Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:15 AM   #76
bushido
macrumors 603

how silly, instead of carrying around this add-on u may as well carry around a camera

additionally if this is a clip on case for the iPhone 5 it is going to RUIN your black colored bezel in no time
scratched surface here we come
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:26 AM   #77
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

How can anyone take someone who spells their name like that seriously?
Kissaragi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:34 AM   #78
Boilermaker_coday
macrumors member

A few thoughts on this product, however I am not into photography and would probably not buy this whether or not it was worth the investment...

- If this has a better flash and optical zoom those are two things that actually could improve the iPhone's photography. Assuming that it has these features, will.i.am should advertise that because I feel like the megapixel war is about over.

- I'm not sure how the professional cameras are on the market today, as far as connectivity with an iPhone or iPod go. Are there any camera's that let you go straight from taking the picture to having it on your iPhone, and accessible through Apple's "Photos" app? If there aren't any cameras that do this yet, and this device did that automatically, that would be another small benefit of having it. (and I'm counting cameras with wi-fi using flickr or the like to upload a picture to the cloud and then re-download it to your iOS device. I'm talking instant access. Especially if you are using an iPod that doesn't have an internet connection in the field).

- People are talking about how this product is redundant because it would actually have you end up carrying around 2 devices around. What if, however, it was in the form-factor of a case? (similar to the battery extender cases). If this product isn't, then someone else should make some.

- Either way, it is not always a bad idea to have your product endorsed by a celebrity (that's what is probably happening here). There are a lot of people on here who swear up and down on "Beats by dre" when you can buy headphones that sound just as good for $40-50 bucks, and headphones that sound better for $100.
Boilermaker_coday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:35 AM   #79
rmwebs
Banned

I think I'd rather have one of the new Samsung cameras with android - they genuinely seem pretty great.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:37 AM   #80
AppleMacFinder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
This add-on better be so three thousand and eight.

And not two thousand and late
Nobody will buy it for three thousand.
AppleMacFinder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:38 AM   #81
acarney
macrumors 6502

The only thing I can think is this might target those new $500+ Droid cameras. It is nice being able to email or post a photo in the wild over the cell network AND not having to pay extra for data JUST for a camera. Give me a 1.4 to 1.8f lens and maybe a optical 4 or 5x zoom in a package not too big for $100 to $149 and it might have a market. Bonus if it's a battery case WITH the camera or allows the camera to write to SDHC and the phone just acts as the screen/processor.

The market would be improving the iPhone camera into the world of point and shoot for half the price or less of say a Canon S110 or Droid camera. The DSLR is for planned shoots while this would be for a day trip in the city and to the zoo where you don't want to/can't carry a camera case and worry about $1000s. But why carry two devices and have to buy that second one for ~$400 (S110 etc) ?

(Or have the iPhone, a $400 S110 just to get that larger lens some zoom, AND a Mark III or something, makes sense to cut one out and just have the extremes of extra portable and massive quality DSLR)
acarney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:42 AM   #82
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Probably cheaper to just buy a regular 14MP camera. If this had been out when the 3G or 3GS came out then it would have been worth it, not today.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:55 AM   #83
vanzantapple
macrumors regular

Oscar-Mayer makes some good Bologna too.
vanzantapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:00 AM   #84
Dagless
macrumors Core

Is this going to be like those Beats headphones, in that they're actually awful and aimed at a market that won't be able to afford them?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:02 AM   #85
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Tell that to Hasselblad users
That is not why people buy Hasselblad ...

They do it for the effective resolution which is a product of the large sensor and the high quality optics, and for the color accuracy and dynamic range.
BeachChair is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:07 AM   #86
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

will.i.buy? I.think.not.
Boatboy24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:09 AM   #88
DrMotownMac
macrumors regular

Wait a sec...will.i.am has a "consumer electronics and app venture?" Has this turkey suddenly become some sort of renaissance man? Hey WILLY, why don't you stick to music? When you get some education in electrical engineering, come back and show us what you can do, okay? At least Leonardo da Vinci WAS a genius. Who the f--- does will.i.am think he is?

And for those of you who are upset about all the "haters" ... Consider this: Many people on this board carry advanced degrees in subjects like computer science and electrical engineering, and they have been working their whole lives to develop new products and gadgets. And some idiot savant rapper comes along, declares himself an electronics expert, and develops a new gadget (with some help from actual educated employees). I'm not in the electronics industry myself, but I totally understand why there's some hate out there for this imbecile. There's not enough money in the music business? He needs to compete with others in areas he knows nothing about? Yeah, most of us would like to see him fail miserably.
DrMotownMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:11 AM   #89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
How the hell did Will.I.am get where he is today. He can't sing, he can't rap and he sure as hell can't produce.

How do these people exist, or are they merely created to show us how **** the world is.
...and there are so many like him in the wild...
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:12 AM   #90
netdoc66
macrumors regular

Funny way of looking at things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPice View Post
Everything about Mr. Adams just disgusts me. First he considers himself a "musician", now he has the audacity to have a hardware line. It's just disgusting and insulting to real musicians and designers. My opinion? No, it's a fact.
This Adams guy could buy your ass 200 times being a "fake" musician. This guy's voice has been heard on Mars. Don't be a hater.
netdoc66 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:20 AM   #91
MacFlorida
macrumors newbie

I would rather get the new GoPro Hero 3.
The new WiFi interface with iOS seems pretty neat.

I can see someone on an African Safari and just before a lion kill, the handheld camera phone rings.
The last picture ever taken alive on his iPhone's Will.i.am was ___
MacFlorida is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:23 AM   #92
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Is this going to be like those Beats headphones, in that they're actually awful and aimed at a market that won't be able to afford them?
Most likely. God those Beats are terrible - quite shocking that people are still stupid enough to think they are special/good headphones.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:24 AM   #93
applemotor
macrumors member

will.i.sue all those people who thought of my idea before I did?
applemotor is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:26 AM   #94
Gomff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMotownMac View Post
And for those of you who are upset about all the "haters" ... Consider this: Many people on this board carry advanced degrees in subjects like computer science and electrical engineering, and they have been working their whole lives to develop new products and gadgets. And some idiot savant rapper comes along, declares himself an electronics expert, and develops a new gadget (with some help from actual educated employees). I'm not in the electronics industry myself, but I totally understand why there's some hate out there for this imbecile. There's not enough money in the music business? He needs to compete with others in areas he knows nothing about? Yeah, most of us would like to see him fail miserably.
You're right. Everybody should just stick to one thing and never try anything different, especially African American "idiot savant" rappers. Because that's how progress and innovation happens.

Please don't include me in your awful diatribe.....I'd like to see this succeed and I applaud the guy. He's actually trying to drive innovation as well as running projects he funds himself aimed at producing the next generation of technological innovators.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:27 AM   #95
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

I fail to see why people are making such a big hoohaa over an optional iphone accessory which nobody is forcing them to buy. I certainly don't see a million other threads here criticising every single iphone add-on produced to date.

If you are satisfied with the quality of your phone camera, then by all means stick with what you have. For people who do desire and appreciate a better camera (and have no desire to lug around a separate camera), this might be the solution. And it seems like it might double as a case as well, which is an added bonus.

Quote:
And your point is...?

Is there some law that states that only people with degrees in advance computer science and electrical engineering may develop and produce new iphone gadgets?
Abazigal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 AM   #96
chambord
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMotownMac View Post
Wait a sec...will.i.am has a "consumer electronics and app venture?" Has this turkey suddenly become some sort of renaissance man? Hey WILLY, why don't you stick to music? When you get some education in electrical engineering, come back and show us what you can do, okay? At least Leonardo da Vinci WAS a genius. Who the f--- does will.i.am think he is?

Your response and defense is absolutely ridiculous. It seems that part of your anger is that he is already successful ("is there not enough money in music already?") Are you anti-capitalism? Are you against a successful person re-investing their money into technology to make new and better technology? Do you understand what venture capital is?

All of this hate towards someone who simply invested money into the development of new technology is completely bizarre. It's basically a bunch of nobodies getting their jollies off by badmouthing some celebrity.
chambord is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:44 AM   #97
motorazr
macrumors 6502

If they use a bigger sensor + incredible lens or interchangeable lens of a sort, I'll be taking this up in a heartbeat..

...also assuming it's "reasonably" priced -- that is, preferably not several hundred dollars.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:00 AM   #98
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
This add-on better be so three thousand and eight.

And not two thousand and late
I logged in just to give you the one uptick needed to give you 100.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:05 AM   #99
zone23
macrumors 6502a

I love how the thread starts off all negative like you have better ideas but your too busy eating potato chips and sucking on Coke a Cola in the basement of your moms house to do anything about it. The internet just sucks you haven't even seen it but you just "know" its useless. Get lost stay off the net PLEASE!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:07 AM   #100
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

I love the accessory opportunity that idevices have but you got to draw the line some where. And this is the time to do it.
Sad to see musicians and actors put their name on crap products just to make a few bucks. Even ludacris has headphones now.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion