Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulCC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Hello:
I am currently using Macbook Pro 15, early 2011, 2 GHz. I have 16 GB of RAM installed.

I am considering upgrading for these reasons:
- no USB3. Thunderbolt seems too expensive, I think a RAID box with USB3 will be perfect for extra storage
- DIY Fusion drive does not work in this model, as reported by few members
- not sure how reliable would a SATA3 SSD be in this model
- it's a bit too big for travel.

I am a software developer, semi retired, but I want to get back to few projects. I need Windows as well for some mobile phone tools ( diagnostic monitors, RF planning, etc ) , currently running VMWare Fusion. Most of the time I am on an external monitor.

I am wondering if the Macbook Pro 13, 2.5 GHz i5 would be too much of a decrease in raw CPU power. Geekbench seems to indicate appr. 60% of CPU power compared to the 2011 15. The Airs do not support 16 GB of RAM, and the 15 inch rMBP is too expensive.
The first thing I'd do is install the DIY Fusion drive ( extra SSD, HDD into CD bay ).

Anyone with experience in this transition ?

Thanks for any info. PaulCC.

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
For your usage you should probably consider the 2.9Ghz i7 MBP for some extra power. Otherwise with plenty of RAM and an SSD it should run great!

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I had your model of 2011 15" MBP before and now own a 2012 13" MBP with an SSD and 16GB RAM. It is remarkably fast and when using it side-by-side with my 17" (which also has 16GB RAM and an SSD) it seems to run quite similarly.

However with your usage as jvpython states, the more powerful processor you can get the better. I would focus on that first and then worry about the RAM and SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.