Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I called Apple today to get a replacement iPhone 5 due to problems I was having. Not a problem, she took my CC information to put a hold, the useally stuff.

Then she said, I see you have AppleCare+, so I will go ahead and waive all fees.

I was like in my head: Wait I didn't buy AC+?
Me:.....Ok

Confused out of my mind, what flagged I had AC+? Was this a glitch?

I did recently just buy AppleCare for my Mac, but she pulled me up my serial number, my Mac shouldn't have been shown.

Am I just a lucky? Has this happened to anyone else? Don't get my wrong, I'm not complaning, I just want to know how backend this happenend. :p

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
"I see you have AppleCare so I will go ahead and waive all fees" makes no sense as all iPhone 5 are under the standard one year AppleCare warranty. Are you sure she said AppleCare Plus rather than just AppleCare?

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
"I see you have AppleCare so I will go ahead and waive all fees" makes no sense as all iPhone 5 are under the standard one year AppleCare warranty. Are you sure she said AppleCare Plus rather than just AppleCare?

I said in my original post, AppleCare+, so yes.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

Huh? All iphone 5's have a one year warranty. They do not have AppleCare and it is not available anyway. AppleCare+ is an optional two year warranty and replacement plan.

It looks like some kind of a mix up. You can check the status of all of your iDevices on the Apple website:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

applefanboy5

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I called Apple today to get a replacement iPhone 5 due to problems I was having. Not a problem, she took my CC information to put a hold, the useally stuff.

Then she said, I see you have AppleCare+, so I will go ahead and waive all fees.

I was like in my head: Wait I didn't buy AC+?
Me:.....Ok

Confused out of my mind, what flagged I had AC+? Was this a glitch?

I did recently just buy AppleCare for my Mac, but she pulled me up my serial number, my Mac shouldn't have been shown.

Am I just a lucky? Has this happened to anyone else? Don't get my wrong, I'm not complaning, I just want to know how backend this happenend. :p

Did she waive the 30$ shipping fee? and do you know if its a refurbished they're sending you or new?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Huh? All iphone 5's have a one year warranty. They do not have AppleCare and it is not available anyway. AppleCare+ is an optional two year warranty and replacement plan.

It's semantics. The standard one-year warranty is sometimes called AppleCare whereas the extended warranty is technically "Applecare Protection Plan" (now Applecare+). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleCare

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I thought I read somewhere you have AppleCare+ for the first year of the phone but can pay to extend it, not sure exactly though so just throwing it out there

That's not exactly accurate as you don't have accidental damage protection in the first year that you get with AppleCare+. AppleCare+ is the "AppleCare Protection Plan" that you purchase.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
If you don't have Applecare+ They normally charge the express replacement fee (Where they send you a new phone and you give your one to the UPS guy).

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
AC+ has nothing to do with any "fees" unless the device was damaged in which case it would have been a $49 deductible vs. the standard $229 for an iPhone 5. So if the OP was only getting a replacement for a mechanical problem then I'm not sure what fees she was "waiving".

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
AC+ has nothing to do with any "fees" unless the device was damaged in which case it would have been a $49 deductible vs. the standard $229 for an iPhone 5. So if the OP was only getting a replacement for a mechanical problem then I'm not sure what fees she was "waiving".

The express replacement fee.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
What fees, OP? The phone is brand new. EVERY iPhone 5 on the planet is under full warranty right now. So if a phone is defective it gets replaced free of charge, AppleCare+ or not.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The express replacement fee.

I missed that part. How much is this fee? One can always swap at the local Apple store if you want to avoid this fee.

OP, did you purchase your iPhone from your carrier? Some of them are known to force AC+ on customers as a requisite of buying the iPhone so is it possible it was charged to your CC without your knowledge?

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
What fees, OP? The phone is brand new. EVERY iPhone 5 on the planet is under full warranty right now. So if a phone is defective it gets replaced free of charge, AppleCare+ or not.

The express replacement fee

----------

I missed that part. How much is this fee? One can always swap at the local Apple store if you want to avoid this fee.

OP, did you purchase your iPhone from your carrier? Some of them are known to force AC+ on customers as a requisite of buying the iPhone so is it possible it was charged to your CC without your knowledge?

I think it is about $30. Going to an apple store is not feasible for a lot of people. For example the closest one to me is 3 hours away.

One can also avoid the fee by sending Inez's phone back first but then you are without a phone until your replacement comes back.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Did she waive the 30$ shipping fee? and do you know if its a refurbished they're sending you or new?

Yup, I called again and verified to see what the real charges are for next time. There is a $29.99, a $7 something, and a $1. I was like, sheesh, thank god I got a happy rep. I find it ironic, she said her name was Happy.

Thanks Happy if you are reading this! :) :apple:

You get reps that actually care, and then there are the ones that can't bend a little rule or two.

----------

Exactly! Some senior advisor said no, it is courtesy to waive it. I'm like, wait a minute, for someone that has THREE replacement devices, all defective, I have to transfer everything every single time, waste me gas to go return it; the LEAST you could do at this point is to waive a shipping fee.

FYI: I never asked for it to be waived, them simply said, I'll just waive it for you without even mentioning it.

Also, I had to call in again and explained my expereience, the senior advisor simply laughed. He said that she must have been new or something. "Don't worry man, I'll remove the charges for you".

He removed the hold amount retail price of the iPhone, and made sure to put that I shouldn't get charged for future problems. Gotta say, there are good reps out there, then a few sour apples. Pun intended. ;)

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Yup, I called again and verified to see what the real charges are for next time. There is a $29.99, a $7 something, and a $1. I was like, sheesh, thank god I got a happy rep. I find it ironic, she said her name was Happy.

Thanks Happy if you are reading this! :) :apple:

That's actually the exact opposite of ironic.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I think even just regular apple care does.

Apparently not. From http://images.apple.com/legal/terms/docs/iphone_ars_na_en.pdf ,

If you want to minimize the amount of time without an iPhone when seeking service under Apple’s warranty, Apple can mail you an express replacement iPhone for a fee when you arrange service. This fee is waived for AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone customers. This service is additional to the service options available at no charge under Apple’s warranty and does not otherwise affect your statutory rights.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Apparently not. From http://images.apple.com/legal/terms/docs/iphone_ars_na_en.pdf ,

If you want to minimize the amount of time without an iPhone when seeking service under Apple’s warranty, Apple can mail you an express replacement iPhone for a fee when you arrange service. This fee is waived for AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone customers. This service is additional to the service options available at no charge under Apple’s warranty and does not otherwise affect your statutory rights.

This just says exactly what I said... What am I missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.