Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
HarryHoodlum
macrumors member

Had 2 iPad Minis replaced already

Noticed A LOT of dust getting under the digitizer glass (seemingly from the volume buttons), so I brought it to an apple store to get checked out. After the guy basically said "we don't have that model in stock", I had to inquire about a replacement without the box. He found one for me and exchanged it for the dusty one. When I got out to my car to inspect it, I was shocked to find several noticeable pieces of dust under the glass. So I went back into the store and the "expert" sales guy inspects my replacement with a flashlight and confirms that there are in fact particles of some sort in there. At this point another guy gets called out of the back to "take care of it". The 2nd replacement was perfect and it seems to be holding up. I wonder if this is a known problem with early shipments, or maybe the fault of one of the display manufacturers.
HarryHoodlum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Why did you go out the store without looking at the replacement , opening the box
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:34 PM   #3
HarryHoodlum
macrumors member

Because I assumed that was impossible, which was a poor assumption.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:17 PM   #4
MisterDisney
macrumors 6502a

Whenever I've done an exchange at an Apple store, there's been time to inspect the device while they complete the process. But then I usually stay and use their wifi to restore my backup, too.
MisterDisney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:27 PM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Why would you blame display manufacturers when you said that you assume dust is getting in there through the volume buttons? Seems to me dust wasn't in there on the first iPad until after you bought it, right?
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:49 AM   #6
HarryHoodlum
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Why would you blame display manufacturers when you said that you assume dust is getting in there through the volume buttons? Seems to me dust wasn't in there on the first iPad until after you bought it, right?
There was no dust under my preordered mini when I got it, no. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just speculating. I understand that the mini uses a 2 part digitizer/LCD setup, and the final assembly in China may be to blame for the flaw. Regardless, I'm pretty sad that the glass isn't fused to the display, because now I'm going to notice anythig that gets in there. If I can't have a retina display, fine. But I want all of the pixels I do have to be unobstructed.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad