Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1
underblu
macrumors regular

is the 13" MBA the new sweet spot for Mac Laptops

Been thinking of adding a MBA to go along with my awesome Sandybridge 17" MBP.

I really don't like the iPad I picked up recently. It kinda sucks for anything other than movies and web browsing and even there I'd prefer a laptop (for web browsing)

That led me to look at the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA.

I have to say the 13" MBA seems to be a price performance leader here.

While the MBPs have higher clocked dual core chips this speed bump doesn't seem like a significant performance difference

The MBA offers better resolution than the cMBp 13", in a much smaller lighter more portable package

While the rMBP provides superior resolution to the air and a light and thin form factor, it still doesn't best the air in portability and it's high resolution display will likely come at a penalty in ultimate graphic performance. Not to mention it cost several hundred more than the MBA

Just my thoughts here.
underblu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Agreed. The MBA will eventually replace what used to be the 13" MBP spot as the most popular "go to" laptop for consumers. It's lighter, has a better screen resolution and comes with an SSD. The SSD compensates for the lower processor speed and actually makes the Air way faster than the base MBP.

Definitely the sweet spot mac.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:22 PM   #3
xekret
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by underblu View Post
Been thinking of adding a MBA to go along with my awesome Sandybridge 17" MBP.

I really don't like the iPad I picked up recently. It kinda sucks for anything other than movies and web browsing and even there I'd prefer a laptop (for web browsing)

That led me to look at the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA.

I have to say the 13" MBA seems to be a price performance leader here.

While the MBPs have higher clocked dual core chips this speed bump doesn't seem like a significant performance difference

The MBA offers better resolution than the cMBp 13", in a much smaller lighter more portable package

While the rMBP provides superior resolution to the air and a light and thin form factor, it still doesn't best the air in portability and it's high resolution display will likely come at a penalty in ultimate graphic performance. Not to mention it cost several hundred more than the MBA

Just my thoughts here.
I'm with you on the iPad bit, doesn't really do it for me after owning it. I myself prefer the 13" retina over the Air, but if I had to buy right now I would definitely get the Air. It makes more sense money wise to me. I am going to hold off if I can until next year for the spec bump and hopefully the retina will have a better onboard GPU. Just my .02
xekret is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Didn't somebody say the 13" Air is Apple's best seller?

But are you gonna buy statistics or are you going to buy something SUITABLE FOR YOU?
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:17 PM   #5
throAU
macrumors 68030

For most people, yup.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air