Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
ladyscot
macrumors newbie

Buying an iMac vs HP

my husband has had his desktop in the shop several times each year due to virus ect. we have several good protectors on the computer but he seems to open something and last time lost everything.
have been looking at a i mac all in one, (to also save space), he doesnt do a lot on the computer . I use it once in a while (I have my own lap top) to work with photos ect. and download music. I have a ipad and absolutely love it.
My daughter is all for it, my son so so. any thoughts. probable buying next week while in New York. thanks.
ladyscot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:26 AM   #2
hackletip
macrumors newbie

Go for it

I have had a PC for 16 years and have gone through more virus attacks and down time then I care to count. I just switched over to an iMac 27" and I couldn't be happier. With all the problems and learning curve there is to Windows 8 an iMac by far is the best choice.
hackletip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:37 AM   #3
DGPMaluco
macrumors regular

It's a good choice if you want it to just work and be virus free
DGPMaluco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Lanarae
Banned

Go iMac. I will never go back to a pc because of viruses. It was cheaper in the long run for me because I use to have a tech. come out to the house about twice a year to fix viruses on my pc, what a pain.
Lanarae is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
applefiend95
macrumors regular

Virus....

lol you are not supposed to have many anti-virus software loaded at the same time. just one is fine - suggestion would be norton symantec. have it on my PC and it runs just fine. dad has it too and he's been owning his pc for some 7 years with only about 3 refreshes.

the suggestion is only if you decide to keep the PC and the mac. the base 21.5 would be fine for you. me on the other hand, waiting for the 27 because i need many things open on the same screen side by side - books are all online and i need that word processor opened as well. also i need the simplicity of the mac OS.

best of luck with your purchase!

Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Technarchy
macrumors 601

On Windows 8 you have a couple of restore/reinstall options if your PC starts acting funky for whatever reason. Unless a piece of hardware goes, there should be no need for techs, Geek squads or whatever

I'm on a Windows 8 Pro homebrew box now. So far it works very well, but no way in hell I'd buy an HP.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Dduval
macrumors member

Get him a mac. I was a 20 year PC user and I'm really enjoying the switch to mac. It just seems more stable to me and I just like the user interface much better. I still have a wondows 7 laptop and a custom built windows 8 pro machine. I have no problems at all with those machines, I just "prefer" the Mac.

Ultimately, it comes down to user preference. Oh...and it's likely that his virus's will be a thing of the past for your hubby.
Dduval is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac