Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Mattjeff
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Send a message via AIM to Mattjeff
Mac Mini Flex cable?

I recently ordered the OWC kit to add a second drive to my Mini and it advertises a "mac mini flex cable". It didn't come with the kit I received and so when I got to the install portion I could only replace the stock drive.

Short story... I can't get OWC to reply to my email (maybe from the holidays) and I was wondering if this is the right cable? Mac Mini Flex Cable
If I can't get them to send me one then I will just get this.
__________________
MrJ
Mattjeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Dadioh
macrumors 65816
 
Dadioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjeff View Post
I recently ordered the OWC kit to add a second drive to my Mini and it advertises a "mac mini flex cable". It didn't come with the kit I received and so when I got to the install portion I could only replace the stock drive.

Short story... I can't get OWC to reply to my email (maybe from the holidays) and I was wondering if this is the right cable? Mac Mini Flex Cable
If I can't get them to send me one then I will just get this.
922-9560 is the right part number but OWC should have that in the kit. They must have overlooked it. I just ordered that same OWC kit so I hope they don't forget mine

Not sure why that amazon link says 2010. If you check the ifixit kit it lists 922-9560 and states for 2011 and 2012 models
__________________
Almost an embarrassing amount of Apple Gear
Dadioh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Mattjeff
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Send a message via AIM to Mattjeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadioh View Post
922-9560 is the right part number but OWC should have that in the kit. They must have overlooked it. I just ordered that same OWC kit so I hope they don't forget mine

Not sure why that amazon link says 2010. If you check the ifixit kit it lists 922-9560 and states for 2011 and 2012 models
Thanks, turns out my wife misplaced it so no fault of OWC. Good luck with the upgrade
__________________
MrJ
Mattjeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Dadioh
macrumors 65816
 
Dadioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjeff View Post
Thanks, turns out my wife misplaced it so no fault of OWC. Good luck with the upgrade
Phew! I hate it when that happens
__________________
Almost an embarrassing amount of Apple Gear
Dadioh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:55 PM   #5
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020
 
aziatiklover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Is there a place that sell the cable only without the kit? $80 is way too much i got no use for the tools all i need is the cable.
__________________
ppleholic
aziatiklover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Dadioh
macrumors 65816
 
Dadioh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Is there a place that sell the cable only without the kit? $80 is way too much i got no use for the tools all i need is the cable.
I checked eBay but they seem to all want about $30 plus shipping for them. I already have tools but I figure the extraction tool and grommets help make up for it.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=m...at=0&_from=R40

edit: How did you end up at $80? Mine was $45 plus about $6 shipping to Canada...
__________________
Almost an embarrassing amount of Apple Gear
Dadioh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Mattjeff
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Send a message via AIM to Mattjeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Is there a place that sell the cable only without the kit? $80 is way too much i got no use for the tools all i need is the cable.
30$ on amazon. There is a link above.
Mattjeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020
 
aziatiklover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadioh View Post
I checked eBay but they seem to all want about $30 plus shipping for them. I already have tools but I figure the extraction tool and grommets help make up for it.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=m...at=0&_from=R40

edit: How did you end up at $80? Mine was $45 plus about $6 shipping to Canada...
Oops was $70 but i was close lol
http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Ma...-Kit/IF171-005
__________________
ppleholic
aziatiklover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:23 AM   #9
carter2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Apple Mac Mini Server Flex Cable Mid 2010 Apple Part 922-9560 is available on amazon..Go and check it out
carter2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:56 AM   #10
xlii
macrumors 68000
 
xlii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millis, Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadioh View Post
Phew! I hate it when that happens
... and it seems to happen a lot!
xlii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:35 PM   #11
MrXiro
macrumors 68020
 
MrXiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Got mine for 26 bucks from Amazon, free shipping too I think. I had store credit for trading in some free blurays so I essentially got it for free.
MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken flex sata cable? Arv3n Mac mini 3 May 10, 2014 09:28 AM
Second HDD: flex cable or external case? madrag Mac mini 4 Nov 29, 2012 03:04 PM
Possible Photo of 'iPad Mini' Dock Connector Flex Cable with Headphone Jack at Bottom MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 112 Oct 14, 2012 01:12 AM
Audio Flex Ribbon Cable broken sadbrownguy iPhone 1 Aug 6, 2012 01:52 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC