Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:45 AM   #1
kcchaso
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Differences between Unlocked iPhone 5's?

Whats the difference between a:
  • Factory unlocked Iphone 5
  • AT&T Unlocked Iphone 5 (Using restoring method)
  • AT&T Unlocked Iphone 5 (Using UnlockFusion)
  • Or a Verizon Iphone 5 that comes unlocked
kcchaso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040
 
PsstGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchaso View Post
Whats the difference between a:
  • Factory unlocked Iphone 5
  • AT&T Unlocked Iphone 5 (Using restoring method)
  • AT&T Unlocked Iphone 5 (Using UnlockFusion)
  • Or a Verizon Iphone 5 that comes unlocked
Nothing.
__________________
iMac + iPhone 6 (4.7) + rMini
PsstGreek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
itjw
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Nothing.
This.

So worry worry WORRY that the "factory unlocked" phone you bought was really a super shady unlock fusion phone that could be remote detonated by AT&T at any time... there's no way to know =P...

Seriously, there have been NO documented cases of there being ANY issues with the new unlocking method. A lot of needless worry and conjecture, and some cases of a software unlocked phone being updated and re-locked, but that's it.

I don't even have a link to share of my favorite unlocker haha....

If anyone can prove that their iP5 has been re-locked after using one of these services, I will buy them a soda.

They won't. Ever. My soda is safe.

itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
There shouldn't be any differences.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Nothing.
This. Some people prefer knowing they're getting bona fide factory-unlocked or at&t authorized-unlocked iPhones to eliminate the possibility of reversing the inside job done by fusion_unlock, gevey IMEI unlocking, etc. as a lot of them have the disclaimer they will re-lock the iPhone IMEI of any returns or illegitimate purchases.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:49 PM   #6
kcchaso
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Thanks for the replys. I'm not really worry about if it is a real apple unlock that doesn't really matter. I just won't if there's like difference in results like no LTE or something like that.
kcchaso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040
 
PsstGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchaso View Post
Thanks for the replys. I'm not really worry about if it is a real apple unlock that doesn't really matter. I just won't if there's like difference in results like no LTE or something like that.
An unlock isn't going to effect the hardware of a phone. LTE service will be there whether the carrier you choose supports it or not.
__________________
iMac + iPhone 6 (4.7) + rMini
PsstGreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:01 PM   #8
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchaso View Post
Thanks for the replys. I'm not really worry about if it is a real apple unlock that doesn't really matter. I just won't if there's like difference in results like no LTE or something like that.
Unless you want a bona fide factory-unlocked or at&t authorized-unlocked iPhone, just get a locked one for significantly cheaper and have fusion_unlock unlock it for a few dollars.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:00 PM   #9
itjw
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
This. Some people prefer knowing they're getting bona fide factory-unlocked or at&t authorized-unlocked iPhones to eliminate the possibility of reversing the inside job done by fusion_unlock, gevey IMEI unlocking, etc. as a lot of them have the disclaimer they will re-lock the iPhone IMEI of any returns or illegitimate purchases.
There has not been one documented case of them (AT&T, VZW, UnlockFusion, etc..) re-locking a phone once it has received the "Your phone has been unlocked" message in iTunes.

There was a claimed case on another forum, but it was later discovered that the phone had been unlocked via Jailbreak, and that the owner had updated (it was a 4S, not a 5 anyway...).

Again, I will offer a soda to anyone who can prove there was ever a case of a re-lock after ANY of the "shady" unlockers unlocked the phone.

There isn't. Just a lot of scare tactics because for whatever reason people want to propogate the myth that a factory unlocked phone is somehow different or better. It's not, and it isn't. They both share the same odds of being locked under normal circumstances: 0.

If it is reported as lost/stolen the IMEI can be blacklisted, but that is COMPLETELY different than re-locking.

After it's unlocked and in Apple's database (i.e. not via jailbreak), it's unlocked, and as of today, will remain that way indefinitely.

They could change that in the future, but it would be a COLLOSAL undertaking to figure out which were which since they both use the exact same means to unlock the phone (legit AT&T and UF).

They also could shut the unlockers out (in the future).

Still wouldn't affect unlocked phones already in the marketplace. AT&T (as an example) would be creating a nightmare for itself if it started relocking the presumably thousands of phones that have been bought, sold, and probably re-sold again (as unlocked), just because (even if they could).
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchaso View Post
Whats the difference between a:
  • Factory unlocked Iphone 5
  • AT&T Unlocked Iphone 5 (Using restoring method)
  • AT&T Unlocked Iphone 5 (Using UnlockFusion)
  • Or a Verizon Iphone 5 that comes unlocked
There is no unlocked AT&T iphone by using restoring method.
There's not even a factory unlocked iphone 5 sold in the US yet.
There's the locked AT&T iphone 5 that can be unlocked with an IMEI unlock from ebay. The unlocked AT&T iphone 5 bought full price.
The GSM unlocked iphone 5 from verizon.
And the Sprint iphone 5 that can be unlocked for international GSM use by Sprint but will not work with any other carrier in the US.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:21 PM   #11
dave006
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchaso View Post
Thanks for the replys. I'm not really worry about if it is a real apple unlock that doesn't really matter. I just won't if there's like difference in results like no LTE or something like that.
One update, there will be no AT&T LTE support on the Verizon iPhone 5.

It will work fine on AT&T's network just not on LTE. The Verizon iPhone 5 is only unlocked for GSM usage so you can use any GSM provider in the US in addition to Verizon's service.

Dave
dave006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:12 PM   #12
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
Again, I will offer a soda to anyone who can prove there was ever a case of a re-lock after ANY of the "shady" unlockers unlocked the phone.

There isn't. Just a lot of scare tactics because for whatever reason people want to propogate the myth that a factory unlocked phone is somehow different or better. It's not, and it isn't. They both share the same odds of being locked under normal circumstances: 0.
Blame that on the third party unlockers' "disclaimer." It's what caused several members to start threads expressing their concern.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:34 PM   #13
aznguyen316
macrumors 68010
 
aznguyen316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Nothing.
Is there a difference in terms of what LTE bands each phone uses? Such as I know the Verizon one can be used on most world LTE bands? How about AT&T?
__________________
iPhone 6, 64GB | iPad rMini 16GB
My Channel for MBP videos
aznguyen316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:37 PM   #14
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
AT&T will be more limited to a handful of countries. For once, the Verizon iPhone 5 is the real international version.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:17 AM   #15
VinegarTasters
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
There is no unlocked AT&T iphone by using restoring method.
There's not even a factory unlocked iphone 5 sold in the US yet.
There's the locked AT&T iphone 5 that can be unlocked with an IMEI unlock from ebay. The unlocked AT&T iphone 5 bought full price.
The GSM unlocked iphone 5 from verizon.
And the Sprint iphone 5 that can be unlocked for international GSM use by Sprint but will not work with any other carrier in the US.
Doesn't Apple sell a factory unlocked iPhone 5 on its website? Isn't that factory unlocked? How hard is it to flash the Sprint to turn it into a Verizon?
__________________
iPhone Secrets:
http://www.edepot.com/iphone.html
VinegarTasters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:54 AM   #16
dave006
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
Doesn't Apple sell a factory unlocked iPhone 5 on its website? Isn't that factory unlocked? How hard is it to flash the Sprint to turn it into a Verizon?
No, not in the USA currently via the Apple.com web site!

At some point they will offer web purchases like last year for the iPhone 5. It is not a issue with "flashing" the CDMA model. Sprint and Verizon will not allow you to use an iPhone that was not purchased / activated for use directly on their network. No real technical reason as the iPhone 5 hardware is exactly the same on the iPhone 5. Just a simple business decision!

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differences between iPhone 4 and 5s? heycal iPhone 104 May 16, 2014 05:12 PM
iPhone: How to backup and restore jailbreak unlocked (not factory unlocked) iphone 3Gs nEO5592 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 5 Apr 19, 2014 04:53 AM
iPhone: Apple-unlocked GSM iPhone 5 vs. 3rd-party-unlocked iPhone 5 profinite Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 12 Dec 9, 2012 01:19 PM
iPhone 4S: factory unlocked vs. AT&T unlocked vs. Verizon unlocked 13ms13 iPhone 3 Oct 3, 2012 01:30 PM
iPhone 5 differences? honeygirl iPhone 21 Oct 1, 2012 06:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC