Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:32 AM   #51
bostonburnsy
macrumors newbie

MacMall Retail Stores

For those who live in L.A. and Chicago, you may not know it but MacMall has retail stores there. You can get great deals in person and not have to wait for delivery! The one in Chicago is also having raffle prizes like MacBook Air, Mac mini, and AppleTV on Friday. If you're in those cities, it's worth checking out. Seems like most people don't know they now have retail stores.

http://www.macmall.com/n/Macmall-Ret...stomPages-4892
bostonburnsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:46 AM   #52
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonburnsy View Post
For those who live in L.A. and Chicago, you may not know it but MacMall has retail stores there. You can get great deals in person and not have to wait for delivery! The one in Chicago is also having raffle prizes like MacBook Air, Mac mini, and AppleTV on Friday. If you're in those cities, it's worth checking out. Seems like most people don't know they now have retail stores.

http://www.macmall.com/n/Macmall-Ret...stomPages-4892
That also means if you but online from them you get to pay taxes .

Not that it really matters for most items these are the same sale prices they have all the time.
TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:19 AM   #53
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowerofnone View Post
The computer was originally not for work as I didn't require it but as time has gone on I am using it more and more for that. I have access to clusters but it is often more convenient to run trial test with wide deltas to get an idea for how efficient and effective a program/design is, hence the need for an upgrade.

And no, I do not require Final Cut in my aeronautical work, that is for leisure, however I do require large MATLAB and CAD simulations involving potentially [>10^6 x >10^6] matrices.
Aeronautical work !

I never would have guessed that. Hats off to ya buddy. And for the love of god....Get a better system LOL

May I suggest waiting until April for the new Mac Pro ? You really don't need a laptop for heavy work. It will never have the power you require
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:33 AM   #54
faroZ06
Banned

Black Friday? Please, that's called Internet shopping every day of the year. The only reason to go buy stuff from a retail store is if it's too large to buy online with cheap shipping, if you want some kind of store-refurbished item, or if you want the experience of employees helping you with your shopping. The latter isn't going to happen on Black Friday.
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:32 AM   #55
wrkactjob
Banned

Oh I don't think you would get away with a special black shopping day in the UK! our laws are far too stringent and correct.

wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:33 AM   #56
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Well, I guess something off is better than nothing.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:22 AM   #57
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

For iPads, including the 4, BB has'em for $60 off across the board!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:22 AM   #58
CH34P3T
macrumors regular

Target has a $60 gift card with iPad 4 purchase. You can also take an extra 5% off if you have a RedCard.
CH34P3T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:33 AM   #59
AppleMacFinder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoof82 View Post
HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS YOU CAN GET $2 OFF A NEW BLUE iPod SHUFFLE! WOWEE-WOW!!!1!!1!eleventy!1!
Already $3 and 2. What a joke!

Last edited by AppleMacFinder; Nov 22, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
AppleMacFinder is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:57 AM   #60
bobob
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqq1 View Post
Old iMac model :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
You cannot possibly expect Apple to release a new version of a product and then immediately discount it on Black Friday.
I purchased my 27" iMac on sale from Apple on Black Friday 2009 just after it was launched - - so the expectation is hardly unprecedented.
bobob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:58 AM   #61
riverob
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Isn't that an Android tablet in the picture ?
No, it's a jailbroken iPad 5...
riverob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:18 AM   #62
JoeSixPack
macrumors member

----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Black Friday? Please, that's called Internet shopping every day of the year. The only reason to go buy stuff from a retail store is if it's too large to buy online with cheap shipping, if you want some kind of store-refurbished item, or if you want the experience of employees helping you with your shopping. The latter isn't going to happen on Black Friday.
"the experience of employees helping you with your shopping."

Now, that's funny, thanks I needed that laugh!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim Cookie View Post
I hope all of you who buy a big-ticket item without paying sales tax and then fail to pay use tax on said item get audited.
All these posts complaining about the inadequacy of the sellers discounts when really should be protesting that the sales/use tax rates are too high.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:00 AM   #63
johan.k
macrumors regular

1. MacMall online can't be access from overseas since yesterday.
2. Apple Store Oz is down and updating now.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:08 AM   #64
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Lots of people bitching about this. So you don't like money off deals. They don't have to lower their prices at all, surely its a bonus that they do.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:12 AM   #65
pilotError
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5RahuL View Post
For iPads, including the 4, BB has'em for $60 off across the board!
Well it saved me tax and a little more, so I can't complain. Now I need to find Apple Care for the things!
pilotError is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:58 AM   #66
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
I'm curious about your comment. How did you come to this understanding.

I would think that if I said "I'll see you on Friday at midnight" It would be clear that I meant Friday night.
Technically midnight is 0:00 And that is the morning. Friday 11:59pm is the last minute of friday evening before saturday morning midnight 0:00
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:58 AM   #67
Sir Holmes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
Lots of people bitching about this. So you don't like money off deals. They don't have to lower their prices at all, surely its a bonus that they do.
Yes, they don't have lower prices, but I am fully entitled to sneer at them when they discount a $1500 machine by $100 and act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobob View Post
I purchased my 27" iMac on sale from Apple on Black Friday 2009 just after it was launched - - so the expectation is hardly unprecedented.
THIS. So much this. I have been checking Apple's website regularly since the iMac announcement. Why can't I at least pre-order a new iMac? Don't give me this "Available in November" crap, Apple, just shut up and take my money!
Sir Holmes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:00 AM   #68
caughtintheweb
macrumors regular

$100 is a big amount for a lot of us whether you compare that to 499 or compare it to 1500, it does not matter.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Holmes View Post
Yes, they don't have lower prices, but I am fully entitled to sneer at them when they discount a $1500 machine by $100 and act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

THIS. So much this. I have been checking Apple's website regularly since the iMac announcement. Why can't I at least pre-order a new iMac? Don't give me this "Available in November" crap, Apple, just shut up and take my money!
$100 is a big amount for a lot of us whether you compare that to 499 or compare it to 1500, it does not matter.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:03 AM   #69
Sir Holmes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtintheweb View Post
Psht, it is for me too, especially when I count it in $1 bills. It's no "OMFG AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE" though. I'll pay all of that back in taxes anyway.
Sir Holmes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:16 AM   #70
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Holmes View Post
That's marketing and $100 is still $100 however you look at it its almost a 7% price cut. These products are selling well even without discounts so be thankful they are offering anything off at all.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:29 AM   #71
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowerofnone View Post
I do require large MATLAB and CAD simulations involving potentially [>10^6 x >10^6] matrices.
Assuming each cell is holding a floating point value (4 bytes), your data structure would be 4TB. I know you don't have 4TB of RAM, so processing would require virtual memory to overcome. Assuming you have 3GB RAM, that leaves, um, 3,997GB of data for virtual memory to handle. Do you have a 4TB hard drive in your 2008 MBP?

I'm not doubting you, I'd just really like to know how you're doing this.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:39 AM   #72
BruceEBonus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to BruceEBonus
Forget the "discounts" ... Here in the UK I went into Apple reseller and looked for a equivalent replacement MacBook to get for the missus' White MacBook which cost us about 700 four years ago. 1000? For a half gig hard drive? I never realised how bad the line up is. Shockingly bad value. Apple stuff was always a bit more expensive than PC equivalents. But you could justify the extra layout for the quality and its OS. Now "New Apple" (post Jobs) truly have missed the boat now. Far too many models. Far too expensive. And reduced features (like tiny flash drives combined with no DVD drives- for MORE cash) means I think we regrettably will be going with Mr.Gates next time round. Terrible..

The spontaneous halo effect of the iPhone and iPods will be lost unless New Apple get back on track and stop ripping people off like this. There's justified loyalty and there's blind, naive stupidity. And folks these days have more sense than cash- at least Id like to think so :-(
BruceEBonus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:45 AM   #73
bostonburnsy
macrumors newbie

Complain, Complain, Complain

I realize this is an Internet forum and therefore the default home of complaining, but wow guys. This is an APPLE forum, you should all be well aware that there is little margin for companies on Apple products as well as the fact that most places NEVER sell Apple products for less. What were you expecting, half off? iPads for $20? Buy one get one free? Do your shopping in an alley and enjoy the painted block of wood you get.

And the constant whining about taxes - enough already. Vote if you don't like your taxes. Complain to your state, most of whom are changing tax laws to require tax be paid to them even if the retailer doesn't exist in the state (see Amazon) and stop blaming the store for charging tax.

These posts are telling people options, and the chance to find a way to save maybe just a little bit more. Every penny counts today. In case you haven't read the news, most retailers are suffering badly the last few years and many of these deals are money-losers just trying to salvage the year. If you don't think it's a great deal, don't buy it. But you're ignorant of facts if you think they should be giving products away for even less.

I guess I'm crazy for thinking a Forum could be home to useful comments, not just cranky whiners yelling "First!" and complaining about reality not being fair enough.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
bostonburnsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:59 AM   #74
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

10 reasons why Apple doesn't care about Black Friday

Here
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:12 AM   #75
nfilg
macrumors newbie

any aussie here? 2 compare:
http://store.apple.com/au/browse/holiday/shopping_event