Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:27 PM   #51
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God
 
Serelus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vm9pZA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMuntean View Post
Sorry, but apparently you don't understand english very well. I'll allow you to reread my post a few times and edit your reply when you understand it.



I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Bro, older and slower and worst cpu's run itunes fine in other operating systems.
Its not the CPU that cannot handle the itunes program.
Its just Apple that wont release an itunes version for those older mac computers. A 6 year old mac cannot run itunes and a 12 year old crappy PC with an older processor can.
Anyway, believe what you want but hope you dont really buy into it that its not possible to have itunes run on older G5 imacs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokhan View Post
Why don't you just install parallels then xp on the g5 and sync it that way ? you might even be able to share the iTunes folder across both systems if you relocate it to a shared area OP

Ps it will be slow but should work
You all clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about, I am suprised swerv stuck around to try and explain all this to you guys. It's very simple.

Intel Architecture is needed to use these new devices/software. It's not about money and it's not about getting people to upgrade. You're just holding on to outdated software because you think, all hardware by apple wil be supported indefinitely. I can assure you it's not apple's intention to support windows systems while apple systems fall behind. Your system is just that old, that you can come to no other conclusion to think apple is supporting the competition.
Serelus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:44 PM   #52
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by njean777 View Post
Or you could just bootcamp and have a windows install and never have to deal with this problem...
That is how I see it...
__________________
64g iPhone6+Space Grey; 16g iPhone6 Silver;16g iPhone5s Space Grey;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:48 PM   #53
eyoungren
macrumors 603
 
eyoungren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
That is how I see it...
Please explain how to install bootcamp on a non-Intel PowerPC Mac please. I'm interested…
__________________
Sprint iPhone 5: 64GB Black/Slate iOS 7.1.2: Jailbroken
Sprint iPhone owners, THERE IS NO DOMESTIC UNLOCK!
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:06 PM   #54
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serelus View Post
XP itself isn't even 15 years old. The simple fact is that you need to upgrade. This has nothing to do with apple wanting money. This is OP being a little too precious with his old hardware. It's going to get newer and as stated before, the specs were known. So it's his own fault.
I didn't say the OS is 15 years old.
The computer used is. Big difference.
And I'm not talking out of my rear end, sorry
It's pure greed wether you see it or not.
Stating it before on the specs doesn't change the fact IMO.

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 25, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: cleanup
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:14 PM   #55
Otterblue
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
Unfortunately no way to do this on a G5. Going to have to use a newer Mac or borrow someone's trusty Windows machine. Shame that a 10+ year PC can do this but a 6 year old Mac can't.
A 10+ year PC can run hackintosh. It's not the software, but the hardware.
Otterblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:34 PM   #56
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
The windows pc works and runs fine with half a GB of ram and syncs tons of songs, videos, apps with no probs.
you gotta admit its a business decision and not a hardware issue that cannot support the new iTunes on older macs.
It could be a business decision but then again we could claim that the fact the Apple 1 not running iTunes is a business decision using that logic (Old=Software should always be supported). How old is a computer when it should stop being supported? Where do we draw the line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
That doesn't hold up. How would 40GB iPod owners have coped back in 2003?
I was talking about a PC from 10+ years ago (when there wasn't even iTunes for PC anyway (I was thinking mid 90's).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
10 years ago we were running Windows XP that can utilize almost 4 GB of RAM. No problems running iTunes with large libraries, especally considering it would probably now be running Windows 7 (better).

But with limited functionality.
Most wouldn't of had 4GB of RAM with 64bit OS's we can use 128GB of RAM however I've never seen a 128GB RAM computer aside from the huge servers I dealt with at school last year. Even those I don't think needed 128GB of RAM.

Anyway I wasn't referring to 10 years ago. I assumed 10+ years ago meant 10-15 and therefore before iTunes even existed for PC.
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:25 PM   #57
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serelus View Post
You all clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about, I am suprised swerv stuck around to try and explain all this to you guys. It's very simple.

Intel Architecture is needed to use these new devices/software. It's not about money and it's not about getting people to upgrade. You're just holding on to outdated software because you think, all hardware by apple wil be supported indefinitely. I can assure you it's not apple's intention to support windows systems while apple systems fall behind. Your system is just that old, that you can come to no other conclusion to think apple is supporting the competition.
Thanks but you're wasting you're time and energy already went through this on the draco forum scientific and logical explanations don't exist to them, the processor in the G5 computer has a different architecture, Intel after the pentium three and amd Athlon processors with 2 way data caches haven't changed almost at all making it easy to continue to support them, however as the G5 had a different processor a whole different iTunes with different drivers would have to be coded wich is EXPENSIVE its like dealing with grade school children in here all they do is insult you when they don't have anything else to say kind of pathetic and I'm not going to waste my time anymore
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:37 PM   #58
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
All this talk about Intel macs vs. PowerPC macs is meaningless. Even if you have an Intel mac and it's running Snow Leopard for whatever reason (you want to keep to running PowerPC programs, it's not strong or stable enough for Lion, etc.), you won't be able to sync anyway as iOS 6 requires the latest iTunes.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:34 AM   #59
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Well said.
Its pure Greed.
Not like a G5 cannot run itunes or support syncing an iphone.
It's more that they don't want to code for an operating system that maybe .01% of iOS users still have at home. I suppose they could allow syncing with older versions of iTunes, but that has never been Apple's style. You can go out and buy a cheap used PC for $50, and Apple gains nothing from that, so I don't feel greed is really their goal here.

EDIT: I see that was already discussed. My bad. But I still just see it as Apple not seeing this as a valuable expenditure of their resources. If you want to translate that to "greed", well ok.
__________________
I use iOS and Android daily and, more recently, Windows Phone 8. If what I say upsets you, it's probably because of your brand loyalty.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:14 AM   #60
eyoungren
macrumors 603
 
eyoungren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Question. If coding iTunes for the G5 is a difficult thing because the architecture is different then what has changed between iTunes 10.6.3 and iTunes 10.7?

ITunes 10.6.3 runs perfectly fine on my 9 year old PowerBook G4 and my other 6 year old PowerBook G4. And those aren't G5s.

Apple didn't seem to have a problem coding for my two old G4s until September 12, 2012.
eyoungren is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:17 AM   #61
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Question. If coding iTunes for the G5 is a difficult thing because the architecture is different then what has changed between iTunes 10.6.3 and iTunes 10.7?

ITunes 10.6.3 runs perfectly fine on my 9 year old PowerBook G4 and my other 6 year old PowerBook G4. And those aren't G5s.

Apple didn't seem to have a problem coding for my two old G4s until September 12, 2012.
Lol
Nothing has changed, just Apple fans making excuses that's all.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:37 AM   #62
bad03xtreme
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern, VA
Well I appreciate all of the advice I have received. I was at a concert last night so wasn't able to do much but I did have my iTunes library on an external HD so I hooked that external HD up to the MacBook Pro and transferred all of the files onto the laptop and then imported them into iTunes. Not sure if this is the best way to go about it but it seemed like the easiest and cheapest solution until I can afford a new computer of my own, I am just lucky I had a work laptop or I would have been SOL and not a happy camper.

But thanks again to all of those that offered up advice, but now I assume if I purchase any music through iTunes I should only do it directly from the iPhone until I get a new computer??
__________________
bad03xtreme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:50 AM   #63
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020
 
AppleDApp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03xtreme View Post
But thanks again to all of those that offered up advice, but now I assume if I purchase any music through iTunes I should only do it directly from the iPhone until I get a new computer??
All music you purchase through iTunes is associated to your AppleID as long as you use the same AppleID on both the macbook and your iPhone you can access all the songs that you purchase.

See my previous post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
Log in to the iTunes store on your iPhone, from there you can download the music you purchased from the store.
__________________
If you are a MacRumors newbie, chances are I will disregard your post.
AppleDApp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:57 AM   #64
jaduff46
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Have to say that I agree with SvervInSuburban's comment at 1:45 AM. It is really hard to maintain software across multiple chip architectures unless you're using a higher level language (probably not the case here).

Ultimately it's a business decision on where to invest development $ - new software on current or new hardware/chipset or ensuring that new releases work on much older technology (i.e. PPC). Which choice is going to generate more incremental revenue?

I bought my first Mac Plus in 1985 and it served well for 8 years, including writing C code and my MBA thesis. But ultimately the memory needs outgrew the machine capacity and it was time to upgrade. No regrets and no bitterness towards Apple, just evolution.
jaduff46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:33 AM   #65
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
Oh my bad I didn't realize older BIOS could support newer operating systems I guess that 32 bit system can just run twice to make 64
In my opinion you are wrong.

The OP's iMac WAS 64 bit.

It did not have a BIOS though - no Mac has ever featured a BIOS.

Intel Macs use EFI which features BIOS emulation for legacy Operating Systems.

By all means explain that Apple does not think it's worth working on their older OSes, but don't state things that are just plain wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaduff46 View Post
Have to say that I agree with SvervInSuburban's comment at 1:45 AM. It is really hard to maintain software across multiple chip architectures unless you're using a higher level language (probably not the case here).
That's not how Apple spun things when they switched to Intel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Question. If coding iTunes for the G5 is a difficult thing because the architecture is different then what has changed between iTunes 10.6.3 and iTunes 10.7?

ITunes 10.6.3 runs perfectly fine on my 9 year old PowerBook G4 and my other 6 year old PowerBook G4. And those aren't G5s.

Apple didn't seem to have a problem coding for my two old G4s until September 12, 2012.
Nothing has changed.

Apple just has a policy of not supporting older Mac OS releases for very long (compared to Microsoft's support for Windows).

This means that Apple has to keep supporting Windows XP (and consequently PCs from 10+ years ago), but not Mac OS 10.5 or older (and consequently all PPC Macs).

The current version of iTunes does not work on Intel Macs that run 10.5

The same thing is true of other Apple software.

Xcode usually only works on the latest Mac OS version, and for a short period, the version before that. It's nothing to do with architecture.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 25, 2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: cleanup
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:52 AM   #66
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Exactly.
Its funny how my 15 year old windows XP computer installs the latest itunes and syncs and recognizes the iphone 5 fine but a newer mac doesnt.
That's quite a feat considering windows XP isn't 15 years old.

I get that the OP is annoyed that his 7 year old computer isn't up to the task anymore, but the reality is, that's technology REGARDLESS of the platform. You'll have to upgrade eventually. You always do.

And it's pretty obvious the those jumping into the argument in the OP's favor don't really have "computers from the 90s" syncing with iPhone 5s, because I know people who've actually tried it. It doesn't work. The Windows XP released back in 2001 is a very different animal from the current, service-pack-3 version... Which by the way, Microsoft hasn't supported in mainstream for 3 years now.

When you get down to it, if you want a computer to run the current version of windows XP with all updates and be stable (let alone run iTunes), it'll need to be about 5 years old or newer. Sure, you can still run a non-patched, old version of XP on an OS computer, but I don't even wanna know what malware is likely on that thing.

And let's be realistic, to run CURRENTLY sold and supported versions of Windows, you need to have a 3year old or newer computer. Which is actually worse than what Apple supports with Mountain Lion (I've got a five year old MacBook Pro at work that's running it fine).

Quote:
Maybe in 3-4 years your now new mac wont get any more updates by apple so wont be able to recognize your then new iphone, ipad or ipod, apple tv and so on.
So in order to have the newer gadget and be able to use it you will have to keep buying new Apple computers.
Actually, it won't need to. In fact, it doesn't need to today. A desktop or laptop computer is not required to use an iOS device. Hasn't been required for over a year now. Which makes this whole thread even more meaningless.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 25, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: cleanup
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:59 AM   #67
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
That's quite a feat considering windows XP isn't 15 years old.
Windows XP can easily be installed on a PC that old.

Not everyone gets their OS with their computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
I get that the OP is annoyed that his 7 year old computer isn't up to the task anymore, but the reality is, that's technology REGARDLESS of the platform.
Except when you're using iTunes on Windows, which specifies system requirements that were around in 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
The windows XP released back in 2001 is a very different animal from the current, service-pack-3 version... Which by the way, Microsoft hasn't supported in mainstream for 3 years now.
The requirements for Service Pack 3 are no different to those of the first release of Windows XP and you can upgrade to it for free, so I don't see what your point is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
When you get down to it, if you want a computer to run the current version of windows XP with all updates and be stable (let alone run iTunes), it'll need to be about 5 years old or newer. Sure, you can still run a non-patched, old version of XP on an OS computer, but I don't even wanna know what malware is likely on that thing.
You are just talking nonsense here. An updated version of Windows XP will not be slower. It's likely that a computer with Windows XP pre-installed on it from 2002 would not be particularly fast, but there's a simple solution to that - reformat it.

I'm using Windows 7 with iTunes on computers from 2002 (Pentium 4) and they work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
And let's be realistic, to run CURRENTLY sold and supported versions of Windows, you need to have a 3year old or newer computer. Which is actually worse than what Apple supports with Mountain Lion (I've got a five year old MacBook Pro at work that's running it fine).
I don't know what world you live in, but thousands of companies are using Windows 7 or 8 on computers that are older than 3 years.

Microsoft has actually managed to reduce the requirements of Windows with the last two versions through efficiency improvements.

My 5 year old MacBook can't run Mountain Lion, but it can run Windows 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Actually, it won't need to. In fact, it doesn't need to today. A desktop or laptop computer is not required to use an iOS device. Hasn't been required for over a year now.
It IS required if you want to do a lot of things like syncing your music to the device (which is exactly what the OP is trying to do).
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium

Last edited by Daveoc64; Nov 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Daveoc64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:54 PM   #68
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Here is what it really is.

Apple no longer wants to invest the resources to support the G5.
They could program and support ppc architecture for years to come if they really wanted to. There are no excuse nor is it about bios, processors, etc.

Remember Apple had many versions of OSX that was designed to run on Intel processors for years before they made the switch.

For many, the older macs work great for what people want to do.

I know you could run windows xp through Q emulator on a G5 and that might be the best solution, but I can not guide you through that process.

You also look for an old version of Virtual PC (version 6 or 7 iirc).
Kashsystems is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:51 PM   #69
stridemat
Moderator
 
stridemat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southampton, UK
MOD NOTE

Please keep on topic with less of the arguing and bickering, and following the Rules for Appropriate Debate.
__________________

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 25, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to sync .m4a music files to iPhone 5S. They play in iTunes but won't sync. Maverick1337 iPhone 3 Apr 8, 2014 01:50 AM
Contacts won't sync iMac to iPhone jertronic iOS 6 5 Sep 4, 2013 06:25 AM
iMac <-> iPhone sync (iMessage) MacDouble iMac 3 Jan 11, 2013 11:22 AM
iphone sync using Itunes. Does the backup/sync happens in to local machine ?? raghunk iPhone 0 Dec 5, 2012 04:05 PM
Drowned PC laptop Upgraded to iMac - iPhone Sync problem ozstickman iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Aug 11, 2012 09:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC