Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Ever since I reformatted my Mac to a fresh mountain lion, truecrypt has been showing the rainbow wheel when it is decrypting and encrypting volumes.

The pre-reformat version didn't do this.

I GPG verified the download.

I suspect foul play. The download wasn't over https. Maybe the NSA/FBI/CIA has a rouge version running to spy on the ****izens ?

Or am I just crazy, It's never done this before.

edit: it does not do this spin when you eject the volume via the system "eject" button, and then dismounting. But technically proper procedure is to just press dismount. So that traces the issue(?) to something in Apple's dismounting.

Last edited:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I think you're just crazy. ;)

Given that TrueCrypt hasn't been updated since before ML was released it could just be that it's not optimized for it. Having said that, I haven't noticed any difference really between Lion and ML and I seem to recall always seeing the pinwheel for a second or two while decrypting. I don't think I'm being spied on though. :)

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
I think you're just crazy. ;)

Given that TrueCrypt hasn't been updated since before ML was released it could just be that it's not optimized for it. Having said that, I haven't noticed any difference really between Lion and ML and I seem to recall always seeing the pinwheel for a second or two while decrypting. I don't think I'm being spied on though. :)

I really only use truecrypt because I don't want google looking into my backups.

( Instead of paying for cloud backups I just use my google accounts)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.