Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siritalks

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Here's a question for anyone who is knowledgeable in the subject...

We are in need of a new Mac computer at work to deal with a HUGE amount of Photoshopping and also a 3D Model imaging project we are about to start.

So I am tasked with doing the research on whether to get a new iMac (when they are available), or a Macbook Pro + display now.

We need the graphics card to have 1GB VRAM and CUDA support to run the 3D modelling software effectively, so it seems like the higher end iMacs and Macbooks have this.

Question is, how would a Macbook Pro (high end 15" model) run the 3D modelling software, and would hooking it up to a Thunderbolt display or similar slow down the capabilities of the graphics card as it will be half focussed on running the screen?

Or should we be waiting for the new iMac 27" high end machine?

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Here's a question for anyone who is knowledgeable in the subject...

We are in need of a new Mac computer at work to deal with a HUGE amount of Photoshopping and also a 3D Model imaging project we are about to start.

So I am tasked with doing the research on whether to get a new iMac (when they are available), or a Macbook Pro + display now.

We need the graphics card to have 1GB VRAM and CUDA support to run the 3D modelling software effectively, so it seems like the higher end iMacs and Macbooks have this.

Question is, how would a Macbook Pro (high end 15" model) run the 3D modelling software, and would hooking it up to a Thunderbolt display or similar slow down the capabilities of the graphics card as it will be half focussed on running the screen?

Or should we be waiting for the new iMac 27" high end machine?

I say wait it out. The iMac uses a desktop processor and the 27" features more powerful graphics card options (GTX 675MX or 680MX with 2GB of vram). You'll get better performance overall, not to mention options for Fusion drives and more storage.

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
I say wait it out. The iMac uses a desktop processor and the 27" features more powerful graphics card options (GTX 675MX or 680MX with 2GB of vram). You'll get better performance overall, not to mention options for Fusion drives and more storage.

Wait!

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
definitely wait... if your budget allows for a macbook pro + display, then you could just as easily get a maxed out iMac with 2GB GPU, 3.4ghz i7, 32GB ram (aftermarket of course) and maybe even the 768GB SSD

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
The main question to my mind would be how long you can wait? Given that you say you are 'in need' of a Mac for these things, what would be the impact of not having them immediately? Does it mean you can't start the work or that it will take longer. Would that put revenue from those projects at risk?

Bear in mind that none of us know when the iMac is going to be available. The only thing we know is that Tim Cook says that supplies will be constrained and demand will be robust. So, there is a chance that you can't get one for weeks even if you can order them.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.