Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Duroduto
macrumors newbie

Building and Running C++ Code from within XCode 5

Hello, everyone:

I am starting to learn C++ on my Mac, and when I downloaded the new XCode 5, I couldn't figure out how to run a C++ file! I know that you go to OSX -> Application -> Console Application -> C++, but how do I edit the file from there? Also, how do I build and run the file?

And I have previous knowledge of like Java and Python and others, so please do not reply saying: "Oh noes! You shouldn't learn C++ if your a noob!"

Thanks,
Duroduto
Duroduto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Blakeasd
macrumors 6502a

In the left-most sidebar you should see a list of files in the project. From their you should see a .cpp file. To edit it, select it and it should appear in the editor. To build and run, click the button at the top of the window that looks like a play button.

Hopefully that helps!
Blakeasd is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duroduto View Post
Hello, everyone:

I am starting to learn C++ on my Mac, and when I downloaded the new XCode 5, I couldn't figure out how to run a C++ file! I know that you go to OSX -> Application -> Console Application -> C++, but how do I edit the file from there? Also, how do I build and run the file?

And I have previous knowledge of like Java and Python and others, so please do not reply saying: "Oh noes! You shouldn't learn C++ if your a noob!"

Thanks,
Duroduto
Did you look through _all_ the Xcode menus?
Did you find one that says "Build"?
Did you find one that says "Run"?
Did you find any menu items that lead you to documentation?
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming