Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: How often you need to speak from a noisy place?
Less than 5% of your calls 25 26.32%
5-10% of your calls 19 20.00%
10-20% of your calls 22 23.16%
20-50% of your calls 17 17.89%
50-80 or your calls 7 7.37%
Most of your calls 5 5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:59 AM   #1
sergiozambrano
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Things you can't do while in a call in iPhone 5

Since the noise reduction FAILS when the phone is NOT against the ear, EVERY call I had since my new iPhone 5 I got a "I can't hear you".

Apple's official response is: "use the speaker function, the earbuds or a bluetooth device".

In other words: "This is our super-cool new microphone (system) so use it as we tell you" It works worse than a 70 years old microphone, but hey! it helps your caller to understand your words when you are in a noisy place!

Super cool!

Now, this is the list of things a 10years old phone can do but you can't while in a call in an iPhone5:
  • Separate the phone from your ear to let it cool
  • Give someone a number from your agenda
  • Give someone directions from your map
  • Read out loud an email or message
  • rest your arm's position by rising the phone's bottom
  • Look at your phone and insult your caller
  • Turn on the volume
  • Add a call while speaking
  • Checking the time in the phone
  • …or checking the signal bars!
  • Speak while lying on bed (really, try it!)
  • …and basically any other scenario you are not aware of, but yet you actually hold your phone in ANY other position other than both a) your ear against the speaker AND b) your mouth next the FRONT of the phone (and that the voice comes from below up, so it's greatly better listened by the lower mic's guts than the back mic)

So you have an agenda!, but can't read on-loud. You have a map, but can't share directions. You have email in your phone!, but you can't tell anybody.
You have a phone with noise canceling, but it cancels your own voice. You have a proximity sensor and it can't tell the phone you are far from it, and thus the noise canceling WILL FAIL.

Ridiculous.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20204125#20204125

Last edited by sergiozambrano; Nov 21, 2012 at 04:06 AM.
sergiozambrano is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:06 AM   #2
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

I've had no issues with the calling feature. I could speak on speaker from 10 feet away and they could still hear me perfectly.
tymaster50 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:14 AM   #3
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

OP, i have no idea what you're talking about. I have no such issues with calls. people tell me all the time, especially when i first got my 5 that i sound amazing. I can do all of the things you mentioned you can't, and then some. Regular earpiece or speaker phone.

you might want to get your phone/voice/head/ears checked out.
aphexacid is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Menel
macrumors 601

Confused.

Find it odd that you're like the ONLY person with this complaint? Maybe yours is broken, return it. Or you're broken. One or the other.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Jare
macrumors 65816

You're doing it wrong.
Jare is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:35 AM   #6
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiozambrano View Post
Since the noise reduction FAILS when the phone is NOT against the ear, EVERY call I had since my new iPhone 5 I got a "I can't hear you".

Apple's official response is: "use the speaker function, the earbuds or a bluetooth device".
So you never hold the iPhone 5 to your ear for a call and you've never used the speaker function? Sounds like an operator issue to me. That's what the speaker function is for. If you want privacy while not holding it to your ear Apple has provided options as well.

If it doesn't work for you, return it and get something that does. I've had no problems myself.
takeshi74 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Want300
macrumors 65816

I answered the poll question... but I have never had any issue with the iPhone 5 while making calls. I am very happy with it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Since I've gotten my iPhone 5 I haven't had any issues with calls at all.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:49 AM   #9
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

You are upset that noise reduction doesn't work in speakerphone mode? I think you need to look into noise reduction technologies, because I am quite certain they don't work the ways you seem to think they do. There is no way for the phone to differentiate between background noise and your talking if you have it away from your ear. It basically thinks you ARE background noise when you are speaking from a distance...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 AM   #10
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Uh Oh...looks like another "Phantom" iPhone user has problems. I'd post this on a non-iPhone site, you'll get more positive/favorable replies.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:52 AM   #11
darster
macrumors 68000

The poll title has nothing to do with the OP's post. This thread is a fail.

----------

The OP has been complaining about his iPhone 5 since at least November 2nd, but does nothing. Does not return it, does not exchange it, but whines about it as if his whining will somehow fix it.
darster is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Did someone really just make a thread complaining that the noise-canceling feature cancels noise?

Sometimes I really love this place.
Small White Car is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:08 PM   #13
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
Quote:

In other words: "This is our super-cool new microphone (system) so use it as we tell you" It works worse than a 70 years old microphone, but hey! it helps your caller to understand your words when you are in a noisy place!

Super cool!

Now, this is the list of things a 10years old phone can do but you can't while in a call in an iPhone5:
  • Turn on the volume
  • …and basically any other scenario you are not aware of, but yet you actually hold your phone in ANY other position other than both a) your ear against the speaker AND b) your mouth next the FRONT of the phone (and that the voice comes from below up, so it's greatly better listened by the lower mic's guts than the back mic)

So you have an agenda!, but can't read on-loud. You have a map, but can't share directions. You have email in your phone!, but you can't tell anybody.
You have a phone with noise canceling, but it cancels your own voice. You have a proximity sensor and it can't tell the phone you are far from it, and thus the noise canceling WILL FAIL.

Ridiculous.

so you are upset that you cant do any of those things while you are holding the phone up to your ear? What phone allows that? do you know people with eyes right by their ears?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
The poll title has nothing to do with the OP's post. This thread is a fail.

----------

The OP has been complaining about his iPhone 5 since at least November 2nd, but does nothing. Does not return it, does not exchange it, but whines about it as if his whining will somehow fix it.
Im thinking he has a roulette wheel with random iPhone 5 complains he found on the net and then spins it and makes a post about it.
peeaanuut is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:17 PM   #14
jettrue
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
so you are upset that you cant do any of those things while you are holding the phone up to your ear? What phone allows that? do you know people with eyes right by their ears?

----------

Im thinking he has a roulette wheel with random iPhone 5 complains he found on the net and then spins it and makes a post about it.
No, he's saying that when he pulls the phone away from his ear (and that list is all the ways/reasons you might pull your phone away from your ear), then the noise cancelling function of the phone cancels out his voice.

I've not noticed this problem, but then again, talking on my phone occupies the least proportion of my phone usage, I don't usually do a lot of things that are on that list when I'm on a call (I generally keep it on my ear or turn on speakerphone), and usually when I'm talking on the phone I'm commuting and using my car's integrated bluetooth. I'll test it out on my next phone call. I'm curious.
jettrue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:35 PM   #15
peeaanuut
Banned

ahhh ok. Then im still confused. In what situation would you take the phone away and not use speaker/bluetooth/headset?
peeaanuut is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:45 PM   #16
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Drive attentively

is the obvious answer.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Talk about a fail. Mine has none of these problems. Noise cancellation works great!
Givmeabrek is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:28 PM   #18
jettrue
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
ahhh ok. Then im still confused. In what situation would you take the phone away and not use speaker/bluetooth/headset?
Did you not read the OP? LOL There was a list. And then a summation of the list. Reading comprehension, anyone?

I don't do it often, but there have been times when I pull my phone away from my ear without using speakerphone, for example, to give the caller a phone number that is in my phone. I don't think I've done that yet on the iPhone 5 so I can't reply that I have or haven't had the same issue. Are people just playing dumb to try and pretend like there's not a problem? Has anyone that replied to this thread actually tried to replicate the issue exactly?

OP: I think if you tried stating your issue impartially instead of accusatory, aggressively, and sarcastically, you might get a more impartial response. Also, having it happen on two phones doesn't mean it's happening to every single one.
jettrue is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:31 PM   #19
Knowimagination
macrumors 6502a

When I read threads like this I really, really miss the down vote button...

I don't have any problems with using my phone correctly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post
Did you not read the OP? LOL There was a list. And then a summation of the list. Reading comprehension, anyone?

I don't do it often, but there have been times when I pull my phone away from my ear without using speakerphone, for example, to give the caller a phone number that is in my phone. I don't think I've done that yet on the iPhone 5 so I can't reply that I have or haven't had the same issue. Are people just playing dumb to try and pretend like there's not a problem? Has anyone that replied to this thread actually tried to replicate the issue exactly?
Why would we? I understand how the noise canceling features work and use my phone accordingly.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:55 PM   #20
peeaanuut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post

OP: I think if you tried stating your issue impartially instead of accusatory, aggressively, and sarcastically, you might get a more impartial response. Also, having it happen on two phones doesn't mean it's happening to every single one.
I read it just fine. I just couldnt understand how he couldnt do any of those things as when I use the phone and its not up to my ear, Its usually connected or on speakerphone. It never occured to me to not put it on speakerphone because I would like to be able to hear the person talking to me and so they dont have to yell.

The list and post he made sounds exactly like a list of made up complaints baout a situation that I dont think anyone has honestly been in but more of found something to complain about for the sake of complaining about something.

----------

also, so I dont start another thread, the iPhone 5 doesnt work as snow shoes. I tried. I cant believe a phone this advanced cant do what something that is 150+ years old can do. Horrible.
peeaanuut is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:39 PM   #21
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

I've never had an issue
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:02 PM   #22
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

No problems here. Dial, place phone on ear, converse, end call.

Edit: I see the thread is about something else, though I can't say I've ever had the problem the OP refers to.

Last edited by xraydoc; Nov 21, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
xraydoc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:17 PM   #23
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

My wife and daughter have iPhone 5's without any problems.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:37 PM   #24
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Super cool!

• Turn on the volume

Ridiculous.

I can do all of this, not my fault you chose Verizon
adam044 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:10 AM   #25
Nokaoi
macrumors regular

Sounds like a Verizon user.

Give someone a number from your agenda
Give someone directions from your map
Read out loud an email or message

I can do all of these and never had a problem with my iphone 5.

Bluetooth while driving. Speaker when browsing email or interwebs. Texting directions to anyone while on speaker. I sound very clear and never had anyone say "Huh?" Whilst talking to them.

OP either has a serious problem with his phone, a Verizon user or pulling **** out his/her @ss.
Nokaoi is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
cancelation, noise, proximity, reduction, voice