Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adster3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
The lightening power connector is loose and drops the charge if moved, even slightly, while plugged in. It was working fine, and one day this started happening, no physical trauma occurred to the device or connector. Is anyone else having issues with a loose connection (lightening into the phone, not the USB or plug side)?

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
The lightening power connector is loose and drops the charge if moved, even slightly, while plugged in. It was working fine, and one day this started happening, no physical trauma occurred to the device or connector. Is anyone else having issues with a loose connection (lightening into the phone, not the USB or plug side)?

Hi,

Yea exact same issue here. Did you bring it to the Apple Store and inquired about it?

lylemo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
Loose iPhone 5 lightning connector

The original post for this thread is a bit old, but the "cure" is simple and relevant, thanks to:https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1512868/. The last 2 posts of that thread (itsmemuffins & Skika) provided the means. A light touch with a paper clip did it for me...gobs of fuzzy stuff came out...now all is well.

Last edited:

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Should be a nice snug fit. If its not, then look inside for anything blocking the connector from properly being inserted.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Kinda strange. To me, it would seem more likely for the old style connector to get clogged with debris compared to the new lightning connector.

lylemo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
Fuzzy physics?

Okay, people, we do need to keep our sense of humor through this deep discussion. For those of us with fuzzy pockets, we are apt to face this loose connector problem several times in the future, so we must be vigilant to the factors involved here. A serious consultant (most consultants are very serious!) has an opinion concerning the likelihood of a fuzz-induced “crisis”, namely, that the older 30-pin connector has all those “fins” slicing the fuzz into very small pieces (“microscopic fuzzlets”). This makes it less likely that the fuzz will accumulate and block the connection. The lightning connector works like a plunger...it progressively compacts the accumulating fuzz into the single opening. Eventually the connection is compromised. This is apparently what happened in my situation. So, perhaps we can call this "fuzzy physics", as contrasted with "fuzzy math"...but that’s another problem. The irony is that the original post in this thread was written 6 months ago, and we don’t know if Adster3000 found a solution. Did Adster3000 have fuzzy pockets like me? Hmmm...a conundrum. Okay...I’ll stop now.

alice04

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2013
Should be a nice snug fit. If its not, then look inside for anything blocking the connector from properly being inserted.

Yep2! This is true, it happened to me with my iP4s before and I was soooo mad with the loose connector not knowing that there's some dusts blocking it. Just check the plug again before you contact apple :)

lylemo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
Is it the plug that is messed up or the phone connector?

Probably neither the plug or connector are defective. The problem can occur when the plug progressively compacts fuzz into the device's receptacle to such a point that the connection is intermittent or lost. IF fuzz is the problem, just gently clean it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.