Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone-camera-icon.jpg
Telegraph reports that Black Eyed Peas star Will.i.am will be launching an iPhone accessory next week that promises to boost your iPhone's camera significantly.
The first product from his new consumer electronics and app venture i.am+ is an accessory that clips onto an iPhone and transforms the eight megapixel smartphone camera into a 14 megapixel camera, which it is claimed dramatically enhances the clarity and definition of your photographs. Speaking exclusively to The Daily Telegraph, he says: 'We have our own sensor and a better flash. You dock you phone into our device and it turns you smartphone into a genius-phone. We take over the camera.'
Few details are offered, but it is described as interfacing to the iPhone through the dock-connector and has its own camera and flash hardware.

Article Link: Will.i.am to Launch 14 Megapixel Camera Add-on for iPhone

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Pics or it didn't happen.

I don't believe these kind of wild claims, until I have evidence of the contrary. Less disappointments that way.

Edit: "it is described as interfacing to the iPhone through the dock-connector and has its own camera and flash hardware." Ah, in that case it's more believable.

TheClarkster

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
So you have to carry this extra 'camera' with you, but it only works when attached to the iPhone?

Why not just a standalone camera then?

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
This add-on better be so three thousand and eight.

And not two thousand and late

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The add-on carries Megapixels of fourteen...

And it's maker claims it lean and mean...

It will come out in two thousand and thirteen...

Will.I.Am promoting the camera of dreams.

Oh...and one more thing. It (the camera) will be the size of a Black-eyed pea!!

Last edited:

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
This add-on better be so three thousand and eight.

And not two thousand and late

First thing I thought of was the camera add-on my dad had for his palm pilot... I remember that being our first digital camera.

Edit: This was in the late 90s if I remember correctly.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
If it's got a real (optical) zoom and a much better flash, I'm in!

But I'm more for the zoom and better lighting, I really don't need that many more megapixels...

It would be great if it could flip around and be a front facing camera too! *Probably an option for the lightning connector devices, right? Unless it's got a case for the phone built in, I assume it'll work on the iPad and iPad Mini and iPod Touch too.

Gary

Last edited:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I had a Kodak DC20 in 1995. It shot 320x240 pixel photos. The Apple QuickTakes predated that and were around as early as 1993-1994.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
It sounds like a camera that just requires an iPhone for you to be able to use it...Cool, I guess.

mcstain

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
will.i.am said:
You dock you phone into our device and it turns you smartphone into a genius-phone.

Sounds like someone needs a genius-phone to correct their grammar.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Everything about Mr. Adams just disgusts me. First he considers himself a "musician", now he has the audacity to have a hardware line. It's just disgusting and insulting to real musicians and designers. My opinion? No, it's a fact.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
What's the point?

1. The iPhone already has a decent camera.
2. I don't need another bulky accessory.
3. Megapixels aren't everything.
4. I don't need something that's made by will dot i dot am plus.
5. It will probab--er--definitely cost a lot.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Will.i.am ?

Well.i.never !

will.i.am logic describing the idea of the iPhone camera and new camera accessory..

“Straight away I was like, that cameras dope. Then the second camera came in and I was like, that’s two times dope. So now I think we need to add another camera and that makes it like three times super dope”.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Will.I.Am must consider himself a "genius" or something for his rendition of "Betta get yo boom boom boom" and various other talentless efforts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.