Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:50 PM   #51
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

It's interesting to look at the picture and then look at the computer your viewing it on. Amazing how much things have changed.
TheRainKing is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:55 PM   #52
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Wait, so Apple actually made wooden cases for the Apple I? I know people widely assume they did because the Wikipedia article has a presumably home-made wooden case for one as a prominently featured picture in the Apple I article, but I am under the impression that that case was just something someone made for the board.

Does anyone have pictures of an Apple-made cased Apple I? (Or is that famous picture it?)
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:55 PM   #53
MMOTotal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Slow news day today Arn?
What would you rather have ?

1. Interesting piece of news/story

2. lawsuit, Apple TV, retina iPad Mini story
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:01 PM   #54
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
I find it sad that people find this kind of news boring. It's the beginning, the roots of Apple. Without that beginning, there probably would not be Macs, iPhones or iPads today. Then again, without Apple, perhaps Commodore would not have stood on their ass and we'd all be using Amiga computers today.

People today only want a new iPhone with a new shape or a bigger screen and they don't even seem to care when it looks exactly the same but everything inside has been upgraded.

But to us nerds, which is the kind of people it takes to build such devices by the way, this kind of news is 1000 times more interesting than hearing about lawsuits or contract deals with heartless media mega-corporations.

If you don't like a story, just don't comment on it or start your own website where you can approve the stories yourself. Anything else is just noise that doesn't add anything to the discussion of the topic.
Excellent post.
AppleScruff1 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #55
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
I find it sad that people find this kind of news boring. It's the beginning, the roots of Apple. Without that beginning, there probably would not be Macs, iPhones or iPads today. Then again, without Apple, perhaps Commodore would not have stood on their ass and we'd all be using Amiga computers today.

People today only want a new iPhone with a new shape or a bigger screen and they don't even seem to care when it looks exactly the same but everything inside has been upgraded.

But to us nerds, which is the kind of people it takes to build such devices by the way, this kind of news is 1000 times more interesting than hearing about lawsuits or contract deals with heartless media mega-corporations.

If you don't like a story, just don't comment on it or start your own website where you can approve the stories yourself. Anything else is just noise that doesn't add anything to the discussion of the topic.
Whilst I do agree, theres nothing you can do about it. The cult is technically dead. Apple has been (and forgive me for using this pathetically childish term) for 'Hipsters' for a while now, and only really caters to the fake nerd that sits in a Coffee shop on his mac, pretending to be working.

Real nerds sit in a room full of computer history
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:06 PM   #56
n8mac
macrumors 6502

I'd much rather view this article than another iPhone dock connector article or lawsuit article any day.
n8mac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:30 PM   #57
bushido
macrumors 603

eeeh who could possibly need 1 mb of ram right?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:59 PM   #58
Rocketman
macrumors 603

100 print "throatdia.bas Enter area get diameter: checked"
200 INPUT "Throat area Inches = ",AT
210 DT=((AT/3.1415)^.5)*2
300 print "Throat dia Inches = ",DT
301 goto 100
302 end
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:10 PM   #59
spacedesign911
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
100 print "throatdia.bas Enter area get diameter: checked"
200 INPUT "Throat area Inches = ",AT
210 DT=((AT/3.1415)^.5)*2
300 print "Throat dia Inches = ",DT
301 goto 100
302 end
Wow, I was there! I did that in school.

Easy to underestimate this article, but on the other hand we are witnesses to something really massive in the evolution of mankind.

Whilst Gene Rodenberry dreamed it, here is another man making it.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:13 PM   #60
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I love seeing historical relics like these, it makes me appreciate what we have today even more.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:16 PM   #61
tokenuser
macrumors newbie

tl;dr

I just think it is cool that someone kept the instagram photo.

What someone else pointed this out before me?? Did they have a time machine like the guy who took the photo?? Its a little sad that instagram does to digital photographs, what Polaroid did to 35mm ... completely destroy any photographic quality to the image.
tokenuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:38 PM   #62
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Polaroids were instant gratification photos with some resolution penalty. The iPhone cameras serve the same general purpose, with 10x the resolution and 200x the convenience. MANY years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmGjB-G6v8

Rocketman!

For people with way too much time on their hands:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/a...-25-lines.aspx

In college I learned PASCAL too, the environment MacOS was written in!

Last edited by Rocketman; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Rocketman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:44 PM   #63
.Joel
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to .Joel
Great article Arn, really enjoyed reading something different on the front page of MacRumors. Would be good to see a "MR History" article once a month on here with some interesting snippets from Apple's past just to diversify a bit of the content.
.Joel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:16 PM   #64
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside guy View Post
Hahaha, good ol' BASIC. At roughly the same time this photo was taken, I was learning to write BASIC on a DEC PDP 11/40 - this makes me feel old!
I was learning Fortran on god-know-what. It was behind a big glass window and tended by guys in white lab coats. No monitors - just a teletype.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:18 PM   #65
marmotmammal
macrumors member

I really enjoy reading and seeing tidbits of Apple history. I just finished reading muckraker Lashinsky's Inside Apple book (already 10 months old), but the author's Apple insight is fantastic. "A member of the senior management team will depart" written a year ago.

It takes me a long time to read a book, so piecemeal info about Apple's history is interesting. I didn't realize how Jobs/Woz marketed their first computer, so I envision the two walking into the Byte Shop as struggling tech creatives trying to promote their product. Doubtful that digital products are marketed like that anymore. It's all about red tape these days. I wonder what happened to Terrell.

Apple history is more interesting than Microsoft since I live in the area. Innovators don't walk these streets anymore.
marmotmammal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:29 PM   #66
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Slow news day today Arn?
Good for you kid, you got 10 positive votes. Lucky for you negative votes aren't still around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
You think you got back at him with this? Funny ..., but what do i know ... ads are showin', clicks are countin' - all is well in the land of professional journalism.
What's funny is that you guys seem to miss the obvious—that many MR readers actually have an interest in computer history. The finding of some historically significant pics constitutes news that we care about (to quote MR's own tagline).

I'd suggest you had a more legitimate chance to question the journalistic merit of THIS POST recently. Too bad you missed it!
kalsta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:18 PM   #67
MacDav
Banned

"Memory Lane" is better than "Black Friday".
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:35 PM   #68
senseless
macrumors 65816

Back then, the debate was over what text was clearer: Green or Amber.
senseless is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:18 PM   #69
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinos View Post
This is the kind of thing that doesn't exist any more in today's world.

These days, you'd have all sorts of regulatory and legal hurdles: you'd need certification for wireless parts, you'd need to invest a significant amount of time in protecting your IP (trademarks), and you'd probably get a fair number of aggressive patent challenges.

You can't just make something and take it to a shop and get it sold to people any more.
Except in China.
Santabean2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:12 AM   #70
laurim
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
I was learning Fortran on god-know-what. It was behind a big glass window and tended by guys in white lab coats. No monitors - just a teletype.
Ha! That's the way I learned Fortran, too. Killed a few trees trying to debug the programs I had to make for class. My senior year, ~1985, our study room got two of the original macs in a room full of pre-Windows pcs. They had to make a sign-up sheet for the macs to limit everyone to an hour at a time. Love at first sight!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:30 AM   #71
mtbdudex
macrumors 65816

Great article!

mtbdudex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:48 AM   #72
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Slow news day today Arn?
It's Apple nostalgia. It's perfectly at home at MR.
Solomani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:39 AM   #73
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Great article!

Nice lighted keyboard! Nice textbooks "on" Mac.

When my Mac II LC was near death, it was getting glitchy, and occasionally the Apple II BIOS would rear its head and show as a green screen on the otherwise color monitor. That was with MacOS 4.2. Perfect anecdote for a nostalgia thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article quote
the Byte Shop became the first Apple dealer (it eventually offered the Apple-1 in a wooden case with keyboard and power supply)
The dealer made the cases and provided keyboards and displays.

Rocketman

Last edited by Rocketman; Nov 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:55 AM   #74
Big Dave
macrumors 6502

I'm a novice, but I tried to recreate the BASIC code in from the first picture in Bash and I can't get it to behave correctly. Any ideas?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for ((i=1; i<=20; i++))
  do
   for ((j=1; j<=$i; j++))
     do
      echo $j$i
     done
  done
Big Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:29 PM   #75
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
I was surprised this news never made it to MacRumors. Seems right up Arn's alley.
This is exactly true. MacRumors is not about 100% quality. It's about getting 100% of the rumours. Take the good and the bad articles as they are.
And that article will come in time.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion