Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

New iPhone 5 Commercial, Misrepresenations

So did you see the new iPhone 5 commercial on the front page of this site? You know, the one showing off the photos that you can take with it and share with people.

Now, I've always been one to defend Apple that the photos doesn't take up the full 5 inch screen. I'm a photographer by trade and know how hard it is to change something like that in a chip.

But the fact is the photos in that commercial lead you to believe that the photos will take up the entire screen of the iPhone 5. That is totally wrong and false advertising.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

But did you see how yellow/crappy the Thanksgiving pictures were? Bet they were shot while taking a video (as you can do on the iPhone 5) and they'd be 16:9 as advertised. Sorry, but Apple gets off scot free

The only misrepresentation here is how they've managed to show a flawless black iP5 with nary a nick nor scratch anywhere
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
But did you see how yellow/crappy the Thanksgiving pictures were? Bet they were shot while taking a video (as you can do on the iPhone 5) and they'd be 16:9 as advertised. Sorry, but Apple gets off scot free

The only misrepresentation here is how they've managed to show a flawless black iP5 with nary a nick nor scratch anywhere
My iPhone 5 is flawless and so are quite a lot of new ones...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4
farkingdom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
So did you see the new iPhone 5 commercial on the front page of this site? You know, the one showing off the photos that you can take with it and share with people.

Now, I've always been one to defend Apple that the photos doesn't take up the full 5 inch screen. I'm a photographer by trade and know how hard it is to change something like that in a chip.

But the fact is the photos in that commercial lead you to believe that the photos will take up the entire screen of the iPhone 5. That is totally wrong and false advertising.
Their Siri commercial leads me to buy an iPhone4S and it doesn't even work as advertised with "sequence shortened" as perfect run-away excuse. Even saying the exact same phrase as the commercial, Siri wouldn't understand.

Apple like to show you a world where everything is perfect in their advertisement... but work otherwise in the real world.
farkingdom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:44 AM   #5
The New iPad
macrumors regular

Photos have been 3:2 for a long time. Apple isn't looking to change that.

Some photographer you are.
The New iPad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Small White Car
macrumors G4

I agree with the OP.

There have been several threads here from people who complain that the camera doesn't take 16x9 photos. I always respond by talking about how common photo ratios go back over a century and we shouldn't up-end the whole system just because of the shape of a cell phone.

Anyway, that argument goes both ways. If I really believe that the camera works "right" (and I do) then I can't very well say they should show it another way on the TV ad. I need to make the same call here: The camera works right and so they should show it that way in the ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New iPad View Post

I love it when someone is really, really smug and yet apparently didn't read the original post very closely.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:15 AM   #7
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New iPad View Post

Photos have been 4:3.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:21 AM   #8
sand_man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkingdom View Post
Apple like to show you a world where everything is perfect in their advertisement...
How shocking!! Isn't that the point of an advertisement?

I'm yet to see a cellphone manufacturer advertise their device while it is crashing or rebooting or taking a photo with a purple haze in it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:27 AM   #9
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
How shocking!! Isn't that the point of an advertisement?

I'm yet to see a cellphone manufacturer advertise their device while it is crashing or rebooting or taking a photo with a purple haze in it.
I've seen some Android phone's ads showing its interface even smoother than an iPhone

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone