www.stupidlittleblog.com
thomamon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
But did you see how yellow/crappy the Thanksgiving pictures were? Bet they were shot while taking a video (as you can do on the iPhone 5) and they'd be 16:9 as advertised. Sorry, but Apple gets off scot free

The only misrepresentation here is how they've managed to show a flawless black iP5 with nary a nick nor scratch anywhere
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
But did you see how yellow/crappy the Thanksgiving pictures were? Bet they were shot while taking a video (as you can do on the iPhone 5) and they'd be 16:9 as advertised. Sorry, but Apple gets off scot free

The only misrepresentation here is how they've managed to show a flawless black iP5 with nary a nick nor scratch anywhere
My iPhone 5 is flawless and so are quite a lot of new ones...
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4
farkingdom
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
So did you see the new iPhone 5 commercial on the front page of this site? You know, the one showing off the photos that you can take with it and share with people.

Now, I've always been one to defend Apple that the photos doesn't take up the full 5 inch screen. I'm a photographer by trade and know how hard it is to change something like that in a chip.

But the fact is the photos in that commercial lead you to believe that the photos will take up the entire screen of the iPhone 5. That is totally wrong and false advertising.
Their Siri commercial leads me to buy an iPhone4S and it doesn't even work as advertised with "sequence shortened" as perfect run-away excuse. Even saying the exact same phrase as the commercial, Siri wouldn't understand.

Apple like to show you a world where everything is perfect in their advertisement... but work otherwise in the real world.
farkingdom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:44 AM   #5
The New iPad
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Photos have been 3:2 for a long time. Apple isn't looking to change that.

Some photographer you are.
The New iPad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
I agree with the OP.

There have been several threads here from people who complain that the camera doesn't take 16x9 photos. I always respond by talking about how common photo ratios go back over a century and we shouldn't up-end the whole system just because of the shape of a cell phone.

Anyway, that argument goes both ways. If I really believe that the camera works "right" (and I do) then I can't very well say they should show it another way on the TV ad. I need to make the same call here: The camera works right and so they should show it that way in the ads.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The New iPad View Post
Photos have been 3:2 for a long time. Apple isn't looking to change that.

Some photographer you are.
I love it when someone is really, really smug and yet apparently didn't read the original post very closely.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:15 AM   #7
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by The New iPad View Post
Photos have been 3:2 for a long time. Apple isn't looking to change that.

Some photographer you are.
Photos have been 4:3.
__________________
rMBP'12 15" 2.3GHz, iPad Air 2 LTE 64GB, iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
iMac'08/24",Mini'09,MBP'10/15",MBA'11/13". iPhone 5s,5,4S,4,3GS. iPT: 3,1. iPad: Air,4,3,2,1,Mini2. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09,TC'13.
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:21 AM   #8
sand_man
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkingdom View Post
Apple like to show you a world where everything is perfect in their advertisement...
How shocking!! Isn't that the point of an advertisement?

I'm yet to see a cellphone manufacturer advertise their device while it is crashing or rebooting or taking a photo with a purple haze in it.
__________________
Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger.
sand_man is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:27 AM   #9
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
How shocking!! Isn't that the point of an advertisement?

I'm yet to see a cellphone manufacturer advertise their device while it is crashing or rebooting or taking a photo with a purple haze in it.
I've seen some Android phone's ads showing its interface even smoother than an iPhone
__________________
rMBP'12 15" 2.3GHz, iPad Air 2 LTE 64GB, iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
iMac'08/24",Mini'09,MBP'10/15",MBA'11/13". iPhone 5s,5,4S,4,3GS. iPT: 3,1. iPad: Air,4,3,2,1,Mini2. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09,TC'13.
haruhiko is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New iPhone 5s commercial Dark Goob iPhone 4 Sep 13, 2013 10:48 PM
iPhone commercial bmac4 iPhone 26 Aug 9, 2013 11:07 PM
What do you think of this new Apple iPhone commercial? east85 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 0 Apr 25, 2013 08:48 PM
The best iPhone 5 Commercial Namji iPhone 0 Sep 20, 2012 03:11 PM
next iPhone in apple commercial? DarekBarquero iPhone 29 Jul 29, 2012 04:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC