Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I can't describe it other than it looks like a little hair trapped under the screen. I'm taking it in to the Apple store today to switch it out. Has anyone else seen this before?

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Ive seen dust before but never seen hair... Maybe some hair off the workers at foxxcon?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I can't describe it other than it looks like a little hair trapped under the screen. I'm taking it in to the Apple store today to switch it out. Has anyone else seen this before?

That is impossible in my opinion as the screens are laminated (display to digitiser) by robots/machines in a sterilised (that's not the word, but you know what I mean) room. The robots/machines scan and check the materials for foreign objects.

May be possible though but first time I've ever heard of it.

Sep 10, 2012
That is impossible in my opinion as the screens are laminated (display to digitiser) by robots/machines in a sterilised (that's not the word, but you know what I mean) room. The robots/machines scan and check the materials for foreign objects.

May be possible though but first time I've ever heard of it.

How can it be impossible if the OP has one under their screen?

I also returned my first iPhone 5 as it arrived with a speck of something under the screen ...

Just received the replacement today and it appears that the actual LCD panel itself is scratched!

Apple's QC is a JOKE!

I think these robots/machines need to get their eyes/lenses tested!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
How can it be impossible if the OP has one under their screen?

I also returned my first iPhone 5 as it arrived with a speck of something under the screen ...

Just received the replacement today and it appears that the actual LCD panel itself is scratched!

Apple's QC is a JOKE!

I think these robots/machines need to get their eyes/lenses tested!
Maye the OP is wrong as to what it is?

I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do.

Sep 10, 2012

I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do.

I don't own a microscope ... I just use my EYES!!

I thought you said their QC involves robots checking the screens? Well damn, if that's the case, then they need new robots!

Just look at my thread re the small speck under my first iPhone 5's screen ... someone is on their NINTH iPhone 5, because of dead pixels!

I just received a replacement iPhone 5 today with a SCRATCH on the LCD panel!!

So I'm OCD, am I?

And these other people ... are they all OCD?

It's funny, because I'm not "OCD" with ANY other brand ... no hold on, I have no PROBLEMS with any other brand!!

Either there is some huge conspiracy going on, or Apple's QC is not up to scratch (NO PUN INTENDED!).

And the reason for people expecting perfection with Apple products, is because Apple charges a lot more money than other companies! If they want to charge us "Apple tax" then they need to deliver perfection, to reflect the price tag!

Now put that under your microscope, and check every word!

mcard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011

I don't need a microscope to see it. When you scroll down a web page, there's a black line that stays put. Pretty sure anyone could see it. I'd take a picture of it, but I'm at work and don't have a camera.

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
I don't need a microscope to see it. When you scroll down a web page, there's a black line that stays put. Pretty sure anyone could see it. I'd take a picture of it, but I'm at work and don't have a camera.

Same you could use the DEAD SPOTTER APP (With full brightness on)to check for Dead/Stuck Pixels.

Sep 10, 2012

Mate, just ignore IGNORANT responses like that or you'll end up winding yourself up ...

If you say there is something there, then there is something there ... simple as.

Take the thing back or it will drive you mad ...

----------

Same you could use the DEAD SPOTTER APP (With full brightness on)to check for Dead/Stuck Pixels.

No need ... just search for "dead pixel test" on YouTube and use the first video listed (the thumbnail is simply "red").

Turn brightness up to full and turn off auto dimming, and double tap the video to make it full screen. Then in a dark room check your screen through all the colours in the video ... pausing on each colour.

Pay particular attention to the black & white screens ...

If you lock the rotation you can can rotate the phone to thoroughly check for stuck/dead pixels and/or bits under the screen.

For the benefit of certain people ... NO MICROSCOPE IS REQUIRED!

mcard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Here are some pictures. The white scar looking thing is something I didn't notice before lol.

Attachments

• CIMG3217.JPG
    CIMG3217.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • CIMG3216.JPG
    CIMG3216.JPG
    678.9 KB · Views: 631

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
And these other people ... are they all OCD?

It's funny, because I'm not "OCD" with ANY other brand ... no hold on, I have no PROBLEMS with any other brand!!

Here are some pictures. The white scar looking thing is something I didn't notice before lol.

Cockney, calm down. As you can see from the OP's pics, it sure as heck doesn't look like a hair, thus, something the microscopes wouldn't pick up as it looks more like an issue with the screen functionality itself.

Just because you have no problems with any brand doesn't mean those other brands don't have problems. I have had almost 0 issues with Apple products since 2006 (except for a bad I/O board on a 2011 13" MBP). Obviously, to me (following your logic) that would mean Apple has had a very good QC level. Mistakes happen, and they should never be tolerated. The OP definitely has an issue that needs to be resolved by Apple.

I used to work for Staples and Radioshack warranty plans call center. I've heard my share of broken products from things that I have never had problems with.

mcard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Yeah you can't really see the hair (little red circle) in the pictures... This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Apple and it makes me sad. We've gotten 3 MBPs, 3-4 iPods, 2 iPads, iMac, MacBook and 6 iPhones and an AirPort Extreme. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with any of them.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yeah you can't really see the hair (little red circle) in the pictures... This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Apple and it makes me sad. We've gotten 3 MBPs, 3-4 iPods, 2 iPads, iMac, MacBook and 6 iPhones and an AirPort Extreme. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with any of them.

Oh so there is actually something else within that lighter area? Is it like the hair/object is causing an "air bubble" (for lack of a better example)?

Sep 10, 2012
Cockney, calm down. As you can see from the OP's pics, it sure as heck doesn't look like a hair, thus, something the microscopes wouldn't pick up as it looks more like an issue with the screen functionality itself.

Just because you have no problems with any brand doesn't mean those other brands don't have problems. I have had almost 0 issues with Apple products since 2006 (except for a bad I/O board on a 2011 13" MBP). Obviously, to me (following your logic) that would mean Apple has had a very good QC level. Mistakes happen, and they should never be tolerated. The OP definitely has an issue that needs to be resolved by Apple.

I used to work for Staples and Radioshack warranty plans call center. I've heard my share of broken products from things that I have never had problems with.

Maybe I did get a bit heated, but I'm sick of comments like:

"I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do"

... here on Mac Rumors.

That's actually quite insulting. Especially to people who actually do suffer with OCD.

That comment/remark was actually quite insulting, when all the OP was asking for was a bit of sensible advice.

In addition to suggesting I calm down, this think comments such as the one I quoted should also be pulled into line ...

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
My favorite part is the people who trade their phones because of a nick but they were going to put it in a case anyway. True OCD

mcard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Oh so there is actually something else within that lighter area? Is it like the hair/object is causing an "air bubble" (for lack of a better example)?

Well in the smaller circle, there's a thin black object that you can only see when the screen is on. The white thick line is just that--a light scar looking thing on the LCD.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Maybe I did get a bit heated, but I'm sick of comments like:

"I don't think apples QC involves checking the screen with a microscope like all you OCD people do"

... here on Mac Rumors.

That's actually quite insulting. Especially to people who actually do suffer with OCD.

That comment/remark was actually quite insulting, when all the OP was asking for was a bit of sensible advice.

In addition to suggesting I calm down, this think comments such as the one I quoted should also be pulled into line ...

Very true. People throw around the OCD term a lot without thinking about the people who actually suffer from it. I know I've done it. Sorry to call you out specifically.

mcard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I don't think it's OCD to be detail oriented. If that were true, then Jony Ive would need serious medication.

Sep 10, 2012
Very true. People throw around the OCD term a lot without thinking about the people who actually suffer from it. I know I've done it. Sorry to call you out specifically.

It wasn't you, buddy.

It was the other ... fella.

----------

My favorite part is the people who trade their phones because of a nick but they were going to put it in a case anyway. True OCD

Many, many, MANY people don't use cases on their iPhones as they like to use them "as the designers intended" ... so what are you on about?

That's like saying it's ok to buy a new car with a gash in the footwell, then saying ... "oh never mind, I was going to put a mat there anyway".

Doughnut ...

----------

I don't think it's OCD to be detail oriented. If that were true, then Jony Ive would need serious medication.

Exactly!

One of the main reason (if not the main reason) we buy Apple products is because we appreciate the best quality and a high level of detail.

Why should we have to settle for imperfections, when Apple charges the money they do?

You can't have it both ways, Apple ...

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
It wasn't you, buddy.

It was the other ... fella.

----------

Many, many, MANY people don't use cases on their iPhones as they like to use them "as the designers intended" ... so what are you on about?

That's like saying it's ok to buy a new car with a gash in the footwell, then saying ... "oh never mind, I was going to put a mat there anyway".

Doughnut ...

----------

Exactly!

One of the main reason (if not the main reason) we buy Apple products is because we appreciate the best quality and a high level of detail.

Why should we have to settle for imperfections, when Apple charges the money they do?

You can't have it both ways, Apple ...

Doughnut ...

welll the real reason as to why people dont use a case is debatable.. whether its due to bulk..or so people can see they have the new brand new iphone..

i agree though.. you shouldn't have to settle for less than new on a NEW product..

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Just saw your sig.

I lol'd.

The QC on this release seems to be way below normal and I really want to know what the culprit is. Is their secrecy finally catching up to them in the digital age where everything can be seen by everyone almost instantly? Or are the work conditions just that poor. Something needs to change. That's all I know.

Sep 10, 2012
Just saw your sig.

I lol'd.

The QC on this release seems to be way below normal and I really want to know what the culprit is. Is their secrecy finally catching up to them in the digital age where everything can be seen by everyone almost instantly? Or are the work conditions just that poor. Something needs to change. That's all I know.

They just need to up their game!

They obviously need to completely reasses their construction process as it is cleary not sanitary.

Pleased I brought a :) to your face!

----------

welll the real reason as to why people dont use a case is debatable.. whether its due to bulk..or so people can see they have the new brand new iphone..

i agree though.. you shouldn't have to settle for less than new on a NEW product..

;)

At the end of the day, a case should be an optional extra.

Not a necessity ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.