Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 6, 2008, 05:34 AM   #1
bruk201ib
macrumors member

It's official, iPhone in Italy with TIM and Vodafone

News reported on Macitynet (http://macitynet.it/macity/aA32221/u...italia_c.shtml) shows that TIM and Vodafone will be the official carriers of the iPhone in Italy.

TIM (http://www.telecomitalia.itnull/ep/c...Type=EDITORIAL) and Vodafone (http://www.areaprivati.190.it/190/tr...key=pri_iphone) officially announced today that they will be offering the iPhone in Italy. Vodafone added in their press release that they will be offering the Apple's phone also in Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, Portugal, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey. (http://www.vodafone.com/start/media_...to_offer0.html)

No more details have been released about release date, tariffs or iPhone model; but the fact that Vodafone doesn't have an EDGE network in Italy, is almost certain it will be the 3G version.

Some details can be assumed from Vodafone's press release, where it states that with the purchase of the phone the user will be "linked" to their networks, therefore the iPhone will be locked.

This probably means that the iPhones sold by TIM and Vodafone will be locked to their networks.

According to the rumors over the net, Apple will sell an unlocked version of the phone. The difference between the phones will be in the price, discounted for TIM and Vodafone, full price if purchased from Apple.

The question now is the price for the device. It could be one model for 499 and another for 399, but it could be also anothe model for 599. Would these be the full prices or the operator discounted prices?... we just have to wait and see.
bruk201ib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 07:38 AM   #2
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Both Telecom Italia and Vodafone to Offer iPhone in Italy

Both Telecom Italia and Vodafone independently announced that they have signed agreements with Apple to provide the iPhone in Italy. This, of course, clearly indicates that Apple has abandoned the exclusive single-carrier model that they have established in other markets.

Absent from these announcements are any details, but earlier rumors had indicated that this represents the 3G iPhone and that there will be no permanent exclusive distribution by a single operator. Instead, it was said that Telecom Italia may have the right to sell the iPhone for some months in advance of their competitors.

Apple has been widely rumored to release their 3G capable iPhone in the coming months with many expecting an announcement at Apple's Wordwide Developer Conference in June.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 07:43 AM   #3
paddy
macrumors 6502a

More competition isnt a bad thing!
Old May 6, 2008, 07:49 AM   #4
hashkey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
This, of course, clearly indicates that Apple has abandoned the exclusive single-carrier model that they have established in other markets.
It does indicate that Apple strategy will vary in territories where there is little or no post-pay market to speak of- Italy being one of those territories- but it shouldn't lead anyone to think that they'll necessarily do the same in other markets.
hashkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 07:54 AM   #5
MattJessop
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to MattJessop
Sounds like good news to me. Although there might be different market strategies for different markets as mentioned above, even this alone makes it better for the consumer. Like the iPhone in France was unlocked, but expensive because there was no real competition to here. Now at least there can be competition; which may even bring more users into the Apple brand.
MattJessop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Lito
macrumors newbie

Quo vadis?

So: implicit acceptance that the single carrier exclusivity deals, while useful in launching a new & game- changing product into the real world, are not for long term pursuance.

Actually a bust business wise & a source of customer frustration & impediment.

Will the existing deals be persisted with? Or does Apple have an exit strategy?
Old May 6, 2008, 08:00 AM   #7
MTrebbin
macrumors newbie

crack the monopoly!
MTrebbin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:01 AM   #8
l0ne
macrumors newbie

Important detail

Important detail: Vodafone does not offer an EDGE network in Italy. (Telecom does.)
l0ne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:02 AM   #9
avigalante
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJessop View Post
Sounds like good news to me. Although there might be different market strategies for different markets as mentioned above, even this alone makes it better for the consumer. Like the iPhone in France was unlocked, but expensive because there was no real competition to here. Now at least there can be competition; which may even bring more users into the Apple brand.
I think that's the correct sentiment.

Given the lackluster performance thus far in the EU, it makes sense that Apple may want to reach as many people as possible by launching the iPhone on multiple carriers.

That said, I don't expect this business model to hit the US anytime soon.
Old May 6, 2008, 08:02 AM   #10
IscariotJ
macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping that the exclusive agreement only covered the initial iPhone release. There are enough carriers in the UK to provide some competition....

Being able to buy an unlocked iPhone would be ideal, especially considering some of the recent reports regarding O2/CPW....
Old May 6, 2008, 08:02 AM   #11
hashkey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0ne View Post
Important detail: Vodafone does not offer an EDGE network in Italy. (Telecom does.)
Presumably we're talking about a 3G iPhone. Hopefully we're talking about a 3G iPhone..
hashkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:09 AM   #12
fastbite
macrumors 6502a

I guess they are learning and learning fast. What will happen to other countries like US and UK?
Old May 6, 2008, 08:12 AM   #13
phatspider
macrumors 6502

it'll be 3g - vf wouldnt take it in 10 countries if it wasnt

see : http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...G-iPhone.phtml

specifically :

Sarin stated: "It's clearly a good, software-driven device, but we're concerned about wideband area coverage so that 3G or HSDPA connectivity with the iPhone is something that we look forward to".
phatspider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:13 AM   #14
mmmdreg
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mmmdreg Send a message via MSN to mmmdreg
As long as they're not exclusive to Telstra in Australia then I'm happy!
mmmdreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:20 AM   #15
sananda
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0ne View Post
o2 in the uk didn't either.
sananda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:32 AM   #16
joemama
macrumors 6502

That's great....but....

What does this mean for the US? Will we see multiple carriers?
joemama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:37 AM   #17
phatspider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sananda View Post
o2 in the uk didn't either.
I know for a fact VF will not invest anything in EDGE networks

So either it will be GPRS (v unlikley) or 3G (very likely)

Fingers crossed it will be HSDPA too with speeds of up to 7.2mbps which is starting to become more widely supported on VF networks globally
phatspider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:44 AM   #18
seedster2
macrumors 6502a

Multiple carriers does not necessarily mean unlocked. It could mean that locked phones are going to their respective networks.

I don't think this will have much impact on the US region. After all, there's no need to change the plan here as the phone sold extremely well. The model only failed overseas.

I foresee the sales number dropping or flatenning out domestically with out subsidization. Economy is worrisome and price is has become a consideration and foreigners will have little need to source product stateside.
Old May 6, 2008, 08:50 AM   #19
JoaoPinheiro
macrumors newbie

So I guess it's safe to assume that the new iPhones won't be locked to any particular carriers. Does anyone have any idea if they will be locked to particular countries, however? I live in Portugal and I'm moving over to Finland next year, so it'd be nice to be able to switch carriers in a year without having to unlock the phone.
JoaoPinheiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 08:54 AM   #20
Project
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaoPinheiro View Post
So I guess it's safe to assume that the new iPhones won't be locked to any particular carriers.
I don't think we can make this assumption just yet.
Project is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 09:04 AM   #21
JoaoPinheiro
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project View Post
Wishful thinking never hurt anyone xD Still, it's a lot easier for the Apple Stores to stock unlocked iPhones than to stock iPhones locked to each one of the carriers for each particular country. The carriers probably have a minimum contract length anyway, so the locking issue becomes moot for them.
JoaoPinheiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 09:05 AM   #22
Dimwhit
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedster2 View Post
I don't think this will have much impact on the US region. After all, there's no need to change the plan here as the phone sold extremely well. The model only failed overseas.
Not only that, but didn't Apple and AT&T sign a 5-year exclusivity deal? Maybe it wasn't that long, but I thought it was. If so, there's no changing here anytime soon.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:06 AM   #23
jfanning
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project View Post
Well Vodafone NZ did make a big fuss a few years back that they are no longer locking phones sold on consumer plans
jfanning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 09:14 AM   #24
Willis
macrumors 68020

Possible good news... I'm off to Italy in August. If 02 or another op. provide an iPhone plan as a sim only offer, I would hop on that! Certainly if I can get an iPhone cheaper too.
Willis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 09:19 AM   #25
kornyboy
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Hopefully this sort of thing will carry across many other countries. It will sell more phones since people will not have to switch to a carrier that they don't like.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion