Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:38 PM   #1
asdad123
macrumors regular

Did I get screwed over (bought a used iPhone)

Hey guys I recently bought a used iPhone 4S for Verizon on Craigslist.

I checked the ESN on Verizon's online esn website and it said "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network" so I figured great, there shouldn't be a problem.

I went home and tried to activate it, and Verizon said that its already activated so they can't activate it onto my phone. I called the person I bought it from, and he told me they called Verizon and that it is deactivated from their account cause they upgraded to the 5. So I called Verizon and they said the same thing. I then called the seller again and they told him that they same thing as the first time, that its not active anymore on his account, but its active on another account (which isn't mine).

So basically... Did I get screwed over? I would think if the seller was just trying to sell a stolen phone or anything wouldn't respond to my texts, but it seems like they're doing everything they can to help me. I don't know what to do anymore.
asdad123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Seems like you got screwed. I would have gone with the seller to a Verizon store to make sure that you could activate it on your account before buying.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Explicitic
macrumors Demi-God

Verizon's online ESN checking system is worthless. I once had a delinquent account with Verizon (I totally forgot about the account and never received a paper bill until it was like 2 months past-due...) and checked my phone's (a Galaxy Nexus) ESN on their website and it said the same thing, "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network." So to sum it all up, it doesn't work and you got screwed over.
Explicitic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
asdad123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicitic View Post
Verizon's online ESN checking system is worthless. I once had a delinquent account with Verizon (I totally forgot about the account and never received a paper bill until it was like 2 months past-due...) and checked my phone's (a Galaxy Nexus) ESN on their website and it said the same thing, "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network." So to sum it all up, it doesn't work and you got screwed over.
That's what I'm figuring, but I would think that the seller wouldnt answer my texts but they are lol.
asdad123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
LoloBond
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdad123 View Post
That's what I'm figuring, but I would think that the seller wouldnt answer my texts but they are lol.
Just mention the seller that Verizon told you the phone its stolen and that they advise to turn it in to the police. You'll see how he move his ass and help you.
LoloBond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:56 PM   #6
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

This is why I activate my phones on the spot..

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone