Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:28 AM   #26
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Always on silence.

I can hear the phone vibrate (making the ringtone unnecessary) in my house.
When I'm out, I can feel it vibrate. The ringer doesn't really aid that much in a noisy environment.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:41 AM   #27
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Only on silent for the places it shold be (movies, church etc.) also use the new privacy settings at night.

More importently why does the OP think a JB is needed to change the ring / message tones.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:52 AM   #28
eelw
macrumors regular

Yup, always on silent. And like that the iPhone 5 vibration is stronger than the iPhone 4. Occasionally missed calls when I didn't feel the vibration in my pocket.
eelw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:58 AM   #29
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

On silent 24/7. Vibration is good enough as I keep it in my pocket. I may miss the vibration occasionally if I'm moving around but it's no big deal and I pay closer attention if it's something important.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:22 PM   #30
Mxbzz
macrumors regular

80% of the time I kept mine on silent.. the only exception would be if I were expecting a call. I have a housemate that's always texting while watching TV. It is so annoying hearing the clicking and the standard SMS sound every 30 seconds.
Mxbzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:58 PM   #31
EthanNixon
macrumors 6502a

Silent 24/7, since I find ringtones completely, and utterly annoying. Especially when someone lets their phone ring though the entire duration. I find it so annoying, but there might be something wrong with me.

Personally, if you're in a public place, your phone should be on silent for the sake of the sanity of the people around you.
EthanNixon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:14 PM   #32
jackwills
macrumors regular

All the time...School
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:21 PM   #33
iRetired
macrumors 6502

Never put it on silent - always use the mechanical vibrate switch when I don't want it to ring audibly. If your phone is on silent all the time, what's the purpose of having the phone alert you?
iRetired is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:40 PM   #34
The Game 161
macrumors 68040

Maybe apple is thinking..use the do not disturb instead but when I go to bed I sometimes use the phone to check scores and don't want alerts being loud and waking people up.
The Game 161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:36 PM   #35
Johnnygogo
macrumors member

Always on silent. No other reason than I just got used to it. I don't like my phone ringing and anyone else hearing it
Johnnygogo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:45 PM   #36
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I put mine on silent occasionally. Like when I'm in church, at the movies, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:08 PM   #37
bushido
macrumors 601

mostly on silent because the push sound is driving me up the wall especially when i iMessage from my Mac or iPad and it keeps beeping on my iPhone

and during lectures of course and then i forget to turn it back on most of the time

i wish iOS had the feature where it automatically puts your phone on silent when u enter certain areas
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:53 PM   #38
Bugeyeblue
macrumors 6502

So do you always keep your phones silent or are you all saying you keep them on vibrate?
Bugeyeblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:15 PM   #39
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

Whenever I am at work, otherwise I let it ring away. Speaking of which, I don't know what is it with chinese people in HK/China and their louder-than-concert-hall music ring tones, they just let it blare for a good 5-10 seconds before they answer. Annoying as hell.

And before anybody says anything, yes I am chinese, I have a chinese wife, and her rings are bloody loud as well. I guess that's karma for me being racist against my own kind eh? lol
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:59 PM   #40
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Only on silent for the places it shold be (movies, church etc.) also use the new privacy settings at night.

More importently why does the OP think a JB is needed to change the ring / message tones.
Exactly. Though I have a mild hearing loss, so while I can hear the ringtones, I can't usually hear it vibrate. I'll put it on vibrate if I'm in a quiet area or places where I need to be quiet. Do Not Disturb is great for sleeping, has replaced putting it on vibrate at night.

Also, I, too, would like to know why OP thinks a JB is necessary...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:51 PM   #41
LaynieGorilla
macrumors 6502

I keep it on silent sometimes, like for a few hours out the day but I keep the sound on so if I misplace it in the house or car I can find it easily. The sound is much more convenient to me.
LaynieGorilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:00 PM   #42
TaylorMatsu
macrumors member

I never put my phone on silent, usually vibrate or full blast. 80% of the time its on vibrate because of school or work
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:08 PM   #43
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

I don't usually put my phone on silent except at the movies (or DND mode at night), but I've turned off most notifications like Facebook and other apps that might make noise. Only sounds are VIP emails, texts and calendar/reminder alerts.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:20 PM   #44
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
Exactly. Though I have a mild hearing loss, so while I can hear the ringtones, I can't usually hear it vibrate. I'll put it on vibrate if I'm in a quiet area or places where I need to be quiet. Do Not Disturb is great for sleeping, has replaced putting it on vibrate at night.

Also, I, too, would like to know why OP thinks a JB is necessary...
A JB is necessary for multiple reasons if you're aware of the abundant flaws and shortcomings in the software,

But for sounds it enables you to download an infinite number of third party sounds
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:00 AM   #45
KristinaWilson
macrumors newbie

Does anyone else keep their phone on silent?

Yes, I always keep my phone on silent when I was on work.It's good habit to fully concentrate on your work.Another option is to having a light peep sound so that you couldn't miss the important call.
KristinaWilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:15 AM   #46
JamesWilliams12
macrumors member

Me too, i always keep it on silence.
JamesWilliams12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:36 AM   #47
malias4
macrumors 6502

Yeah my wife has is 24/7 on silent, so if i need anything ever i cant ask any help
malias4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:51 AM   #48
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Does anyone else keep their phone on silent?
No, how would I hear it ring...?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:58 AM   #49
Dagless
macrumors Core

I like to know what messages I'm getting so I keep the volume on during the daytime.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:40 AM   #50
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
A JB is necessary for multiple reasons if you're aware of the abundant flaws and shortcomings in the software,

But for sounds it enables you to download an infinite number of third party sounds
Seriously, man. You do not need to JB to add sounds. You need iTunes.

I use 3 different ringtones for calls, and various sounds for the other notifications. All 3 ringtones I created (adjusting existing audio to what I want) and installed, all before I JBed the phone.

My phone sounds are generally on, except in meetings or other places it must be quiet. In those places, sometimes I use vibrate, but I often don't hear/feel the vibrate, so it isn't very useful to me. I use the phone as my alarm clock, so sounds are on for night, too. And I would want to get any calls in the middle of the night, they would be emergencies, so definitely on.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone