Install Snow Leopard on a new 2012 iMac? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:16 PM   #1
douglas
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Install Snow Leopard on a new 2012 iMac?

I'm looking at buying a new 27" iMac after they are released. However I would like to install Snow Leopard as the OS (don't like the bloat and iPhone-ification of ML, and I have some older apps). Will this be possible? I assume the install disks from my current 24" iMac won't work, but can I download a current version of OS 10.6.8?

If this won't work with the new iMacs, do you know if the refurb 2011 iMacs ship with Snow Leopard or Lion pre-installed?
douglas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:25 PM   #2
desantim
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Will not work. No mac that didn't have it originally installed will be able to install the os. You have lion and mountain Lion ahead of it. Why would you want 10.6.x???
desantim is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Siderz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by desantim View Post
Will not work. No mac that didn't have it originally installed will be able to install the os. You have lion and mountain Lion ahead of it. Why would you want 10.6.x???
He said he didn't like the iOS stuff integrated into it.

Which is a completely valid point.
__________________
focus
Siderz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:04 PM   #4
eagandale4114
macrumors 65816
 
eagandale4114's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
I'm looking at buying a new 27" iMac after they are released. However I would like to install Snow Leopard as the OS (don't like the bloat and iPhone-ification of ML, and I have some older apps). Will this be possible? I assume the install disks from my current 24" iMac won't work, but can I download a current version of OS 10.6.8?

If this won't work with the new iMacs, do you know if the refurb 2011 iMacs ship with Snow Leopard or Lion pre-installed?
Not possible. The drivers will only be available for ML.
__________________
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 17" with antiglare & iPhone 5s 32GB
PS3 & PS Vita
eagandale4114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Pie Chips Salad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
I'm looking at buying a new 27" iMac after they are released. However I would like to install Snow Leopard as the OS (don't like the bloat and iPhone-ification of ML, and I have some older apps). Will this be possible? I assume the install disks from my current 24" iMac won't work, but can I download a current version of OS 10.6.8?

If this won't work with the new iMacs, do you know if the refurb 2011 iMacs ship with Snow Leopard or Lion pre-installed?
Don't do it. I spoke to an apple engineer yesterday and he said SL uses apple old power mac architecture and uses roseta which is like an emulator to make software work with the Intel chips. Where as L and ML use purely intel arcitech. In the future you will have major problems. I think if you buy a new mac you will have to reinstall programs individually like me coming from SL. Because otherwise some may have corruptions and such. This was all explained to me by an apple phone support tech. If you don't like the bloated op system I would consider moving away even to PC or Linux because it's only going further down the iphoneification route if you ask me.
Pie Chips Salad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Siderz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Chips Salad View Post
If you don't like the bloated op system I would consider moving away even to PC or Linux because it's only going further down the iphoneification route if you ask me.
Funny thing is, Windows 8 has moved more to a mobile OS than OSX has.

And the iOS features in ML are so easily avoidable...
__________________
focus
Siderz is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Pie Chips Salad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderz View Post
Funny thing is, Windows 8 has moved more to a mobile OS than OSX has.

And the iOS features in ML are so easily avoidable...
Yeh your prob right there.

Plus the drivers won't be correct and won't work with the new hardware. I don't even think it will work! Just avoid the iOS features as Siderz says
Pie Chips Salad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:15 PM   #8
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Bloat?

I wouldn't personally try to install an OS two revisions back on current hardware. You're asking for an unsupported configuration.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:00 PM   #9
douglas
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Thanks for your replies. Guess it's time to update some software and leave the old faithful SL behind. It's clear where Apples profit comes from these days, so better get used to iOS.

Last edited by douglas; Nov 22, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
douglas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Chips Salad View Post
roseta which is like an emulator to make software work with the Intel chips. Where as L and ML use purely intel arcitech.
I guess you didn't understand what he was telling you.

Rosetta allows PowerPC code to run on an Intel architecture. There are folks out there that still need that functionality. Like ones using a lot of older high end Photoshop filters that were never ported to Intel.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:51 AM   #11
blanka
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by desantim View Post
Will not work. No mac that didn't have it originally installed will be able to install the os. You have lion and mountain Lion ahead of it. Why would you want 10.6.x???
2011 Mini's do run Snow, even though they shipped with Lion. But Ivy bridge will be a hurdle too far for Snow. If you come from an iMac 24 inch, consider the 2011 Mini. It is a very capable Snow Leopard machine, at least twice as fast as your iMac.
blanka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:14 AM   #12
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
I run SL on my Mac Pro for work because ML was just not smooth. There were all kinds of beach-balling and all out weirdness going on until I stepped back to Snow Leopard. Conversely, Mt. Lion runs well on my 2012 MBP and 2009 MBP -- go figure.

You can buy Snow Leopard at Apple.com. The iMac listings at the refurb store imply that Lion is preinstalled... "Eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program"
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:36 AM   #13
douglas
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
I run SL on my Mac Pro for work because ML was just not smooth. There were all kinds of beach-balling and all out weirdness going on until I stepped back to Snow Leopard. Conversely, Mt. Lion runs well on my 2012 MBP and 2009 MBP -- go figure.

You can buy Snow Leopard at Apple.com. The iMac listings at the refurb store imply that Lion is preinstalled... "Eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program"
That's good to know. I'll be running ArchiCad, hence need discreet graphics (don't think a Mini will fly). Looks like a new 27" iMac for me along with some updated software. $$
douglas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Pie Chips Salad
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
I guess you didn't understand what he was telling you.

Rosetta allows PowerPC code to run on an Intel architecture. There are folks out there that still need that functionality. Like ones using a lot of older high end Photoshop filters that were never ported to Intel.
Thats exactly what I just said. Rosetta acts like an emulator. One or two programs may not have been ported. But as time goes by you would be left in the dark if you stayed with SL. That's just a fact
Pie Chips Salad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Chips Salad View Post
Thats exactly what I just said. Rosetta acts like an emulator. One or two programs may not have been ported. But as time goes by you would be left in the dark if you stayed with SL. That's just a fact
As time goes by, yes, but the fact is that there are a huge # of legacy apps in the enterprise that need that support.

Frankly, I think SL will be Apples Windows XP and will be around for quite a long time.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:18 PM   #16
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post

You can buy Snow Leopard at Apple.com.
Seems there is still a high demand for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, even if only to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, to let Apple put it back into the store, as it was not available for six months or so and one had to use other channels to acquire Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:22 PM   #17
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Xanadu
That reminds me. I've been meaning to install Windows 98se on my brand new AlienWare gaming rig.
__________________
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
SpyderBite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:17 AM   #18
ptesone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I have a early 2011 iMac that came with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 / iLife DVD's (which now has Mountain Lion on it)

I also have a mid 2011 MackBook Pro that came with Lion 10.7.x

I had purchased a Snow Leopard from Apple a year before that, (it was the 10.6.3 DVD), and I wanted to put that on my MBP, but like everyone else I got the 3 beeps indicating no hardware support.

SO, I got a BlacX USB docking station for SATA HDD (2.5" / 3.5") and simply took the drive out of the MBP, attached it to the iMac via USB and restored it from my iMac using it's DVD of SL 10.6.6 and all is now good

there's also a $40 SATA cable you can get from Best Buy that will do the trick- if you have another computer to restore from.
ptesone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:24 AM   #19
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptesone View Post
I have a early 2011 iMac that came with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 / iLife DVD's (which now has Mountain Lion on it)

I also have a mid 2011 MackBook Pro that came with Lion 10.7.x

I had purchased a Snow Leopard from Apple a year before that, (it was the 10.6.3 DVD), and I wanted to put that on my MBP, but like everyone else I got the 3 beeps indicating no hardware support.

SO, I got a BlacX USB docking station for SATA HDD (2.5" / 3.5") and simply took the drive out of the MBP, attached it to the iMac via USB and restored it from my iMac using it's DVD of SL 10.6.6 and all is now good

there's also a $40 SATA cable you can get from Best Buy that will do the trick- if you have another computer to restore from.
While it is somewhat commendable you looking for all the threads about installing Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on newer Macs, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard cannot run on 2012 Macs, including the 2012 iMac, due to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard not having the drivers for 2012 Mac hardware, thus even your posted method will not work. There are no Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard drivers for Ivy Bridge CPUs, chipsets and the GPUs used in 2012 Macs.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:48 AM   #20
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604
 
MacsRgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Netherlands
I understand that people wanted Snow Leopard over Lion, but with Mountain Lion and certainly Mavericks, Snow Leopard really belongs to the past.

The 2012 iMac running Mountain Lion us a super config. "iOS-ification" of OS X is a logical and natural thing if Apple wants to move forward. It's best that both OSes share features and that both integrate as well as possible with your online "life".
__________________
Steve Jobs. 1955 - 2011. My Hero.
MacsRgr8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:45 AM   #21
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Rosetta allows PowerPC code to run on an Intel architecture. There are folks out there that still need that functionality. Like ones using a lot of older high end Photoshop filters that were never ported to Intel.
If PowerPC app functionality is your reason for avoiding ML, install Snow Leopard Server into Parallels to restore Rosetta functionality in ML:

More information here

[click on image to enlarge]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOP SIX.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	866.2 KB
ID:	433829  
MichaelLAX is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used iMac (mid 2011) had Mavericks erased and crashes with Snow Leopard install disk Timberwoofy Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Mar 4, 2014 10:02 PM
MacBook pro running 10.5.8 won't install Snow Leopard, reboots 25% through install akmusher907 MacBook Pro 0 Feb 17, 2013 11:41 PM
Late 2012 - 21.5 New Imac - Any way to Downgrade from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard? miniraa iMac 9 Feb 10, 2013 01:47 PM
No disk showing on Snow Leopard install - early-2008 iMac estevito iMac 0 Nov 27, 2012 02:32 PM
Snow Leopard HD install in a 2012 (non-retina) Macbook Pro? knightwrangler OS X 3 Aug 4, 2012 07:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC