Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Launches Black Friday Sale in U.S. with Discounts on iPads, MacBook Pros, Airs and More

Following the international launches, Apple has kicked off its Black Friday sale in the U.S. Online Apple Store. The selection of products on discount are the same as the international stores. The discounted products are listed:

- iPad with Retina Display - $41 Off
- iPad 2 - $31 Off
- iPod touch - $ 31 Off
- iPod touch 4th Generation - $21 Off
- iPod nano - $11 Off
- MacBook Pro with Retina - $101 Off
- MacBook Pro - $101 Off
- MacBook Air - $101 Off
- Various Accessories

Both Best Buy and MacMall seem to have deeper discounts on select products in their base configuration. The other thing to consider is that Apple and Best Buy will charge sales tax in most states due to their national retail presence.

Article Link: Apple Launches Black Friday Sale in U.S. with Discounts on iPads, MacBook Pros, Airs and More
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:20 AM   #2
rcandre2
macrumors regular

$61 off a 64gb iPad! Love it!
rcandre2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Hakone
macrumors 6502

Modest sale but should move ret-iPads along.
Hakone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:23 AM   #4
mKTank
macrumors 65816

What a pathetic sale. You'd think they have enough money to afford bigger cuts on prices. I think this iPhone 5 is the last thing I buy from this company to be honest.
mKTank is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:02 AM   #5
EwanMcTeagle
macrumors regular

Yep. The price cuts are astonishing. Now I would like to buy my mother a 13" Macbook Air: here in Poland - it's $1500 instead of $1700. Wow. What a bold discount! Almost got me convinced not to buy a Mac in the US where it's even cheaper. Almost had me there...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:05 AM   #6
lbjsong
macrumors member

still

still better than nothing
lbjsong is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:25 AM   #7
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Premium brands don't do heavy discounts. Marketing 101. First they don't need to, second it devalues the product over the long term. Consumers will just have to get over it.
mw360 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:25 AM   #8
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjsong View Post
still better than nothing
Indeed, most of this stuff is selling as fast as than they can make it and people think Apple are going to give big discounts.
everything-i is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:25 AM   #9
Curren~Sea
macrumors regular

Where's my iMac?
Curren~Sea is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:27 AM   #10
Paulg2uk
macrumors regular

81.00 discount on a 15" MBPR over here in the UK. No further discount with a student discount. I'm not really impressed at all. I mean 81 on a 2600 laptop. If it was 200 then it would be a worthwhile discount. It's not like Apple can't afford to drop their pries that much for one day.
Paulg2uk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:30 AM   #11
jmbill
macrumors member

Unless I'm mistaken, they don't seem to be including any third-party accessories or software this year, which is a shame. There used to be a treasure-trove of goodies with decent discounts applied.

I recall from previous years when there used to be several pages of discounted products - speakers, docks, cables, hard drives, Adobe software, cases, printers, cameras, and loads of other stuff.

Bit disappointing this year...
jmbill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:46 AM   #12
madrag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbill View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, they don't seem to be including any third-party accessories or software this year, which is a shame. There used to be a treasure-trove of goodies with decent discounts applied.

I recall from previous years when there used to be several pages of discounted products - speakers, docks, cables, hard drives, Adobe software, cases, printers, cameras, and loads of other stuff.

Bit disappointing this year...
Some keyboards are discounted, but overall in my opinion this is a low discount.
madrag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:50 AM   #13
Cockney Rebel

51 off a 64gb 4th Gen Retina iPad ... NICE!

Also Smart Case/Cover for 26/24 ... NICE.
Cockney Rebel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:53 AM   #14
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Some good reductions.

Smart cover is currently the price it should be all year!

*If you were wanting BIG discounts and dirt cheap prices, your looking at the wrong company.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:46 AM   #15
ChelseaJK
macrumors newbie

Apple is selling the 64 GB iPod Touch for $358, and I'll definitely be buying one. I was surprised that they discounted it $41, because I was expecting that they would only take off around $15-20. There's no sales tax in Montana so for someone who was planning on buying an iPod this year anyway it's a nice savings.
ChelseaJK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:36 AM   #16
parseckadet
macrumors 6502

What annoys me is that there's not a single iPad mini associated discount. Only the regular sized Smart Cover is on sale for example. It's bad enough that the one for the mini is normally the same price as the regular one. But with this sale it's actually $11 MORE?! WTF Apple?
parseckadet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Keane16
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKTank View Post
What a pathetic sale. You'd think they have enough money to afford bigger cuts on prices. I think this iPhone 5 is the last thing I buy from this company to be honest.
You're going to stop buying from them because they didn't discount steeply enough on Black Friday?

If price is what matters to you above build quality, ease of use, design etc then you started with the wrong company. Apple have never led the way on price (except prehaps the original iPad in the 'modern' tablet sector when it was first released). And they certainly haven't done blowout sales.

The whole 'Apple has enough money' argument is tiresome. People want them to give employees bigger discounts, they want steeper discounts on Black Friday, Apple should've donated more to Sandy relief, they should sell their stuff cheaper as it's overpriced, they should give their shareholders a bigger dividend, so on and so forth.... You can't please everyone.

Personally I can see some nice little discounts, I'll be picking up some Christmas presents early...
Keane16 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:26 AM   #18
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane16 View Post
You're going to stop buying from them because they didn't discount steeply enough on Black Friday?

If price is what matters to you above build quality, ease of use, design etc then you started with the wrong company. Apple have never led the way on price (except prehaps the original iPad in the 'modern' tablet sector when it was first released). And they certainly haven't done blowout sales.

The whole 'Apple has enough money' argument is tiresome. People want them to give employees bigger discounts, they want steeper discounts on Black Friday, Apple should've donated more to Sandy relief, they should sell their stuff cheaper as it's overpriced, they should give their shareholders a bigger dividend, so on and so forth.... You can't please everyone.

Personally I can see some nice little discounts, I'll be picking up some Christmas presents early...
Well that's the thing. Build quality? iPhone 5? Not quite. Not with it being the scratch magnet that it is.

It's easy to use because it's virtually unchanged from 5 years ago. Now I have Windows 8 which boots about twice as fast as OSX on my MacBook and can do basic things like cut and paste (lol) not to mention much better app compatibility. And look at Android...

I just see Apple starting to fall soon. Looks like they already have, with their stocks taking a bigger dip than ever before. No company stays on top forever, and with Apple's real leadership gone, it will start heading downwards. They'll be shooting themselves in the foot once again if iOS 7 is still the same grid with a few new features and minor UI changes, which it'll probably end up being.

All that said, it's simply unwise to invest in Apple for much longer. It's not just because of this pathetic sale.
mKTank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:28 AM   #19
parseckadet
macrumors 6502

Quote:
...and can do basic things like cut and paste (lol)
What are you talking about? Show me a single Apple computer, tablet, or phone that doesn't support cut and paste.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:35 PM   #20
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by parseckadet View Post
What are you talking about? Show me a single Apple computer, tablet, or phone that doesn't support cut and paste.
Can't cut and paste files in OSX.

Edit: Appears you can move files whilst copying by pressing 3 buttons at the same time. Gee, that's convenient.
mKTank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:10 AM   #21
macgames
macrumors member

Almost forgot to mention - if you've just bought a Mac, or already have one, check out the Black Friday deals (last the whole weekend) on MacGames.co.uk Lots of bargains to be had!
macgames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:18 PM   #22
nekonari
macrumors member

They over-did it.

Quote:
Can't cut and paste files in OSX.

Edit: Appears you can move files whilst copying by pressing 3 buttons at the same time. Gee, that's convenient.
Yeah, mind-boggling. I was actually really disturbed that I couldn't see Cut-Paste anywhere on UI. Then found out they hid visual clutter by hiding them in alternate menu items... And I think that's a huge misstep. They originally wanted to create a machine anyone can use with a single button. Now, they created a machine that must use two handed to do something very simple as Cut-Paste.

Magical, Apple. Just magical.
nekonari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:32 PM   #23
BRyken
macrumors 6502

I wonder how well Apple actually did given there were so many other places offering steeper discounts.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 08:42 AM   #24
stract
macrumors member

umm, today, Friday, is the 22nd, not the 23rd (date of article).
stract is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 09:04 AM   #25
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Retina MacBook Pro (16gb, 512gb ssd, dGPU, 15") is at Best Buy for $2300 with a student discount. I'll pass on this one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stract View Post
umm, today, Friday, is the 22nd, not the 23rd (date of article).
This was last year (just noticed).

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion