Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:03 PM   #1
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502

Thumbs up Picked up a Mini today

I've been playing with the iPad Mini that I bought earlier today. I have to say that a lot of the criticism that I've seen about it is unwarranted IMHO. Before I bought it I spent ~30 minutes comparing the Mini to the Nexus 7, as I had not made up my mind on which one to buy. In my comparison, the Mini is snappier then the N7, the screen is just as nice, at least to my eye, and the overall fit and finish of the Mini is very nice! I got the 32GB slate and smart cover. I scored the Mini for $409. Overall I am very happy with the purchase.
midwestfisherma is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:17 PM   #2
marc11
macrumors 68000

Lol another "I bought something and need to justify it to the world" thread. Glad you enjoy your purchase.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfisherma View Post
I've been playing with the iPad Mini that I bought earlier today. I have to say that a lot of the criticism that I've seen about it is unwarranted IMHO. Before I bought it I spent ~30 minutes comparing the Mini to the Nexus 7, as I had not made up my mind on which one to buy. In my comparison, the Mini is snappier then the N7, the screen is just as nice, at least to my eye, and the overall fit and finish of the Mini is very nice! I got the 32GB slate and smart cover. I scored the Mini for $409. Overall I am very happy with the purchase.
Another happy iPad Mini customer. Seriously, just ignore all the negative useless comments in this thread. These people live to comment negatively about the mini and try to sap the joy out of it for everyone who buys a mini. Enjoy your purchase and don't let them spoil it for you. I love my mini too.
Ladybug is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:41 PM   #4
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

I am in love with my new Mini too!

My screen isn't defective or hazy/blurry like some but looks much better! Games look beautiful and HD content looks great to me.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:27 AM   #5
lianlua
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Lol another "I bought something and need to justify it to the world" thread. Glad you enjoy your purchase.
With a matching "I just want to rain on the parade because I don't like it" comment.

At least it's not another "I'm shocked that this non-retina display is non-retina" thread. Duplicates are annoying, but not as annoying as the constant sniping. Duplicate threads would fade away by themselves if people redirected the discussion to the existing threads.

Midwestfisherma, congratulations on buying something that meets your needs and expectations. I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of it.
lianlua is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:21 AM   #6
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a

cool, congrats! which color of smart cover did you get? I got one also
MacBook Pro | 15 Retina Display
iHeartsteve is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:30 AM   #7
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

the screen is not as nice, that is a fact not an opinion, there may be a problem with that person's eyes where they can not notice a difference, but that is a separate issue

Last edited by maflynn; Nov 22, 2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Removed delete post from quote
JoeShades is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:45 AM   #8
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
the screen is not as nice, that is a fact not an opinion, there may be a problem with that person's eyes where they can not notice a difference, but that is a separate issue
That is an opinion hon. I didn't say the screen is glorious but yes, it is fine.

It's sad that some folks get opinions mixed up with fact. If you have an opinion, it doesn't make it fact, it makes it your experience only.

Watching movies and playing games, the games look great. If you looked at a screen that was defective, who knows. I prefer Retina but the screen on the Mini is actually just fine.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:10 AM   #9
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

Mini :7.9-inch IPS, 1,024x768 pixels (163 ppi)

n7: 7-inch IPS, 1,280x800 pixels (216 ppi)

Those are facts, you can prefer the lower resolution for some reason but it does not change the facts about the screen. it is like saying standard Def TV is as good as HD , it is not, you for some reason may or may not notice a difference because of vision problems but one is clearly superior to the other. i have an ipad mini, the screen is fine but not the same quality of the N7 or the retina ipad

Last edited by JoeShades; Nov 22, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
JoeShades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:20 AM   #10
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

Quote:

Those are facts, you can prefer the lower resolution for some reason but it does not change the facts about the screen. it is like saying standard Def TV is as good as HD , it is not, you for some reason may or may not notice a difference because of vision problems but one is clearly superior to the other. i have an ipad mini, the screen is fine but not the same quality of the N7 or the retina ipad
Are you misunderstanding the word nice with something else? Despite you pasting a bunch of stuff here, still doesn't lessen my opinion or how I feel about the display.

We just have different opinions
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:23 AM   #11
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

The Nexus 7 needs a higher PPI, the screen is tiny compared to the iPad Mini - especially if you put it in landscape orientation.
Eadfrith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:26 AM   #12
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

The word nice is an opinion and probably the wrong choice by that person who said no it is not. probably better to say the quality of the screen is not as good. we share the same opinion, the screen of the ipad mini is fine but when the retina one comes out i will be getting the better screen

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadfrith View Post
The Nexus 7 needs a higher PPI, the screen is tiny compared to the iPad Mini - especially if you put it in landscape orientation.
the higher PPI would be needed for a bigger screen more but yeah apple made the better choice by going 4:3 nexus in landscape is not good mainly because of less space on the 16:9. i hope apple does not change it like they did with the iphone 5, better PPI or not the 16:9 for 7 inch tablets is not good for things othr than video

Last edited by JoeShades; Nov 22, 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:40 AM   #13
lianlua
macrumors 6502

Quote:
it is like saying standard Def TV is as good as HD , it is not, you for some reason may or may not notice a difference because of vision problems but one is clearly superior to the other.
No, it isn't like that at all. It's like saying that a 40" 720p television is better than a 50" 720p television because the pixels are smaller. One is not "clearly superior" to the other unless the only measure of quality that you have is the size of the pixels.
Quote:
probably better to say the quality of the screen is not as good.
No, it is better to say that the resolution and pixel density is not as good.
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:46 AM   #14
hanschien
macrumors 6502

For me it's superior to the iPad 1 that I'm upgrading from. The speed is good but the size and weight is incredible. I also had an iPad 4th gen unopened while I waited for the mini bit returned it.
hanschien is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:35 AM   #15
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
The screen is very nice. Get over yourself

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:59 AM   #16
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

The mini is awesome.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:56 AM   #17
iLLUMI
macrumors regular

I finally got round to testing one out today and I have to say I'm rather impressed by the display and the speed. I'm very tempted to get one just for the sake of having one.
Enjoy your Mini midwestfisherman.
iLLUMI is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:15 AM   #18
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
Another happy iPad Mini customer. Seriously, just ignore all the negative useless comments in this thread. These people live to comment negatively about the mini and try to sap the joy out of it for everyone who buys a mini. Enjoy your purchase and don't let them spoil it for you. I love my mini too.
Honestly, I find the best way to enjoy your purchase is to just enjoy it, and don't post about it. Anything you post online will be met with at least some critism. And that's just no fun.

That or blog about it and turn off the comments :P
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:31 AM   #19
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Quote:

The iPad mini has about the same amount of ppi more then the iPad 2. Can you notice that easily? No. The difference between the iPad mini and nexus 7 screens are practically negligible. Just like the nexus 10 and iPad 4 screens are a wash.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:28 AM   #20
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
Honestly, I find the best way to enjoy your purchase is to just enjoy it, and don't post about it. Anything you post online will be met with at least some critism. And that's just no fun.

That or blog about it and turn off the comments :P
You are of course right about the comments, I totally agree. BTW, love your sig.
Ladybug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:40 AM   #21
klover
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

+1

N7 also has wider color gamut, higher contrast, and lower black level. If the qualities of the N7 panel were combined with the awesome form/weight of the mini, this would be a killer product.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:10 AM   #22
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianlua View Post
No, it isn't like that at all. It's like saying that a 40" 720p television is better than a 50" 720p television because the pixels are smaller. One is not "clearly superior" to the other unless the only measure of quality that you have is the size of the pixels.

No, it is better to say that the resolution and pixel density is not as good.
No the two 720 TVs have the same resolution the nexus 7 and mini do not so comparing the two is not the same

Last edited by SilentPanda; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: removed insult
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:17 AM   #23
matrix07
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Resolution is only one of many criteria to judge how great the screen is, and that is a fact. And btw, the SD/HD comparison is just so off the mark I wonder if you can really judge a screen quality.

Last edited by matrix07; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
matrix07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:20 AM   #24
AndroidBlows
macrumors member

The screen is terrible. Looks like an old school .28 dpi monitor.

Oh well.
AndroidBlows is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:30 AM   #25
JoeShades
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
Resolution is only one of many criteria to judge how great the screen is, and that is a fact. And btw, the SD/HD comparison is just so off the mark I wonder if you can really judge a screen quality.
Yeah you know another way to judge the screen ? Look at it. If you can't see the difference then you just don't want to

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad