Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi all, hope you had a good Thanksgiving (or just a good Thursday if you're outside the US)!

To the point: I've had an iPhone 5 since the week after launch. I ordered an Otterbox Commuter case for it that I receieved 2 days after getting the phone.

About 3 weeks in, my home button started to feel loose, making clicky sounds when touched lightly (without being fully pushed in for the real click), and it became wobbly. I took it to the Apple Store, and they replaced it no questions asked.

So about 2-3 weeks go by, and my home button starts having the same issue. I take it to the Apple Store, and ask if they could just repair the home button because I don't want to go through the trouble of them swapping it out and me restoring again. But they say they can't fix it atm, so I am given another replacement.

Now, it's a few weeks later again, and again the home button is having the same issue. I am going to take it in next week to see if they can fix/replace it once more.

So, 3 iPhone 5's, all kept in the same Otterbox Commuter case. Does it sound like this is an issue being caused with the case, or have I just had bad luck with my phones? None of them were ever dropped, and had been living in the case almost 24/7 (except when home on the couch/in bed).

Andyyyy

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
considering the commuter does not touch the home button in any way, i would say theres no chance that the case had anything to do with it. :)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
considering the commuter does not touch the home button in any way, i would say theres no chance that the case had anything to do with it. :)

Well yes, but couldn't a case that is slightly off sizing wise or with a bad fit twist or bend the phone, even if ever so slightly causing this problem? The lip of the case comes very very close to the home button and it seems to be pretty tight.

It's driving my crazy, I've never dropped it and I haven't seen anyone else with this issue, but I've had it with three phones in a row

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.