Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

konsoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Guys,

Bit of a novice when it comes to this subject matter, I think I understand it and then when I try to implement things it doesn't work.

The Aim: Is to have a wireless network that will allow me to share/view files from my iMac or my external HD on a PS3.

The Equipment: PS3 (2nd gen), iMac 27" late 2009 8gb RAM, Wireless router, 2 ethernet cables, Western Digital 1TB USB 3 HD.

It's important to not that I don't have an internet connection here so it'd be a case of setting up a netwrok through the router I guess.

Can somebody please point me in the right way to set this up as ideally I'd like to have an ethernet cable running direct from the mac to the PS3 to stream video files rather than using the wide acclaimed PS3 Media Server (it is my understanding that this would remove the buffering problem I've heard people get using PS3MS).

Please help if you can. Thanks! :)

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Of everything you listed you left out the only really important bit - what kind of router is it? That's the bit that's going to be doing all of the connecting.
Most routers have an admin screen that will let you set them up and you get to it by browsing to it through any web browser - but you need to know its address and usually its best to do so with a computer thats connected to it directly by ethernet.

If it's been monkeyed about with previously you may find it easiest to reset the router to factory defaults at this point - there's usually a paperclip hole or button somewhere to do that.

Most routers set themselves up at either http://192.168.0.1 or http://10.1.1.1 - the default address is often written on the back of the router. Chances are it will ask you for an admin login and/or password at that point - sometimes the defaults are written on the back also or in the manual or try the interwebs or generics like admin / password or admin / admin

Get that far and the rest should be relatively easy (or post back with the router brand and model)

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
If you have the router set up (or is that the problem? the defaults should be fine and the lack of internet shouldn't make any difference)
- I'm assuming through the Mac, so that's already connected, or you now have the wireless network running so the Mac can connect to it that way also -
then you just need to set up sharing for the external drive and/or any folders on the Mac that you want made public.

System Prefs > Sharing > File Sharing allows you to add folders and set who can access them. Add your external there and set Everyone to Read Only

The other side of it, the PS3, is completely out of my realm so I can't help you any there. My general experience with Sony is that they are as wilful as Apple at doing things in a non-standard way but with luck, if you can connect it to the wireless network, and it has has some form of network browser that can connect to Samba file shares, you should see the Mac there, be able to open it to see the shares available and be able to select a volume to connect to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.