Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1
bamaster
macrumors member

Buyer wants receipts?

I'm selling a Macbook on eBay and the potential buyer is asking for a receipt. I've provided the serial so they can see that it's still under warranty. But is there any risk to giving someone a PDF of my receipts?

Thanks for your response.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaster View Post
I'm selling a Macbook on eBay and the potential buyer is asking for a receipt. I've provided the serial so they can see that it's still under warranty. But is there any risk to giving someone a PDF of my receipts?

Thanks for your response.
Black out your credit card number. Suppose he wants to make sure it's not stolen?
tdhurst is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
bamaster
macrumors member

The receipts don't show the whole credit card number, just the last four digits. Nothing to worry there. But they do have my address and phone number.

They do have order and customer numbers. I don't mind showing these if there's nothing he/she can do with them. I also want to make sure they feel secure that the equipment is mine and not stolen.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

I'm probably over cautious but these days, it's probably a good idea. I'd black out the address and phone number. I don't want someone coming to my house or trying to steal it. I'd also black out the order and customer numbers too. Who knows what clever way someone could scam service/warranty stuff with those. If the buyer questions this, tell them they'll get the numbers with the completed purchase (minus address/phone). If they don't like that, move on.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Do NOT give the receipt. No matter what you do. Serial number is enough proof. People can defraud Apple with the receipt if you give it to them.
Squilly is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:11 PM   #6
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

You can sell it to many other people. In no way would I give them any receipts. They are for your purposes only and would do nothing for the new buyer. They have the serial number and proof of purchase from Paypal (if that is how they pay) and Ebay. I know this may cost you a few dollars in bids but not worth it.
firedept is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Did you even ask why they want it?
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice