Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
realitystops
macrumors regular

Double Tap Gone?!

I am setting up my new 11" MBA and in working in MAIL I have noticed that even though the trackpad settings are identical to my MBP there is no Double Tap and drag - to highlight a number of emails to delete or move etc..

I can do it with a real click but am confused as to the 'tap' method not being available.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Sharkey
realitystops is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:41 PM   #2
yOyOYoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by realitystops View Post
I am setting up my new 11" MBA and in working in MAIL I have noticed that even though the trackpad settings are identical to my MBP there is no Double Tap and drag - to highlight a number of emails to delete or move etc..

I can do it with a real click but am confused as to the 'tap' method not being available.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Sharkey
I am setting up my new 13" MBA and noticed I can no longer double tap to minimize a window. Is there some type of setting I missed?!
yOyOYoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
fanchee
macrumors 6502

Yes, it's a system preference. I'm not in front of my mac, but its a box that says something about minimizing windows in general or appearance system preferences.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:05 PM   #4
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

System Preferences > Dock > Double-click a window's title bar to minimize

Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

Boy, did your thread get highjacked. I'd like to know the answer to the original question too. Are both computers running Mail 6.2?
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:41 PM   #6
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Any ideas??
Getting back to the original question, this seems to have disappeared sometime in the vaguely recent past, either with Lion or Mountain Lion. The replacement gesture is a three-finger tap-and-drag. It's a little different, but accomplishes the same thing.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiFinder17 View Post
Getting back to the original question, this seems to have disappeared sometime in the vaguely recent past, either with Lion or Mountain Lion. The replacement gesture is a three-finger tap-and-drag. It's a little different, but accomplishes the same thing.
Thanks for getting back to the original question, and thanks to the OP for bringing this up...I was setting up my wife's aunt's new MBA last week, and was showing her "how to click and drag," except I couldn't click and drag! When I went into the trackpad preferences (finally) I couldn't find it, but I guess this will work. I meant to post and ask this, but got side-tracked...

I'm supposing the old way wasn't cool enough? Not sure what was wrong with click and drag, I've been using it on my PowerBook's since about 1997...
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:17 PM   #8
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

I apologize for not helping with your original question... I thought the others were asking the same thing. >_>
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:00 AM   #9
gj.george
macrumors newbie

The option is still there in Mountain Lion. However, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, decided that this should no longer be in the Trackpad preferences but in the Accessibility preferences instead. Anyway, here's where you can find it now:

System preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Enable dragging > with or without drag lock
gj.george is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:16 PM   #10
realitystops
macrumors regular

Wow, how did you know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj.george View Post
The option is still there in Mountain Lion. However, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, decided that this should no longer be in the Trackpad preferences but in the Accessibility preferences instead. Anyway, here's where you can find it now:

System preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Enable dragging > with or without drag lock
Quite amazing, that you found it there, I mean.

Very kind of you to help!

And thanks for the 'pock' from the moderator ;-)
realitystops is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:18 AM   #11
gj.george
macrumors newbie

deleted

Last edited by gj.george; Nov 23, 2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Post deleted. See below.
gj.george is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:35 AM   #12
gj.george
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Quite amazing, that you found it there, I mean.

Very kind of you to help!

And thanks for the 'pock' from the moderator ;-)
I'm glad to be of help. After all, isn't this what this forum is for? That's where I learnt many of the things I know now, so it's only fair that I help others if (and when) I can.

I'd love to take all the credit for this, but it was actually someone else I learnt this from. It was around the time ML was released, and I was looking for this particular option myself. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was, but I'm almost certain it was a forum post.
gj.george is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:05 PM   #13
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Whats the difference between the "with drag lock" and "without drag lock" options?
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:53 PM   #14
gj.george
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Whats the difference between the "with drag lock" and "without drag lock" options?
I think the difference is that without the lock, if you lift your finger off the trackpad, the window you're dragging is also released, whereas with the lock you need to tap again to release it.

If I remember correctly, it worked this way in 10.8 (perhaps 10.8.1 too). In 10.8.2, however, it seems to be broken (or is it just my system?). A bug in 10.8.2 perhaps?
gj.george is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:47 PM   #15
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj.george View Post
I think the difference is that without the lock, if you lift your finger off the trackpad, the window you're dragging is also released, whereas with the lock you need to tap again to release it.

If I remember correctly, it worked this way in 10.8 (perhaps 10.8.1 too). In 10.8.2, however, it seems to be broken (or is it just my system?). A bug in 10.8.2 perhaps?
Thanks. That's what I figured, but it wasn't doing anything on my system either, so I thought maybe drag lock meant something else.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:19 AM   #16
yOyOYoo
macrumors 6502a

You guys are good!

I definitely did not find it user intuitive to find these options so buried in system preferences.
yOyOYoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air