Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1
poisoncoyote
macrumors newbie

Adapter for Samsung 840 SSD?

I just got in on the $140 ebay deal for the Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TD250BW. This is my first SSD so I'm not entirely sure what I'll need to install it on my Mac Pro. I noticed this on the Amazon description page:

Quote:
Installation Kit also includes 3.5" bracket with screws, SATA data and power cables, mounting spacer, and SATA to USB adapter cable
Is that all I need to get it going in my Mac Pro or is there some other sort of adapter I need to install it correctly?

Thanks for the help.
poisoncoyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:58 PM   #2
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisoncoyote View Post
I just got in on the $140 ebay deal for the Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TD250BW. This is my first SSD so I'm not entirely sure what I'll need to install it on my Mac Pro. I noticed this on the Amazon description page:

Is that all I need to get it going in my Mac Pro or is there some other sort of adapter I need to install it correctly?

Thanks for the help.
Yep, it's got all you need.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:38 AM   #3
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisoncoyote View Post

Thanks for the help.
Yes, you should need an adapter. The model number of the one we ordered on eBay is MZ-7TD250BW, which is not the kit. The kit ends in KW and includes the spacer. According to Samsung and even the Amazon page you're referring to, it says the spacer is only including in the installation kit.

I found an adapter that should work for you, OWC makes one. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ting/MMP35T25/
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
phpmaven
macrumors 68020

Icy Dock I have three of these. They're great.
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:54 PM   #5
poisoncoyote
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
Yes, you should need an adapter. The model number of the one we ordered on eBay is MZ-7TD250BW, which is not the kit. The kit ends in KW and includes the spacer. According to Samsung and even the Amazon page you're referring to, it says the spacer is only including in the installation kit.

I found an adapter that should work for you, OWC makes one. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ting/MMP35T25/
Wow. Ok, thanks.

Just looked at that page, and they are not compatible with my early 2008 Mac Pro. I've ordered the one from the other post. Thanks for all the help everyone.
poisoncoyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
honopu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post
Icy Dock I have three of these. They're great.
I had one of these arrive DOA from amazon. I mounted it to the tray and it simply didn't work.

For the money the OWC blue tray is probably better.
honopu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:32 AM   #7
phpmaven
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by honopu View Post
I had one of these arrive DOA from amazon. I mounted it to the tray and it simply didn't work.

For the money the OWC blue tray is probably better.
Well... That's certainly very unusual. Many people on these forums use them and this is the first time I've ever heard of a problem. I think that the Icy Dock is a more elegant solution, but whatever floats your boat.
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:12 PM   #8
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post
Well... That's certainly very unusual. Many people on these forums use them and this is the first time I've ever heard of a problem. I think that the Icy Dock is a more elegant solution, but whatever floats your boat.
Not that unusual. I read all the "how do I mount my SSD threads" and more than one person has complained about the Icy Dock.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:51 PM   #9
designer22
macrumors member

I see that this SSD adapter is for 2009 MacPro's - any advice for the 2008 Pro? Thanks.
designer22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:48 PM   #10
DPUser
macrumors 6502

Unless you plan on moving your Mac around, one or more SSD's can just sit in the optical bay.

Put your SSD in the optical bay and route its connection via a SATA cable to one of the two unused SATA ports on the 2008 MP motherboard. Search the web for details. For power you can use the power supply cable intended for the second optical drive; you may need an adaptor to connect to your SSD.

I have one (soon to be three) SSD's in my 2009 MP taped with double-sided foam tape to the top of my optical drive which I moved to the lower slot so it became, effectively, my SSD "shelf."
DPUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:05 PM   #11
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPUser View Post
I have one (soon to be three) SSD's in my 2009 MP taped with double-sided foam tape to the top of my optical drive which I moved to the lower slot so it became, effectively, my SSD "shelf."
There is enough physical space for three, but not enough connectors.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:27 PM   #12
DPUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
There is enough physical space for three, but not enough connectors.
I've got a dual SATA card and power splitter... For the OP, connections for a single drive should be there, given proper cables.
DPUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro