Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phatboytim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
I have had an @me.com email address for about 3 years.

In the last week, I have started receiving SPAM in this account.

I have never ever used the account to email anyone, and have never signed up to anything with it. The only emails it has ever received is marketing from Apple, until a week ago.

So it seems that Apple have accidentally (or not?) leaked my email address to Spammers.

Has anyone else noticed any such activity?

Tim

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
What spam are you getting? I ask because I just started getting some too, but I also use it as my main email so I assumed it was just sold to a spammer.

Coasterfanryan

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2010
Pittsburgh Pa
I'm getting spam. I literally use address just to sync Notes between my iDevices and my Mac. Here's a screen shot of the two I received. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353732527.915367.jpg

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Also got those emails. I guess spammers are just spamming every possible email configuration. You figured Apple's servers would be a little smarter than that!

Then again when I mark something as spam, it doesn't send the email to trash immediately, nor does Apple's email system learn anything. Pretty terrible compared to Gmail if you ask me.

phatboytim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Yep thats the 2 exact SPAM messages I got too!

I use the address just on my iPhone, just have it configured for Find My iPhone really.

Poor show by Apple for seemingly letting all their customers get this same SPAM!!!

----------

And no, I don't use the Apple ID for registering any services except Apple ones

IllmasterMath

Cancelled
May 16, 2012
When the first rumors about MobileMe going free started to surface a few years ago, I signed up to ensure I got my firstnamelastname@me.com. I've been extremely careful to keep this address untainted, so I was really disappointed to see those exact two emails. I've been trying to figure out where I slipped up, but I guess I didn't...

This sucks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've gotten a handful of spam over the past month or two. Nothing major however.

For me its been an email stating my youtube video has made the top xxx or someone emailed me about the youtube video.

The problem for them is that I don't have a youtube account and I've never uploaded a youtube video :eek: :p

I just delete those emails

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I've been getting exactly the same junk mail. :mad:

Me too! I thought it was just something that I have signed up to. I only use for MacRumors and actual people I know. I have a throwaway google one for everything else.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
This is quite worrying. I've had all of the emails mentioned in this thread over the past couple of days also.

I'm quite surprised Apple doesn't have a better spam/junk system in iCloud. Unlike the Maps complaints, Mail is something Apple has been doing for a very long time and there is no reason why they shouldn't have one of the best content filtering systems out there.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Same here! They're not tied to an app though as far as I can tell...

My dad has been getting the same spam and he doesn't even know his iCloud login to even share it. My brother, who's only 10 and who is also getting the spam, has probably only used it for textfree, and some other apps, but nothing else.

And the same here on my account, but I do share it around...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've tried that but I'm getting an error message every time I send one "Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed... Reason: Over quota".

They must be inundated with spam reports.

It worked for me yesterday, but I just tried another one and got the same message as you. I think we broke it. :(

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Count me in as we'll. I received them both to my main and alias, so 4 in all.

I hope Apple can fix this somehow!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Add me to the list. I've never used my iCloud email address and have only ever received email from Apple. Recently I keep getting email about "Dr. Oz." It's all very strange.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I have had an @me.com email address for about 3 years.

In the last week, I have started receiving SPAM in this account.

I have never ever used the account to email anyone, and have never signed up to anything with it. The only emails it has ever received is marketing from Apple, until a week ago.

So it seems that Apple have accidentally (or not?) leaked my email address to Spammers.

Has anyone else noticed any such activity?

Tim

With all the crawlers all over the internet, and that fact that it isn't illegal for companies to sell advertising info, and you think Apple was the one that gave out your address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.