Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:45 AM   #1
bpopilek
macrumors newbie

Question Early 2009 iMac Display Question

Hello, I am the new owner of a used early 2009 iMac 20" computer. I picked it up for a song because the LCD was cracked. The computer boots up, and I can see about 25% of the bottom of the screen, so I know the rest of the PC is OK.

So my questions are:
1. How can I determine a compatible display for this so I can order one?
2. Is it possible to leave the LCD out and just connect a external LCD monitor up to the display port?

My current LCD is a model LM201WE3, however I have seen references for models of M201EW02 VF & M302EW02. Will either of these work, or do I need to stick with the exact same model that came in mine? Also, when I have looked on sites like eBay, I have found that the Dell XPS One uses a M201EW02 V.8 LCD. Would this be compatible? I only ask because price wise, it is considerably cheaper.

Now, if it is possible just to use a secondary screen instead, how do I enable it without being able to see the settings from within the MacOS? I have the displayport to DVI adapter, but my second monitor never shows anything and stays in sleep mode.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions and for reading this!
bpopilek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:44 PM   #2
bpopilek
macrumors newbie

I hate to bump this, but I need to get this iMac running soon so I can do some video editing for family Christmas gifts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
bpopilek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:24 AM   #3
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Find someone that has another mac and you can then try to remote/screenshare to your broken iMac while the second monitor is attached. Then open the display prefs and see if you can wake it up and make it the primary.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
purfledspruce
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpopilek View Post

Now, if it is possible just to use a secondary screen instead, how do I enable it without being able to see the settings from within the MacOS? I have the displayport to DVI adapter, but my second monitor never shows anything and stays in sleep mode.

Try http://guides.macrumors.com/Keyboard_shortcuts

Only thing I can find though is "option-brightness" which will open the screen prefs. If you can see part of that window you might be able to grab it and enable second monitor...good luck!
purfledspruce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:53 PM   #5
lenfords
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpopilek View Post
Hello, I am the new owner of a used early 2009 iMac 20" computer. I picked it up for a song because the LCD was cracked. The computer boots up, and I can see about 25% of the bottom of the screen, so I know the rest of the PC is OK.

So my questions are:
1. How can I determine a compatible display for this so I can order one?
2. Is it possible to leave the LCD out and just connect a external LCD monitor up to the display port?

My current LCD is a model LM201WE3, however I have seen references for models of M201EW02 VF & M302EW02. Will either of these work, or do I need to stick with the exact same model that came in mine? Also, when I have looked on sites like eBay, I have found that the Dell XPS One uses a M201EW02 V.8 LCD. Would this be compatible? I only ask because price wise, it is considerably cheaper.

What did you end up doing. Did you use one of the Dell screens?
lenfords is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac