Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
It's been two months since Apple ditched Google Maps for their own.

At the time, public transit app developers saw this as an opportunity for public transit apps to flourish.

I'm still on iOS 5 for one sole reason: I use public transit, and Google Maps provides that, and Apple Maps doesn't.

I'm wondering what the status of public transit apps is now, two months later. Has any apps became clear winners? Have they begun to deliver better experiences/accuracy than Google Maps?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I don't think you're ever going to see a "winner". It's too difficult for a smaller company to offer coverage on a large scale.

We've seen Apps that are limited to railways or one particular city, but nothing like Google.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
It's been two months since Apple ditched Google Maps for their own.

At the time, public transit app developers saw this as an opportunity for public transit apps to flourish.

I'm still on iOS 5 for one sole reason: I use public transit, and Google Maps provides that, and Apple Maps doesn't.

I'm wondering what the status of public transit apps is now, two months later. Has any apps became clear winners? Have they begun to deliver better experiences/accuracy than Google Maps?

It really depends on the city/area.

Here in New York there's a ton of transit apps: http://mta.info/apps/

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Depends where you will use it most often...that's the point (and why it is better than Google trying to cover the world)

In the US, I've used HopStop for every city I have visited so far and it has been awesome. Way better than Google ever was for both info and transit options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.