Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:58 PM   #1
bradl
macrumors 68020

After Driving on sidewalk to Avoid School Bus, Woman must wear "Idiot" sign

I think this one we all can agree on and say, "stupid ******* idiot!"

Read, and shake your head in disgust.

Oh.. video is included of her doing it multiple times, plus her getting stopped by police.

Story

Quote:
After Driving On Sidewalk To Pass School Bus, Woman Must Wear 'Idiot' Sign

by Mark Memmott
November 06, 2012 4:11 PM

"Justice has been served!" declares the man who helped police in Cleveland nab a woman who had been driving up on a sidewalk many mornings to get around a stopped school bus with children on board.

It's something 32-year-old Shena Hardin had done many times before, apparently, and for which a judge has now ordered her to wear a sign reading "Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid the school bus."

Hardin will have to wear the sign "for an hour per day, next Tuesday and Wednesday morning" and stand near the scene of the crime, according to Fox8 Cleveland. She's also had her license suspended for 30 days and must pay a $250 fine.

She had been seen pulling her dangerous stunt several times this school year. The bus driver, who had tipped off police about what she was doing, used a camera phone to catch Hardin in the act and was recording as she got pulled over by officers.

Fox8's report, which includes video of the crime, is here.
BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Wow... humans at there finest
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Yup, what a ****ing idiot. Good lord...
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Yup, what a ****ing idiot. Good lord...
Just saw this a couple of minutes ago, and can't help but completely agree with you.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
i remember when the video was posted and thought it was great that she finally got caught, this is an even better outcome.
peeaanuut is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:45 PM   #6
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

Punishment fits the crime.
The fine on the other hand, could have been a little steeper.
bruinsrme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:11 PM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603

Driver deserved to be caught and fined, and have their license suspended. The sign part is just medieval. Harks back to the stockade and pillory.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Just made the connection to the Scarlet Letter. I like that judge, they should have handled the Apple v. Samsung case
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:34 PM   #9
peeaanuut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Driver deserved to be caught and fined, and have their license suspended. The sign part is just medieval. Harks back to the stockade and pillory.
Shaming is becoming a more common punishment. Not sure if there are statistics in regards to repeat offendors who are shamed vs not shamed, but hey if it works, its pretty harmless.
peeaanuut is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:43 PM   #10
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
Shaming is becoming a more common punishment. Not sure if there are statistics in regards to repeat offendors who are shamed vs not shamed, but hey if it works, its pretty harmless.
"Losing face" has a time-honoured tradition in Asian cultures.

I see no harm in this returning.
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:32 PM   #11
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
"Losing face" has a time-honoured tradition in Asian cultures.

I see no harm in this returning.
All depends I suppose if the justice system is supposed to mete out vengeance or, you know, justice. The punishment is supposed to be an fair and unbiased deterrence to to the person committing the crime, and to others. Shaming is personal, and may even be prohibited under the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause.

The state is not supposed to impose sanctions on people who break the law for our amusement. I take back my comment about the sign portion of the punishment being 'medieval' - goes back to the Roman Empire. I would have hoped the American Empire would have shown a little more maturity over the empire that threw Christians in with lions. Though I have to admit the UFC does resemble gladiators more than a little.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:16 AM   #12
notjustjay
macrumors 603

I guess it depends on the underlying reasons behind the shaming.

Some people just won't listen. They are in their own little world, Planet "Me, Myself and I". It's all about them, them, them. They're right, everyone else is wrong. They look the best, dress the best, know the best.

Money? A fine? Pfaah, here's your silly fine money, let me get back to doing what I was doing and stop wasting my time. Important person, important places to go...

A fine is supposed to be a deterrent. Most people like to keep their money, so threatening to take some of it away deters them. But if that isn't effective, then you find another deterrent. If knocking down their social status and perceived self-importance is what wakes them up, then so be it.

I agree the fine should have been higher, though. $250? Try $2500.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:31 AM   #13
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
I agree the fine should have been higher, though. $250? Try $2500.
For the rich, even a fine of that size is but a permit to break the law.

IMO the only way to get their attention is through ridicule.

Now, about Lindsay Lohan .........
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:36 AM   #14
peeaanuut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
All depends I suppose if the justice system is supposed to mete out vengeance or, you know, justice. The punishment is supposed to be an fair and unbiased deterrence to to the person committing the crime, and to others. Shaming is personal, and may even be prohibited under the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause.

The state is not supposed to impose sanctions on people who break the law for our amusement. I take back my comment about the sign portion of the punishment being 'medieval' - goes back to the Roman Empire. I would have hoped the American Empire would have shown a little more maturity over the empire that threw Christians in with lions. Though I have to admit the UFC does resemble gladiators more than a little.
its totally the reverse now. The american empire as you call it, has the christians throw everyone else in with the lions now. Or at least they try.
peeaanuut is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:45 AM   #15
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
For the rich, even a fine of that size is but a permit to break the law.

IMO the only way to get their attention is through ridicule.

Now, about Lindsay Lohan .........
We don't know she is rich. Having to back to traffic school is usually a serious deterrent, even for the rich. Maybe more so for the rich.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:10 AM   #16
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
Punishment fits the crime.
The fine on the other hand, could have been a little steeper.
Fitting? Hardly. It should be much more servere. She endangered school kids. Heck, if someone pulled that sort of stunt around my kid's bus, I'd take a wrecking bar and go Gordon Freeman on him.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:19 AM   #17
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
I'd take a wrecking bar and go Gordon Freeman on him.
So, William 'D-Fens' Foster in Falling Down would be a tad too severe?
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:53 PM   #18
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
Fitting? Hardly. It should be much more servere. She endangered school kids. Heck, if someone pulled that sort of stunt around my kid's bus, I'd take a wrecking bar and go Gordon Freeman on him.
I would have loved to see someone put a spike strip on the side walk to blow out her tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spike strip.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	375675  
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:58 PM   #19
NT1440
macrumors G3

....And the bus driver didn't get in trouble for using a cell phone while driving a bus full of children?

I don't like what she did at all, but I don't find the bus driver's actions acceptable either. He couldn't have asked any of the kids to record it? God knows they'd manage to edit together a nice video and post it online in seconds

Put your ****ing phones down in the car people, too many good lives lost because someone can't wait 5 minutes to answer a goddamn text.
NT1440 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:22 PM   #20
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
....And the bus driver didn't get in trouble for using a cell phone while driving a bus full of children?

I don't like what she did at all, but I don't find the bus driver's actions acceptable either. He couldn't have asked any of the kids to record it? God knows they'd manage to edit together a nice video and post it online in seconds

Put your ****ing phones down in the car people, too many good lives lost because someone can't wait 5 minutes to answer a goddamn text.
Bus was stopped. Hopefully the driver also hadn't yet opened the doors so there would have been kids to monitor.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:28 PM   #21
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So, William 'D-Fens' Foster in Falling Down would be a tad too severe?
Old man, you jest. Maybe when my kids are no longer in school, I might mellow out. But right now, my kids DO stand at bus stops and this kind of stuff hits too close to home.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:35 PM   #22
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Well it is Cleveland. In Russia they have a place they make fun of too... Cleveland.

Seriously. Folks are unreal. I often wonder if the role was reversed and she had a child in the situation that she was doing, how she would react. Has anyone tried to Facebook her yet?
Scrub175 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:26 PM   #23
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post

Here is a longer video, the bus is parked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ApjIW0mA#at=36
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:26 PM   #24
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I would have loved to see someone put a spike strip on the side walk to blow out her tires.
While a mean (but gooood) idea that would put the kids at risk. She could lose control and hit someone. I think the way she got stopped was perfect.
Fine ? > $2500 and 6-12 month no DL would be better. That was really scary.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:34 PM   #25
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

Every time I see my state in the news, I already know it's going to be embarrassing. I pulled this up on flipboard and immediately thought "great, another Ohio story."

The video was great though. The cop was right there. To not see him proves she would never have noticed a kid either.