Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Koobs123
macrumors member

Multi Users on one mac mini server?

was wondering if this is possible. this would be a wired setup (local).
I want to get one mac mini (server if necessary) and have the machine in my room, but also have it connected to the tv downstairs...this i know is possible... but now what i would like is for my family to browse the internet downstairs, while I do work upstairs sharing the same Mac Mini but using different log ins.

I have a feeling this cant be done amd ill be stuck buying two, but thought i would ask.
Koobs123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:07 PM   #2
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobs123 View Post
was wondering if this is possible. this would be a wired setup (local).
I want to get one mac mini (server if necessary) and have the machine in my room, but also have it connected to the tv downstairs...this i know is possible... but now what i would like is for my family to browse the internet downstairs, while I do work upstairs sharing the same Mac Mini but using different log ins.

I have a feeling this cant be done amd ill be stuck buying two, but thought i would ask.
What you are asking can't be done. While Macs can have different logins at the same time, you need a client system (not just a display/keyboard/mouse) to connect to the Mac host.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

You'll need something running a VNC client to connect to the server. So basically another computer.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Koobs123
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
You'll need something running a VNC client to connect to the server. So basically another computer.
can i hook up a local wired VNC so that speeds and frame rate are maximized?

Id get one powerful mac mini and a used older model to log into my new fast mac mini to get the experience of the new machine... or will that be pointless because it will only be as fast as the machine its being used through?

thunk i answered my own question but thought id clarify anyway. thanks guys
Koobs123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini