Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

AppleCare US international cover

I've bought Applecare in the US for my Macbook but in the UK now and cant seem to get an answer from the online chat bots on the Apple Store as to whether I'm covered here.
I checked the Applecare US T&C's and there's this in there
"For international service, Apple
may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and
parts that comply with local standards"

Anyone have a similar experience, were you covered in a different country?

Last edited by LaunchpadBS; Nov 22, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
LaunchpadBS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
johan.k
macrumors regular

I had no issue using US Applecare and even UK will do. Be caution, when it comes from European esp. Italy and Czech Rep.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan.k View Post
I had no issue using US Applecare and even UK will do. Be caution, when it comes from European esp. Italy and Czech Rep.
Forgot to mention I bought it in the US
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:47 AM   #4
PDE
macrumors 68020

It's valid internationally wherever Applecare is sold. It doesn't matter where you bought it, so you'll be fine in the UK. Speaking from long experience of buying applecare in the U.S. and using it all over the world. It's one of the real advantages of applecare...
PDE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:52 AM   #5
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDE View Post
It's valid internationally wherever Applecare is sold. It doesn't matter where you bought it, so you'll be fine in the UK. Speaking from long experience of buying applecare in the U.S. and using it all over the world. It's one of the real advantages of applecare...
Great, thanks
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:27 AM   #6
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchpadBS View Post
I've bought Applecare in the US for my Macbook but in the UK now and cant seem to get an answer from the online chat bots on the Apple Store as to whether I'm covered here.
I checked the Applecare US T&C's and there's this in there
"For international service, Apple
may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and
parts that comply with local standards"

Anyone have a similar experience, were you covered in a different country?
For example, if your US power plug breaks in the UK, a store in the UK might have a problem replacing it. It might even be illegal for them to sell you a US power plug (I don't think it is, but it's not unreasonable). So you might get a UK power plug instead. Or they might not be able to fix a broken US keyboard and only have a UK one to replace it.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:42 PM   #7
emilsp
macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the basic one-year warranty also works internationally?

I live in Europe and a friend will be bringing me a rMBP from the US. I see no reason to buy AppleCare, but if my retina display develops serious IR in the first year I would like to get it fixed.
emilsp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:34 AM   #8
Acari
macrumors newbie

Yes, your manufacturer's warrenty will be honoured by any Apple store. But, tbh, there's no reason not to buy Applecare. Read CNet, or pretty much any forum. The nay-sayers are people who never bought it because of the stigma of extended warrenties. Every person who has purchased and used their Applecare loves it & will tell you how valuable it is. I've yet to encounter a person who regrets protecting their investment with Applecare
Acari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:53 AM   #9
emilsp
macrumors newbie

Thanks for clarifying, now I can sleep calmly

With regards to AppleCare, simple math tells me it can't be a good deal. Let's say that the resell value of my rMBP base model will be $1000 a year from now which is also how much the most expensive repair could cost. Priced at $250, AppleCare only makes sense if there is a 25% chance of my MacBook failing within the second and third year only. I think this figure is more like 5%, but that of course is a guesstimate.

Sure, the laptop might break down but that would most likely happen due to other reasons. A manufacturing defect is unlikely to first appear after one year of daily use.
emilsp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice