Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I am swapping out my superdrive with a SATA cradle + SSD.

Now, I know that all the SATA ports are 6Gbps so is this configuration permissible?

I am concerned that my 1TB WD Blue WD10TPVT is 12.5mm tall and will not fit the SATA cradle in the optical bay.

Anyhow, thanks!

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
put your SSD into the main bay so you get SATAIII speed.

Is the 1TB HDD 3.5in or 2.5in?
Optibay only supports laptop sized HDD/SSD (2.5in) and not desktop size HDDs(3.5in).

EDIT:

I just googled it and yes, it is a 2.5in so it fits.

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
put your SSD into the main bay so you get SATAIII speed.

Is the 1TB HDD 3.5in or 2.5in?
Optibay only supports laptop sized HDD/SSD (2.5in) and not desktop size HDDs(3.5in).

EDIT:

I just googled it and yes, it is a 2.5in so it fits.
OP is asking about the height of the drive being an obstacle though, which will depend on the thickness of the specific "cradle" used to mount the 12.5 tall WD HDD he mentioned after moving it into the optical bay.

As far as I know the late 2011 MBP get Sata III in the Optical Bay as well though so there doesn't appear to be an obstacle to leaving the WD HDD in place in the HD spot and sticking the SSD in the location of the removed optical drive.

Please correct if wrong.

Nails1

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010
I'm guessing it won't fit since it's 12.5mm. It most likely needs to be 9.5mm to fit in the caddy.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I'm guessing it won't fit since it's 12.5mm. It most likely needs to be 9.5mm to fit in the caddy.

I read online that there are two optical bay caddy sizes.

So anyone tried this setup yet? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.