Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
ttx336
macrumors newbie

Still cannot rip 3:10 To Yuma with Handbrake

This thing seems to be invincible... I have followed numerous suggestions about choosing specific titles, using the Open Specific (something like that), etc. I went to DVD player to see which title is playing during the actual movie playback, it shows title 1 but that doesn't work in ripping. I have gone to the effort of trying each and every one of the titles to no avail, even typing in the ones that do not show up when I let Handbrake scan for sources.

I'm running 0.9.8 64 bit - this is the first time Handbrake has ever failed me, it is truly a great program!
ttx336 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:02 AM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttx336 View Post
This thing seems to be invincible... I have followed numerous suggestions about choosing specific titles, using the Open Specific (something like that), etc. I went to DVD player to see which title is playing during the actual movie playback, it shows title 1 but that doesn't work in ripping. I have gone to the effort of trying each and every one of the titles to no avail, even typing in the ones that do not show up when I let Handbrake scan for sources.

I'm running 0.9.8 64 bit - this is the first time Handbrake has ever failed me, it is truly a great program!
Have you tried ripping with MakeMKV then transcoding with HB?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:36 PM   #3
ttx336
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Have you tried ripping with MakeMKV then transcoding with HB?
I have not, I am trying to keep the amount of software that I add to this machine at a minimum, I followed some advice on the Handbrake forum to try the latest nightly build and that did the trick.
ttx336 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:43 PM   #4
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Haha I know! I just keep it as a large DVD image in my library when everything else has been converted to a mp4
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:01 AM   #5
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttx336 View Post
I have not, I am trying to keep the amount of software that I add to this machine at a minimum
So remove it when you are done with it. I don't see what the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Haha I know! I just keep it as a large DVD image in my library when everything else has been converted to a mp4
MakeMKV does not create an image of the DVD, it just rips the content that you want from the disc. An image of the disc is something else entirely.

Last edited by brand; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:14 PM   #6
ZmyDust
macrumors regular

Sure makemkv might work, but Handbrake for me, since I learned the Open Source Title trick ha been incredibly reliable. So why doesn't it work? Let's problem solve rather than take another full step.

I'm having this same problem with not only 3:10 to Yuma, but also the movie "21". One thing to note is that both of the movies start with a number, and both come up not simply as 21 but <21> when the disc is entered. Could it be the brackets holding it back? Any ideas on why this would happen?

I tried to take out the brackets on the destination file and still it doesnt rip right. For me it rips a 4kb file with 0:00 running time of video and only takes about a second before it says the rip is complete.
ZmyDust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:40 AM   #7
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

... as the OP said, the nightly build of HB worked.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:30 PM   #8
ThisOneHere
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
Sure makemkv might work, but Handbrake for me, since I learned the Open Source Title trick ha been incredibly reliable. So why doesn't it work? Let's problem solve rather than take another full step.

I'm having this same problem with not only 3:10 to Yuma, but also the movie "21". One thing to note is that both of the movies start with a number, and both come up not simply as 21 but <21> when the disc is entered. Could it be the brackets holding it back? Any ideas on why this would happen?

I tried to take out the brackets on the destination file and still it doesnt rip right. For me it rips a 4kb file with 0:00 running time of video and only takes about a second before it says the rip is complete.
I converted both 3:10 to Yuma and 21 without issue using MakeMKV then Handbrake. If you're having issues using Handbrake directly, try the nightly build as previously suggested, but if that doesn't work, just use MakeMKV. All it does is rip the portion of the full disc you want (such as video, selected audio and subtitles). It takes about 20-25 minutes to rip using MakeMKV. It's freeware, only a few MBs, and can be easily removed afterwards. You answered your own question about brackets, since removing them didn't help. I think it's an issue with that version of Handbrake and the disc encryption type (or version of encryption) used in those movies. MakeMKV would remove that encryption, which is why that works fine.

Seems more efficient to do that and get it over with and move on with life than to waste days waiting for someone to tell you why Handbrake couldn't do it directly... Just my opinion (speaking from experience with those movies). Good luck!
ThisOneHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater