Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
The 2nd, 4th, or whichever gen there was a deal on. Just curious mostly and I picked up the 4 as I felt the price was good especially over a 3 I could have gotten for $449 on Wednesday. Glad I passed on that one.

jonter19

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Dropped by my local Target yesterday about 12pm and they were completely sold out of all iPads (all models and sizes).

Looks like a lot of people got iPads yesterday.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I kind of rode the coattails of these BF deals and picked up an iPad 3 32 GB off of craiglist for $325 from someone who was buying a 4th gen model. It's in great shape (1 dead pixel though, but I can live with that) and is under warranty until August of next year; I'm happy with my first ever iPad purchase!

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Got a 16GB iPad 2 for my mother-in-law and a 32GB AT&T iPad 4 for me at Target on Thursday evening when they opened at 9pm. I bought just those two items and I was in line for a total of 2.5 hours! 5% off each with a Target credit card and a $60 gift card for each.
Interestingly I was back in the same store at noon on Friday - all the iPad 2s were gone but they still had a lot of the iPad 4s in all configurations.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Picked up a black 16gb WiFi only iPad 4 yesterday at my local Apple store in Bristol to partner my 32gb white WiFi + cellular iPad 2. Sucker for a bit of a discount and I wanted to try out a 4 after reading so many threads about it on here.

Must have a very good 2 as I really cannot see a huge difference between the two screens, and the 4 only seems marginally snappier for my light use. Still nice to have a new Apple toy.

The mini I got a couple of weeks ago went back as I was not that impressed. Preferred my Kindle Fire HD to be honest.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
The mini I got a couple of weeks ago went back as I was not that impressed. Preferred my Kindle Fire HD to be honest.

Wow, really? Strange. May I ask why...?

I personally think the Kindle Fire HD hasn't got anything on the iPad mini, except for the screen. But hardly.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I returned a bunch of things I bought within the last couple weeks and rebought the same items to get the discounted price. The store was pretty cool with that.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wow, really? Strange. May I ask why...?

I personally think the Kindle Fire HD hasn't got anything on the iPad mini, except for the screen. But hardly.

I've got an iPad 2 which I have used almost daily since the launch. Suppose I am used to the weight and screen size of the 2 and now the new 4 so the mini felt a bit like a kid' s toy. Just didn't feel right for me.

I bought the Kindle to see what an android device was like. Love the screen but I would agree that it is nowhere near as smooth or slick as the mini. The mini is good if you want the smaller form factor with the Apple eco system. It is just another one of my many overlapping toys that my wife endlessly point out to me! Very nice Amazon official leather case.....

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I've got an iPad 2 which I have used almost daily since the launch. Suppose I am used to the weight and screen size of the 2 and now the new 4 so the mini felt a bit like a kid' s toy. Just didn't feel right for me.

I bought the Kindle to see what an android device was like. Love the screen but I would agree that it is nowhere near as smooth or slick as the mini. The mini is good if you want the smaller form factor with the Apple eco system. It is just another one of my many overlapping toys that my wife endlessly point out to me! Very nice Amazon official leather case.....

Oh, I see. Fair enough. At least you gave the iPad mini a try. I personally love the size and form factor of this device; however, I've never been keen on the size and weight of the iPad, but that could change especially with all the positive stuff I've heard about the iPad 4.

To me, the Apple ecosystem is the best! I heard the Android system is watered down on the Kindle Fire HD, and that Amazon's services are very limited. To each his own!

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Got up yesterday (Black Friday) and decided around 9:00 a.m. to go to Target to get an iPad (4). Really thought they would be out. Store was a little busy but not crazy busy and the guy at the electronics counter said they still had all versions of iPad in stock. Left with a White 16GB iPad 4 and the Target gift card. As long I stay off the "you should have purchased an iPad Mini" threads, I'm happy :)

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Got up yesterday (Black Friday) and decided around 9:00 a.m. to go to Target to get an iPad (4). Really thought they would be out. Store was a little busy but not crazy busy and the guy at the electronics counter said they still had all versions of iPad in stock. Left with a White 16GB iPad 4 and the Target gift card. As long I stay off the "you should have purchased an iPad Mini" threads, I'm happy :)

How are you liking it? I purchased the same model, white 16gb 4 on the apple site yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
How are you liking it? I purchased the same model, white 16gb 4 on the apple site yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive.

It's great (so far). It's as fast or faster than any iPad I've used, screen is amazing, and now since I have the iPhone 5 I appreciate the lightening connector. Can't complain at all and the sale yesterday sealed the deal.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
With my Rewards Zone Silver card, I got the 4 [ 16 GB WiFi only ] for $439+tax a week before BF :)

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Oh, I see. Fair enough. At least you gave the iPad mini a try. I personally love the size and form factor of this device; however, I've never been keen on the size and weight of the iPad, but that could change especially with all the positive stuff I've heard about the iPad 4.

To me, the Apple ecosystem is the best! I heard the Android system is watered down on the Kindle Fire HD, and that Amazon's services are very limited. To each his own!

Yes you're right. The Android on the Kindle is a custom Amazon job on top of the ICS version of Android I believe. I've used Amazon for years and it suits me fine. For the price the Kindle takes some beating.

Being as I am a complete Apple nut I will probably think of a good reason to get another mini before too long!

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
You do know you could have just showed them proof of purchase and they would have credited you

I thought they don't adjust the price on a Black Friday sale on a regular purchase. I will give it a shot on Monday. Thanks

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I thought they don't adjust the price on a Black Friday sale on a regular purchase. I will give it a shot on Monday. Thanks

They won't now. But if you had bought one and were still within the return period, yesterday they would have. I was in an apple store yesterday and bought an ipad 4 and mini a few weeks ago. They refunded me the money b.c I could have just returned and repurchased them.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012

Well I have a Mini and I'll steer clear of related posts after I return it.

Lots of folks say the size, weight, and portability is worth it to get the Mini over the 4. I now say it is the other way round for me. So far the 4 is screaming fast, the screen is great, battery life and charging are great and there is this thing called newer technology I'd rather have.

The Mini was fun, this is more the real McCoy! Videos and games are fantastic as well. Thanks Best Buy for the deal!

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
bought 2

My wife wanted an ereader and so did I. We looked at the kindle fire together - decent enough, we'll get it for Christmas.

Then the iPad mini came out and we looked at that. Loved the form factor and the software (we both have iPhones 5's), but weren't to wild about the non-retina screen. We walked over and looked at the iPad 4th gen... and eventually did a enough crazy rationalization to go ahead and purchase 2 of them.

"Well look at the screen... it has an apple logo... it's a fully featured tablet" etc.

That's the reality distortion field in full affect. We planned on spending $400 but ended up spending about $1000 with the best buy $60/off deal. :cool:

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Picked up my 64gb iPad 4 today from Best Buy with the $60 off. I went to buy a mini and LOVE LOVE LOVE the form factor but in the end I'm spoiled with my Retina Macbook Pro and phones. The day the iPad mini comes out with a retina screen I'll be buying it but for now I'm sticking with the iPad 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.