Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:30 AM   #26
cdmoore74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
I taunt people who own android phones. My deactivated old iPhone is still better than their activated android phone, and they KNOW it.
Big talk when surrounded by your friends. The numbers don't lie; Android is killing the competition and that's a fact. You will be using a Android device in the near future based on the growth rate. The iPhone 5 is not even on the list any more. It's between the HTC DNA and the Note 2. I got my wife a iPhone 5 because it was made for women, children and guys with tight pants and small hands.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:01 AM   #27
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Well what about notes, text messages from past lovers, contacts. Becomes difficult to save those.
Backup/sync to computer, where presumably you have more, and longer term, storage space. Then only sync what you want to the new phone. Then wipe and sell old phone, turn off iMessages first.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:04 AM   #28
Gunny011
macrumors regular

I gave my old 1 to my dad. Was going to use it as an iPod touch but I already use a Nano.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:05 AM   #29
B.A.T
macrumors 6502

I unlocked my iPhone 4 and sent it to a friend in Australia. Now we iMessage, FaceTime and send photos/ short videos for free.
B.A.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:23 AM   #30
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Big talk when surrounded by your friends. The numbers don't lie; Android is killing the competition and that's a fact. You will be using a Android device in the near future based on the growth rate. The iPhone 5 is not even on the list any more. It's between the HTC DNA and the Note 2. I got my wife a iPhone 5 because it was made for women, children and guys with tight pants and small hands.
Just because its used more doesn't make it better... Is a Prius better than a Ferrari? And the iPhone 4S sold 50 million units and the 5 sold 5 million units in the first weekend, so it's still one of the best selling phones in the world. But that's not here nor there.

Back on topic: Old iPhones are good for the kids, iPod, gaming device etc.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:41 AM   #31
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well what about notes, text messages from past lovers, contacts. Becomes difficult to save those.
Sync your old phone to iTunes, then restore the backup onto your new phone.

Boom, all your text messages, contacts, etc. will be restored.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:46 AM   #32
needfx
macrumors 68020

file vault, backup device (if primary smartphone fails), bluetooth modem
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:16 AM   #33
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So you still have a dumbphone? Because you are neither a woman, child or a man. And by the way, I did own a razr maxx piece of crap. But how would you know that? Dumb people only own dumbphones. Smart people own smart phones, and geniuses own iPhones.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:34 AM   #34
noteple
macrumors 6502a

My first 3G has an L5 adapter and is being used as an IR remote for the home entertainment system.
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:58 PM   #35
Highboy90
macrumors member

Took my friends gophone SIM card and put it in my old 3GS and gave it to her.
Highboy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:19 PM   #36
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Big talk when surrounded by your friends. The numbers don't lie; Android is killing the competition and that's a fact. You will be using a Android device in the near future based on the growth rate.
This just can't be because there are dozens of companies making devices for Android and only one company making devices for iOS. No way.

Quote:
The iPhone 5 is not even on the list any more. It's between the HTC DNA and the Note 2. I got my wife a iPhone 5 because it was made for women, children and guys with tight pants and small hands.
So you're one of the guys who needs a phone with the biggest screen possible? Possibly to compensate for something else? The iPhone 5 is the perfect size to completely fill your hand but still be completely useable with just your thumb. Can't say that for the Galaxy Note. Good luck using that thing with one hand or fitting it in your pocket. If I need a bigger screen than the iPhone, I'll just use my iPad.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:39 PM   #37
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Android doesn't even retina display yet

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
file vault, backup device (if primary smartphone fails), bluetooth modem
I use mine as a black book for highly sensitive information. I guess you could say that's a vault backup
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:45 PM   #38
AppleBoyFreak
macrumors 6502

I use my family upgrades to get the newest iPhone and then I pass down my old one to who ever wants it for free. Currently my mom has only bought 1 iPhone but has owned an actual total of 4 because of this system.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:09 PM   #39
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

I gave my 3GS to my Mum when I bought my 4S, and gave my boss my 4S to give to his wife to replace her 3GS when he bought me a 5. My sister is next in line, then my brother. By that time my Mum's 3GS will be obsolete, so she'll get the next one, and maybe my Dad could do with one to replace his 3310...

If you have family you'll never have to wonder what to do with an old iPhone, unless they're all rich enough to buy their own, in which case give it to the butler!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:32 PM   #40
TG1
macrumors 6502

Use as iPod touch, gift for family member, sell on Craigslist for cash.
TG1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:05 PM   #41
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You're an idiot. Thanks for the laugh.
duneriderltr450 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:21 PM   #42
RealSkyDiver
macrumors 6502

unlock + ebay
2011 MacBook Air 13" - 1.8 GHz i7, 4GB, 256 SSD, Carbon Skinned
RealSkyDiver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:39 AM   #43
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Android doesn't even retina display
Of course an operating system doesn't have a retina display! . Retina isn't even a real thing. It's a term apple pulled out of their ass for a high resolution display. And there a plenty of Android DEVICES that have that, and even beat Apple's "Retina" display. But I'm not getting into that pissing match here again with all of the iSheep and fandroids. There's enough of that already.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:19 AM   #44
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

I usually just wipe and sell the old iPhone on eBay or Craigslist. One can never have too much cash. As for the information that was on my old iPhones, I always backup and then restore to the newest one and therefore still have all my settings, photos, messages, notes, contacts etc. in tact all since 2008.
Mr Hill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:25 AM   #45
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hill View Post
I usually just wipe and sell the old iPhone on eBay or Craigslist. One can never have too much cash. As for the information that was on my old iPhones, I always backup and then restore to the newest one and therefore still have all my settings, photos, messages, notes, contacts etc. in tact all since 2008.
I was thinking about doing exactly this which is what I have done before.

The only problem I have with it is that I will be putting 5,000+ pictures and 1000 plus notes and all these old contacts I never use on my brand new phone and it wil feel cluttered.

I kind of wanted to start fresh without the clutter...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:39 AM   #46
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:

The only problem I have with it is that I will be putting 5,000+ pictures and 1000 plus notes and all these old contacts I never use on my brand new phone and it wil feel cluttered.

Delete what clutter you don't need before you back it up. Or make two backups. One with all the clutter and one without.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:47 AM   #47
VulchR
macrumors 68000

My kids get my old phones as hand-me-downs. My youngest is still incredibly irresponsible, so there is no point getting a new phone only to have it destroyed or lost by a feckless (but loved) teenager. The threat I tell my kid is that if my old iPhone gets destroyed or lost, my old Samsung clam shell will take its place.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:02 PM   #48
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
Delete what clutter you don't need before you back it up. Or make two backups. One with all the clutter and one without.

Yea there's no question I have tried but there are notes, pictures, texts from lovers gone by, that I just don't need today but don't want to delete forever...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:16 PM   #49
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040

I'm keeping my 3GS hooked up to a speaker dock for streaming music.

It's working out nicely
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:31 PM   #50
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Just save the photos to your computer and delete them from your phone before backing up. The notes and stuff don't take up very much space so you can leave those. Before I finally got a 64GB iPhone, I always used to delete my old photos from my phone and put them in a folder on my computer so that they didn't take up too much of my space.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone