Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
The iPad 4 is underrated.

I just recently upgraded my ipad 3 to an ipad 4. I wish Apple hadn't of released it so quickly, because I am really enjoying my new Ipad 4. The screen is absolutely perfect, and has a very "warm" feel to it, that I can't quite explain. It is also ridiculously fast. Also, I haven't noticed any lag while opening app folders (the ipad 3 was bad about this at times). Not to mention the added cameras, and the new lighting connector.

I played Crazy Taxi on my Ipad 4 last night, and was very pleased with how responsive everything was. The frame rate was absolutely outstanding. The ipad 4 is a gaming beast. I just hope we get to see more of it's power soon and it is used to it's full potential. I couldn't be more pleased with my ipad 4. I might possibly even sit the next generation out. Well, I say that now lol. We shall see. Are any other people really enjoying their ipad 4?
__________________
Black 4th gen ipod 32gb, iphone 5 space gray 16gb, and White Ipad 4 16gb Wifi.
Jacoblee23 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
The Game 161
macrumors 68040
 
The Game 161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
is crazy taxi a high powered game then?
The Game 161 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Medic311
macrumors 65816
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
i also made the upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4. apple allowed me to return the iPad 3 1 week outside of the return period (thanksfully).

the iPad 3 with the A5X was garbage for graphics intensive games. i used to own an iPad 2 and it played Metal Storm very well. on the iPad 3, it was choppy and there was such a lack of fluidity you felt like the A5X was struggling just to keep up.

all of that has been fully corrected with the iPad 4 w/ A6X. you're right, the app folders load instantly. not only that, but web pages load MUCH faster and when i say load i mean fully load...graphics and all. the device overall is much more snappier and doesn't seem to struggle like the A5X did. the iPad 4 w/ A6X is what the iPad 3 should have been.

i haven't tried out the new front facing camera, and i'm not sure when i will. i don't facetime that much to be honest.

i have mixed feelings about the lightning connector since all of my iOS devices used the 30-pin one. i only have 1 lightning cable and having to switch between the charger and the computer for transferring movies is a pain. normally i would do it over wifi sync, but i usually transfer an entire season of a TV or about 7 movies at a time (about 10GB). over wifi it would take forever. i predict this to be less of a problem once i purchase another lightning cable

one gripe i have with the iPad 4 was the disastrous restore experience i had restoring my iPad 3 backup to my iPad 4. it screwed up settings and then wifi sync wasn't working. i did everything i knew of, then called apple support and they weren't sure what was going on. i could stream music over homeshare just fine, just couldn't sync over wifi. they gave up and escalated the issue to their software team and authorized a return with a case #. i said i would think about it and make a decision before the return period is over.

i had one more trick up my sleeve. in the iPad wifi settings, i selected "forget this network" then re-connected to my wifi network. BOOM. now it works.

how odd. apparently it's an iOS 6 quirk when restoring from a device with iOS 5


i do miss the iPad 3 with the iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak though. i had a bluetooth mouse and logitech ultrathin bluetooth keyboard case. it was the perfect laptop replacement. i gave that up with the hardware upgrade to the iPad 4, but i expect within the next 3 months for there to be an iOS 6 jailbreak. from what i hear though, apple made iOS 6 a bit more difficult to crack

Last edited by Medic311; Nov 23, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Medic311 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Jacoblee23
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game 161 View Post
is crazy taxi a high powered game then?
The frame rate is pretty important, due to how fast the game moves.

----------

Also, I forgot to add: No more lag when using the 3 finger exit to home screen gesture.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
i also made the upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4. apple allowed me to return the iPad 3 1 week outside of the return period (thanksfully).

the iPad 3 with the A5X was garbage for graphics intensive games. i used to own an iPad 2 and it played Metal Storm very well. on the iPad 3, it was choppy and there was such a lack of fluidity you felt like the A5X was struggling just to keep up.

all of that has been fully corrected with the iPad 4 w/ A6X. you're right, the app folders load instantly. not only that, but web pages load MUCH faster and when i say load i mean fully load...graphics and all. the device overall is much more snappier and doesn't seem to struggle like the A5X did. the iPad 4 w/ A6X is what the iPad 3 should have been.


i haven't tried out the new front facing camera, and i'm not sure when i will. i don't facetime that much to be honest.

i have mixed feelings about the lightning connector since all of my iOS devices used the 30-pin one. i only have 1 lightning cable and having to switch between the charger and the computer for transferring movies is a pain. normally i would do it over wifi sync, but i usually transfer an entire season of a TV or about 7 movies at a time (about 10GB). over wifi it would take forever. i predict this to be less of a problem once i purchase another lightning cable

one gripe i have with the iPad 4 was the disastrous restore experience i had restoring my iPad 3 backup to my iPad 4. it screwed up settings and then wifi sync wasn't working. i did everything i knew of, then called apple support and they weren't sure what was going on. i could stream music over homeshare just fine, just couldn't sync over wifi. they gave up and escalated the issue to their software team and authorized a return with a case #. i said i would think about it and make a decision before the return period is over.

i had one more trick up my sleeve. in the iPad wifi settings, i selected "forget this network" then re-connected to my wifi network. BOOM. now it works.

how odd. apparently it's an iOS 6 quirk when restoring from a device with iOS 5


i do miss the iPad 3 with the iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak though. i had a bluetooth mouse and logitech ultrathin bluetooth keyboard case. it was the perfect laptop replacement. i gave that up with the hardware upgrade to the iPad 4, but i expect within the next 3 months for there to be an iOS 6 jailbreak. from what i hear though, apple made iOS 6 a bit more difficult to crack
I agree 100%.
__________________
Black 4th gen ipod 32gb, iphone 5 space gray 16gb, and White Ipad 4 16gb Wifi.
Jacoblee23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Ipadlover29
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
At first I was skeptical about getting the iPad 4. I decided to try it and instantly saw the difference. It's finally how my iPad 2 was or actually even faster. Pages load almost instantly. I'm enjoying the extra 1-2 hours more battery life and love the lightning connector with the faster charging adapter. Worth every penny - until the iPad 5 comes out.
Ipadlover29 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Jacoblee23
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipadlover29 View Post
At first I was skeptical about getting the iPad 4. I decided to try it and instantly saw the difference. It's finally how my iPad 2 was or actually even faster. Pages load almost instantly. I'm enjoying the extra 1-2 hours more battery life and love the lightning connector with the faster charging adapter. Worth every penny - until the iPad 5 comes out.
Quoted for truth.
__________________
Black 4th gen ipod 32gb, iphone 5 space gray 16gb, and White Ipad 4 16gb Wifi.
Jacoblee23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Ipadlover29
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Forgot to mention the LG screen. Didn't think I would like it, but I prefer it now over the previous Samsung made screens. It's brighter, more accurate and easier on the eyes for reading.
Ipadlover29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Abazigal
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
Amazing how a simple processor upgrade makes all the difference!
Abazigal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:27 AM   #9
WeegieMac
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoblee23 View Post
I just recently upgraded my ipad 3 to an ipad 4. I wish Apple hadn't of released it so quickly, because I am really enjoying my new Ipad 4. The screen is absolutely perfect, and has a very "warm" feel to it, that I can't quite explain. It is also ridiculously fast. Also, I haven't noticed any lag while opening app folders (the ipad 3 was bad about this at times). Not to mention the added cameras, and the new lighting connector.

I played Crazy Taxi on my Ipad 4 last night, and was very pleased with how responsive everything was. The frame rate was absolutely outstanding. The ipad 4 is a gaming beast. I just hope we get to see more of it's power soon and it is used to it's full potential. I couldn't be more pleased with my ipad 4. I might possibly even sit the next generation out. Well, I say that now lol. We shall see. Are any other people really enjoying their ipad 4?
Crazy Taxi screams on the iPad 3, and by that I mean at Dreamcast level. Considering I paid 70 for the game on Japanese import back in the day and could rack up multi million scores on single attempts lasting hours, I know how Crazy Taxi should "feel". On my 4S there is a noticeable step down in frame rate when coming from the iPad. There is zero performance difference between the 3 and 4 on this particular game.

Crazy Taxi is not the game to power test your 4. I understand people are happy with their device and many come here for a doze of back slapping and self reassurance about their purchase, but making irrational and incorrect claims helps no one. Crazy Taxi is not hindered in any way, speed or performance wise on the 3 and is no smoother on the 4.

Recent 3D games though? Well that'll be another story, but the major releases thus far in 2012 run fine on iPad 3 and if you watch the FireMonkeys interview below with Rob Murray from August he confirms that the Real Racing 3 footage we see in the background trailer is running in real time on the A5X or A5+ as he calls it.

http://youtu.be/UQhuTO7qcWE

Last edited by WeegieMac; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:46 AM   #10
WeegieMac
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoblee23 View Post
The frame rate is pretty important, due to how fast the game moves.

----------

Also, I forgot to add: No more lag when using the 3 finger exit to home screen gesture.
I've experienced no lag on my 3 when using this gesture ... although I use the correct 5 finger pinch gesture. *sarcasm

Last edited by WeegieMac; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:26 AM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Crazy Taxi also "screams" on the iPad Mini and its easier to play due to the lighter, smaller device.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:22 AM   #12
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
iPad 4 is BOSS, iPad mini is... For the kids
Fruit Cake is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:18 AM   #13
bigboar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
It isn't underrated by me, at least not now....I am thankful everyday that I went and tried a 4 before my return period was up on the mini..
__________________
Thanks for viewing my Signature!
bigboar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:20 AM   #14
nasa25
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Having both the 4 and the mini is an option as well. Hey, why not.
nasa25 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:34 AM   #15
Jacoblee23
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipadlover29 View Post
Forgot to mention the LG screen. Didn't think I would like it, but I prefer it now over the previous Samsung made screens. It's brighter, more accurate and easier on the eyes for reading.
Thank you! I knew something was different about the screen, and it seemed better to me. Thanks for clarifying.
__________________
Black 4th gen ipod 32gb, iphone 5 space gray 16gb, and White Ipad 4 16gb Wifi.
Jacoblee23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:28 PM   #16
puma1552
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Having just bought my first iPad last Saturday, I feel like I probably got on the iPad train at the right time with this 4. It's a mature product in it's fourth version, iOS 6 is nice, the retina screen is in it's second generation, and overall the device just feels more or less like it should. I have nothing to compare it to, but it just feels right the way it operates.

Luckily my screen is perfect with no backlight bleeding as well; my only gripe is that while it doesn't have a yellow cast, it does indeed have a warmer hue to it than my 4S, whereas I prefer cooler screens. From what I've heard though all of the iPad 4s have a warm screen. Not a big deal though.

100% satisfied.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:15 PM   #17
richardmu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
iPad 4 is BOSS, iPad mini is... For the kids
Agree. I returned the mini, just didn't feel right, more like a toy.

Picked up the 4 yesterday with the 8% discount in the UK and am very pleased so far.

However, I will probably keep my 2. I can totally understand why Apple still sell it. In many ways it is the perfect iPad for the casual user. To my eyes the retina screen does not look hugely different!
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:56 PM   #18
Sowelu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York City
IMHO, the iPad 4 was a great upgrade to the iPad 3 for the following reasons:

Despite being more powerful, it runs cooler (never gets hot) -
Normal (faster) charging times -
Longer battery life -
Noticeably faster WiFi and general performance -
Better, louder, clearer speaker -
Lightening connector -

And for me, the display is one of the brightest I've seen with uniform vibrant colors, high contrast, white whites, no hues or tints or light bleed. I don't think this has anything to do with the iPad 4, I think I just got lucky this time.
__________________
..[15" MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz i7, Hi-Rez, 8GB, 512GB SSD, OSX ML]..[11" MacBook Air, 1.6GHz i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD, OSX ML]..[iPhone 5 + iPad 4]
Sowelu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:27 PM   #19
NJHitmen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowelu View Post
IMHO, the iPad 4 was a great upgrade to the iPad 3 for the following reasons:

Despite being more powerful, it runs cooler (never gets hot) -
Normal (faster) charging times -
Longer battery life -
Noticeably faster WiFi and general performance -
Better, louder, clearer speaker -
Lightening connector -

And for me, the display is one of the brightest I've seen with uniform vibrant colors, high contrast, white whites, no hues or tints or light bleed. I don't think this has anything to do with the iPad 4, I think I just got lucky this time.

I agree with your general point, but some of the "improvements" listed above don't really qualify as such. Faster charging is solely due to the 12W AC adapter, which you can certainly use with an iPad 3 ($20 from Apple). Speaker isn't better; per ifixit's tear down, the 3 and 4 use identical speakers. And this is debatable, but I don't see the lightning connector as an improvement. At least for now, there is zero additional functionality, and the downside is that all my old legacy adapters/accessories no longer work. Not exactly a point in the 4's favor (not for me, at least).

I do agree that the speed is noticeably improved (overall performance and wifi), and I'm pretty happy with the display (though the 3's screen looks pretty good too, from what I've seen). The speed bump alone makes the upgrade worthwhile to me.
NJHitmen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Sowelu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHitmen View Post
I agree with your general point, but some of the "improvements" listed above don't really qualify as such. Faster charging is solely due to the 12W AC adapter, which you can certainly use with an iPad 3 ($20 from Apple). Speaker isn't better; per ifixit's tear down, the 3 and 4 use identical speakers. And this is debatable, but I don't see the lightning connector as an improvement. At least for now, there is zero additional functionality, and the downside is that all my old legacy adapters/accessories no longer work. Not exactly a point in the 4's favor (not for me, at least).

I do agree that the speed is noticeably improved (overall performance and wifi), and I'm pretty happy with the display (though the 3's screen looks pretty good too, from what I've seen). The speed bump alone makes the upgrade worthwhile to me.
Everyone is different, these are just my own personal findings.

I never liked the 30-pin connector and all my iPad accessories use AirPlay wirelessly so the Lightening Cable was a plus for me. Aside from the smaller size, I like that it works in both directions and it has a nice tight snap when connected. I picked up 7 Lightening Cables, threw them everywhere and called it a day.

As for the speaker, I know I'm not going crazy, so maybe Apple is using multiple suppliers for this component as well. The speaker in my iPad 4 is noticeably richer with a fuller sound. Perhaps I had inferior speakers in my previous iPads.

My iPad 3 used to run hot and would take forever to charge, so the fact that the (or my) iPad 4 runs cooler and is noticeably faster with normal charging times is well worth the upgrade.
__________________
..[15" MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz i7, Hi-Rez, 8GB, 512GB SSD, OSX ML]..[11" MacBook Air, 1.6GHz i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD, OSX ML]..[iPhone 5 + iPad 4]
Sowelu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:05 PM   #21
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHitmen View Post
I agree with your general point, but some of the "improvements" listed above don't really qualify as such. Faster charging is solely due to the 12W AC adapter, which you can certainly use with an iPad 3 ($20 from Apple). Speaker isn't better; per ifixit's tear down, the 3 and 4 use identical speakers. And this is debatable, but I don't see the lightning connector as an improvement. At least for now, there is zero additional functionality, and the downside is that all my old legacy adapters/accessories no longer work. Not exactly a point in the 4's favor (not for me, at least).

I do agree that the speed is noticeably improved (overall performance and wifi), and I'm pretty happy with the display (though the 3's screen looks pretty good too, from what I've seen). The speed bump alone makes the upgrade worthwhile to me.
The lightning connector is reversible. This is sounds like its not such a great feature but it makes a big difference. I used to get so annoyed with the old one at night lol.
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:25 AM   #22
NJHitmen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
The lightning connector is reversible. This is sounds like its not such a great feature but it makes a big difference. I used to get so annoyed with the old one at night lol.
Oh, I know that, and the reversibility is very cool. I can plug the thing in in the dark with nary a worry. What's not cool, though, is that my old docks, adapters and such have been rendered utterly useless. I'd rather revert to one-direction plugs than trash all my old stuff.

Again, that's just me. If you don't own many of the 30-pin products, it's a non-issue, and I guess the lightning cable would be a small enhancement in that case.
NJHitmen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:42 AM   #23
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHitmen View Post
Oh, I know that, and the reversibility is very cool. I can plug the thing in in the dark with nary a worry. What's not cool, though, is that my old docks, adapters and such have been rendered utterly useless. I'd rather revert to one-direction plugs than trash all my old stuff.

Again, that's just me. If you don't own many of the 30-pin products, it's a non-issue, and I guess the lightning cable would be a small enhancement in that case.
Yeah it would be annoying if you had a lot of 30 pin products. Apple had to do it eventually though. It was too big and the cable looked dated imo. Shame that the adaptors cost like 30 bucks.
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:44 AM   #24
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
iPad 3 is underrated too !

Especially with jailbreak
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:11 AM   #25
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
Yeah it would be annoying if you had a lot of 30 pin products. Apple had to do it eventually though. It was too big and the cable looked dated imo. Shame that the adaptors cost like 30 bucks.
I found another cons of the 30-pin connector. It's quite easily detached by lateral forces, i.e. if you pull the cable to the left or right it's quite easy to detach. The lightning connector plugs into the socket deeper so the connection is more secure too (that's what she said ).
__________________
Mac: rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most underrated car you've ever driven? G51989 Community Discussion 12 Mar 21, 2014 09:18 PM
iPad Air Gems (Share your favorite underrated apps) Shawzborne iPad Apps 0 Mar 16, 2014 10:44 AM
Do Not Disturb Underrated? w00t951 iPhone 56 Oct 12, 2012 11:36 AM
iPhone 5 is WAY underrated cthree87 iPhone 33 Oct 2, 2012 02:25 PM
bumpers are underrated aliensarecool iPhone Accessories 24 Sep 2, 2012 07:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC