Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:46 AM   #1
minttone
macrumors newbie

Choice of iPad for mum

Hi guys,
newbie here. macrumors seems to be a very nice community so i'll be grateful if you guys can offer me some advice.

I'm buying a iPad for my mum and these are what she would like to do with it:

1. E-Mails.
2. E-Books

and that's about it. She does not need to play games nor watch/stream videos. I've been looking at the refurbished iPad 3, and it seems to be a steal at $379. However, the mini seems to be a much more portable device and easier to hold. That being said, I doubt she would use her iPad much beyond the house.

Oh and she has trouble reading so maybe a bigger screen would allow her to view larger text and in an economical way?

looking forward to your inputs

EDIT: I've decided to go with the iPad, appreciate your inputs!

Last edited by minttone; Nov 24, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
minttone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:48 PM   #2
holycowe
macrumors member

Don't get the mini if she has trouble reading small text. Get the iPad 2 or 3 is just perfect.
But just a reminder, never go cheap on mom
holycowe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Night Spring
macrumors G3

If you can take your mom to an Apple store and have her handle both devices, that would be best. It's a very personal thing, how somebody reacts to the weight and screen size. For some, the mini screen would feel too small, and they'd think the additional weight of the full size iPad is a good trade-off for the extra screen space. Other people would feel that the regular iPad is too heavy and prefer the lighter mini, even if they get less screen space. Only your mom can tell what is right for her.

If you can't take your mom to Apple, perhaps you could buy both from a place with a good return policy, have her try both, and return the one she decides not to keep.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:05 PM   #4
minttone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycowe View Post
Don't get the mini if she has trouble reading small text. Get the iPad 2 or 3 is just perfect.
But just a reminder, never go cheap on mom
hmm so you wouldn't recommend me to buy the refurbished one? I'm planning to get Applecare though

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
If you can take your mom to an Apple store and have her handle both devices, that would be best. It's a very personal thing, how somebody reacts to the weight and screen size. For some, the mini screen would feel too small, and they'd think the additional weight of the full size iPad is a good trade-off for the extra screen space. Other people would feel that the regular iPad is too heavy and prefer the lighter mini, even if they get less screen space. Only your mom can tell what is right for her.

If you can't take your mom to Apple, perhaps you could buy both from a place with a good return policy, have her try both, and return the one she decides not to keep.
oh i forgotten that she had tried the full sized iPad before and she loved it! thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
BlazednSleepy
macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad mini will be perfect for her. It's portable, extremely light and the screen is perfectly fine for everything she needs to do. My dad mentioned to me how surprised he was at the mini's screen quality. He thought it looked great. I'm getting my dad a mini for christmas with apple care.
BlazednSleepy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

I just bought an iPad 2 in a black Friday sale for my mother-in-law - she looked at the iPad mini (for one of her granddaughters) and decided it was too small to be able to read as she has glaucoma. Can't argue with that. She has no issue with the weight.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:56 AM   #7
minttone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
I just bought an iPad 2 in a black Friday sale for my mother-in-law - she looked at the iPad mini (for one of her granddaughters) and decided it was too small to be able to read as she has glaucoma. Can't argue with that. She has no issue with the weight.
alright thanks!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad