Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:58 AM   #1
mcard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hair under screen of iPhone 5?

I can't describe it other than it looks like a little hair trapped under the screen. I'm taking it in to the Apple store today to switch it out. Has anyone else seen this before?
mcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:28 AM   #2
big samm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Ive seen dust before but never seen hair... Maybe some hair off the workers at foxxcon?
__________________
iPhone 4 32gb, iPad 3G 32gb, atv2 , ipod nano 8gb (4th gen), 15"MacBook Pro 2009 model
big samm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcard View Post
I can't describe it other than it looks like a little hair trapped under the screen. I'm taking it in to the Apple store today to switch it out. Has anyone else seen this before?
That is impossible in my opinion as the screens are laminated (display to digitiser) by robots/machines in a sterilised (that's not the word, but you know what I mean) room. The robots/machines scan and check the materials for foreign objects.

May be possible though but first time I've ever heard of it.
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:56 AM   #4
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockland/Manhattan
could be one of the workers had the itch
pnoyblazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
psac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Can you tell what type of hair? Is it short and curly?
psac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Cockney Rebel
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
That is impossible in my opinion as the screens are laminated (display to digitiser) by robots/machines in a sterilised (that's not the word, but you know what I mean) room. The robots/machines scan and check the materials for foreign objects.

May be possible though but first time I've ever heard of it.
How can it be impossible if the OP has one under their screen?

I also returned my first iPhone 5 as it arrived with a speck of something under the screen ...

Just received the replacement today and it appears that the actual LCD panel itself is scratched!

Apple's QC is a JOKE!

I think these robots/machines need to get their eyes/lenses tested!
Cockney Rebel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:50 AM   #7
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
How can it be impossible if the OP has one under their screen?

I also returned my first iPhone 5 as it arrived with a speck of something under the screen ...

Just received the replacement today and it appears that the actual LCD panel itself is scratched!

Apple's QC is a JOKE!

I think these robots/machines need to get their eyes/lenses tested!
Maye the OP is wrong as to what it is?

I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do.
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Cockney Rebel
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Maye the OP is wrong as to what it is?

I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do.
I don't own a microscope ... I just use my EYES!!

I thought you said their QC involves robots checking the screens? Well damn, if that's the case, then they need new robots!

Just look at my thread re the small speck under my first iPhone 5's screen ... someone is on their NINTH iPhone 5, because of dead pixels!

I just received a replacement iPhone 5 today with a SCRATCH on the LCD panel!!

So I'm OCD, am I?

And these other people ... are they all OCD?

It's funny, because I'm not "OCD" with ANY other brand ... no hold on, I have no PROBLEMS with any other brand!!

Either there is some huge conspiracy going on, or Apple's QC is not up to scratch (NO PUN INTENDED!).

And the reason for people expecting perfection with Apple products, is because Apple charges a lot more money than other companies! If they want to charge us "Apple tax" then they need to deliver perfection, to reflect the price tag!

Now put that under your microscope, and check every word!
Cockney Rebel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:13 AM   #9
mcard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Maye the OP is wrong as to what it is?

I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do.
I don't need a microscope to see it. When you scroll down a web page, there's a black line that stays put. Pretty sure anyone could see it. I'd take a picture of it, but I'm at work and don't have a camera.
mcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:22 AM   #10
ToyGun1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcard View Post
I don't need a microscope to see it. When you scroll down a web page, there's a black line that stays put. Pretty sure anyone could see it. I'd take a picture of it, but I'm at work and don't have a camera.
Same you could use the DEAD SPOTTER APP (With full brightness on)to check for Dead/Stuck Pixels.
__________________
Waiting for iPhone 6 64Gb Gold (Three UK One Plan)iPad Air 2 128Gb Silver (Three Sim Plan 10Gb)
ToyGun1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Cockney Rebel
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcard View Post
I don't need a microscope to see it. When you scroll down a web page, there's a black line that stays put. Pretty sure anyone could see it. I'd take a picture of it, but I'm at work and don't have a camera.
Mate, just ignore IGNORANT responses like that or you'll end up winding yourself up ...

If you say there is something there, then there is something there ... simple as.

Take the thing back or it will drive you mad ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyGun1 View Post
Same you could use the DEAD SPOTTER APP (With full brightness on)to check for Dead/Stuck Pixels.
No need ... just search for "dead pixel test" on YouTube and use the first video listed (the thumbnail is simply "red").

Turn brightness up to full and turn off auto dimming, and double tap the video to make it full screen. Then in a dark room check your screen through all the colours in the video ... pausing on each colour.

Pay particular attention to the black & white screens ...

If you lock the rotation you can can rotate the phone to thoroughly check for stuck/dead pixels and/or bits under the screen.

For the benefit of certain people ... NO MICROSCOPE IS REQUIRED!
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
If it bothers you that much just bring it to Apple. I'm sure they'll work with you.
__________________
Unlocked Space Gray iPhone 5S 32gb AT&T, 13.3" MacBook Air 1.86GHZ 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:36 AM   #13
mcard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Here are some pictures. The white scar looking thing is something I didn't notice before lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3217.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	479.1 KB
ID:	378821   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3216.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	678.9 KB
ID:	378822  
mcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:21 AM   #14
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
And these other people ... are they all OCD?

It's funny, because I'm not "OCD" with ANY other brand ... no hold on, I have no PROBLEMS with any other brand!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcard View Post
Here are some pictures. The white scar looking thing is something I didn't notice before lol.

Cockney, calm down. As you can see from the OP's pics, it sure as heck doesn't look like a hair, thus, something the microscopes wouldn't pick up as it looks more like an issue with the screen functionality itself.

Just because you have no problems with any brand doesn't mean those other brands don't have problems. I have had almost 0 issues with Apple products since 2006 (except for a bad I/O board on a 2011 13" MBP). Obviously, to me (following your logic) that would mean Apple has had a very good QC level. Mistakes happen, and they should never be tolerated. The OP definitely has an issue that needs to be resolved by Apple.

I used to work for Staples and Radioshack warranty plans call center. I've heard my share of broken products from things that I have never had problems with.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:24 AM   #15
mcard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Yeah you can't really see the hair (little red circle) in the pictures... This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Apple and it makes me sad. We've gotten 3 MBPs, 3-4 iPods, 2 iPads, iMac, MacBook and 6 iPhones and an AirPort Extreme. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with any of them.
mcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:32 AM   #16
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcard View Post
Yeah you can't really see the hair (little red circle) in the pictures... This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Apple and it makes me sad. We've gotten 3 MBPs, 3-4 iPods, 2 iPads, iMac, MacBook and 6 iPhones and an AirPort Extreme. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with any of them.
Oh so there is actually something else within that lighter area? Is it like the hair/object is causing an "air bubble" (for lack of a better example)?
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Cockney Rebel
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Cockney, calm down. As you can see from the OP's pics, it sure as heck doesn't look like a hair, thus, something the microscopes wouldn't pick up as it looks more like an issue with the screen functionality itself.

Just because you have no problems with any brand doesn't mean those other brands don't have problems. I have had almost 0 issues with Apple products since 2006 (except for a bad I/O board on a 2011 13" MBP). Obviously, to me (following your logic) that would mean Apple has had a very good QC level. Mistakes happen, and they should never be tolerated. The OP definitely has an issue that needs to be resolved by Apple.

I used to work for Staples and Radioshack warranty plans call center. I've heard my share of broken products from things that I have never had problems with.
Maybe I did get a bit heated, but I'm sick of comments like:

"I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do"

... here on Mac Rumors.

That's actually quite insulting. Especially to people who actually do suffer with OCD.

That comment/remark was actually quite insulting, when all the OP was asking for was a bit of sensible advice.

In addition to suggesting I calm down, this think comments such as the one I quoted should also be pulled into line ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:41 AM   #18
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
My favorite part is the people who trade their phones because of a nick but they were going to put it in a case anyway. True OCD
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #19
mcard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Oh so there is actually something else within that lighter area? Is it like the hair/object is causing an "air bubble" (for lack of a better example)?
Well in the smaller circle, there's a thin black object that you can only see when the screen is on. The white thick line is just that--a light scar looking thing on the LCD.
mcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:51 AM   #20
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
Maybe I did get a bit heated, but I'm sick of comments like:

"I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do"

... here on Mac Rumors.

That's actually quite insulting. Especially to people who actually do suffer with OCD.

That comment/remark was actually quite insulting, when all the OP was asking for was a bit of sensible advice.

In addition to suggesting I calm down, this think comments such as the one I quoted should also be pulled into line ...
Very true. People throw around the OCD term a lot without thinking about the people who actually suffer from it. I know I've done it. Sorry to call you out specifically.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
mcard
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I don't think it's OCD to be detail oriented. If that were true, then Jony Ive would need serious medication.
mcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:04 PM   #22
Cockney Rebel
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Very true. People throw around the OCD term a lot without thinking about the people who actually suffer from it. I know I've done it. Sorry to call you out specifically.
It wasn't you, buddy.

It was the other ... fella.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
My favorite part is the people who trade their phones because of a nick but they were going to put it in a case anyway. True OCD
Many, many, MANY people don't use cases on their iPhones as they like to use them "as the designers intended" ... so what are you on about?

That's like saying it's ok to buy a new car with a gash in the footwell, then saying ... "oh never mind, I was going to put a mat there anyway".

Doughnut ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcard View Post
I don't think it's OCD to be detail oriented. If that were true, then Jony Ive would need serious medication.
Exactly!

One of the main reason (if not the main reason) we buy Apple products is because we appreciate the best quality and a high level of detail.

Why should we have to settle for imperfections, when Apple charges the money they do?

You can't have it both ways, Apple ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:36 PM   #23
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
It wasn't you, buddy.

It was the other ... fella.

----------



Many, many, MANY people don't use cases on their iPhones as they like to use them "as the designers intended" ... so what are you on about?

That's like saying it's ok to buy a new car with a gash in the footwell, then saying ... "oh never mind, I was going to put a mat there anyway".

Doughnut ...

----------



Exactly!

One of the main reason (if not the main reason) we buy Apple products is because we appreciate the best quality and a high level of detail.

Why should we have to settle for imperfections, when Apple charges the money they do?

You can't have it both ways, Apple ...
Quote:
Many, many, MANY people don't use cases on their iPhones as they like to use them "as the designers intended" ... so what are you on about?

That's like saying it's ok to buy a new car with a gash in the footwell, then saying ... "oh never mind, I was going to put a mat there anyway".

Doughnut ...
welll the real reason as to why people dont use a case is debatable.. whether its due to bulk..or so people can see they have the new brand new iphone..

i agree though.. you shouldn't have to settle for less than new on a NEW product..
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:56 PM   #24
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
...

Just saw your sig.


I lol'd.

The QC on this release seems to be way below normal and I really want to know what the culprit is. Is their secrecy finally catching up to them in the digital age where everything can be seen by everyone almost instantly? Or are the work conditions just that poor. Something needs to change. That's all I know.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:09 PM   #25
Cockney Rebel
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Just saw your sig.


I lol'd.

The QC on this release seems to be way below normal and I really want to know what the culprit is. Is their secrecy finally catching up to them in the digital age where everything can be seen by everyone almost instantly? Or are the work conditions just that poor. Something needs to change. That's all I know.
They just need to up their game!

They obviously need to completely reasses their construction process as it is cleary not sanitary.

Pleased I brought a to your face!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
welll the real reason as to why people dont use a case is debatable.. whether its due to bulk..or so people can see they have the new brand new iphone..

i agree though.. you shouldn't have to settle for less than new on a NEW product..


At the end of the day, a case should be an optional extra.

Not a necessity ...
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5 Hair Line Cracked Screen - Errrrrrr! JodyK iPhone 1 Oct 17, 2012 07:50 PM
Discover Your Screen - Home Screen & Lock Screen Maker for iPhone - V1.0 Released! iClear iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Sep 11, 2012 05:59 AM
Would the Genius Bar take out a small hair behind the screen? xTRIGGER092x iMac 1 Aug 5, 2012 05:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC