Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Mrfatboy
macrumors regular

Verizon iPhone 4S international unlock question

How can I verify that my verizon iPhone 4S 6.0.1 in correctly unlocked while still in the US?

My aunt and uncle came over for thanksgiving yesterday with their brand new Verizon iphone 4s's. We all we be traveling to Cancun next year and I suggested that they get their phones internationally unlocked (gsm) for the trip.

I did this for my old iPhone 4S last year.

I have an old Sim from Vietnam that I used for my iPhone 4S unlock so I thought we would use it again to for the unlock process for my relatives iPhones.

Anyway after dealing with 2 complete idiots at Verizon that said it is not possible I finally got to a third guy that at least seemed like he knew what he was doing.

He emailed apple and got an immediate response back allowing Verizon to unlock the iPhones. He then asked me to turn off the phone, put in the foreign sim from Vietnam(any foreign sim will do from what I'm told) and powered the phone back on. All of this was done while connected to iTunes and wifi while connected to the Internet.

The iphone powered on and got 'no service' which is expected because of the foreign sim. He said the process is now complete and the phone is unlocked for foreign gsm use.

Now, when I did this process last year with my iPhone 4S I got a message in iTunes that said 'congratulations! Your iphone is now unlocked. '

I did not get this message on either of my relatives iPhones when we went thru the unlocking process with Verizon. However, the Verizon rep swears they are unlocked.

How can I verify that these iPhones are unlocked while still in the US? I don't want to get to Mexico (or any international destination) and I find out that Verizon didn't do their job correctly.

Thanks
Mrfatboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Moe2005
macrumors newbie

Verizon 4S's don't display the unlocked message on iTunes.
Moe2005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
vbtwo31984
macrumors regular

Get a prepaid T-Mobile or AT&T sim and see if it works.
vbtwo31984 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Mrfatboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe2005 View Post
Verizon 4S's don't display the unlocked message on iTunes.
Mine for sure did when I did it last year. I unlocked it a couple of days after launch day. However, I have read that the message does not appear any more most if not all people nowadays. Maybe apple changed in iTunes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbtwo31984 View Post
Verizon will only unlock the 4s for international gsm use. Otherwise it is locked to Verizon in the US. Those sims will not work.
Mrfatboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Moe2005
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfatboy View Post
Mine for sure did when I did it last year. I unlocked it a couple of days after launch day. However, I have read that the message does not appear any more most if not all people nowadays. Maybe apple changed in iTunes?
It didn't for me when I unlocked my Verizon 4S about 2 months ago.
Moe2005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbtwo31984 View Post
Negative. That won't work. Verizon only unlocks the phone for international use
Jtludwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Leeduc
macrumors newbie

Hey guy!
I Come from vietnam
And now i'm using an iphone 4s lock verizon
And i can't unlock its. I must using heicard sim to active gsm.
Sorry because my bad english
Leeduc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:27 PM   #8
RIMiPod
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtludwig View Post
Negative. That won't work. Verizon only unlocks the phone for international use
Not entirely true. There are two files that you back up and then delete. This process disables the CDMA transceiver and defaults the phone to GSM--thus, any Verizon or Sprint iPhone4S will work on AT&T and T-mobile.

Even though the phone is made for Verizon, the phone will still have the plist for Sprint as well. I had relocated both files on my phone and now I'm on T-Mobile

*EDIT: I also forgot to mention that in order to access the phone's file system, a jailbreak is needed. That's the only catch besides having your carrier unlock the phone from their end.
RIMiPod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #9
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIMiPod View Post
Not entirely true. There are two files that you back up and then delete. This process disables the CDMA transceiver and defaults the phone to GSM--thus, any Verizon or Sprint iPhone4S will work on AT&T and T-mobile.

Even though the phone is made for Verizon, the phone will still have the plist for Sprint as well. I had relocated both files on my phone and now I'm on T-Mobile

*EDIT: I also forgot to mention that in order to access the phone's file system, a jailbreak is needed. That's the only catch besides having your carrier unlock the phone from their end.
Do you have directions for this?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:04 PM   #10
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

I had Verizon unlock my 4S for international use. There was no indication on my end this was completed other than the confirmation of the customer service guy on the phone.

I was, however, able to pop in a Virgin Mobile UK SIM and it indeed recognized the SIM as valid.

Be aware to validate the SIM (either domestically or overseas), you'll need access to wifi for the phone to connect to Apple's servers (or via your Mac plus iTunes if you have it with you).
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:10 AM   #11
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoastman View Post
Keep in mind a jailbreak prevents you from updating the phone software. But, this is a cool trick!
Which would suck because I don't JB or need and tweaks. But the speed increase from CDMA 3G to HPSA+ is worth a JB IMO.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone