Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I have had an iPhone for my last two phones (3G, 4) but I thought I'd take a shot at one of the new Windows Phones this time around. I drew up a list of pros and cons for both the iPhone 5 and the Nokia Lumia 920. This list of cons for the Lumia was long but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I bought the phone without a contract because it was very affordable. Well, after a week of using it the list of pros has basically stayed the same but the list of cons just keeps growing.

Overall, the Lumia 920 is a pretty exciting phone but the lack of apps for it, peculiar ways of doing the things I used to do on the iPhone, the bugginess of the Microsoft Phone syncing software, the lack of iCloud, iTunes, etc. has got me thinking about going back to the iPhone. I have a little less than a week to decide and return the phone to AT&T.

The thing about it is that I'm actually a little concerned about the iPhone 5 as well. Sure, it runs iOS6 and I'll be familiar with most things but after reading many of the threads here about scratches, dust, etc. I'm a little worried. I'm also thinking that committing to the iPhone 5 with a contract (unlike the Lumia, it's very expensive with no contract) means I'll miss whatever upgrade Apple has in store next year.

If I do actually switch back and after having a black iPhone 3G and 4 I am strongly leaning toward the white iPhone 5. For those of you bought the white one are you still happy? Regrets?

Are the reports of scratches/dust been overblown or resolved now that it's the end of November?

For those who upgraded, have you gotten used to the lighter, taller design? Or is it still "weird"?

Does anyone know if there are advantages/disadvantages to buying the iPhone 5 from the Apple Store vs. AT&T? AT&T branded the Nokia Lumia 920 and also included some AT&T apps with it. I'd rather not have that if possible.

Thanks for your help here.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
There is only one difference between buying from Apple or ATT and that is if you decide to return your iphone, att will slap you with restocking fee and Apple wont. Other that that, its the same, some hardcore apple fans like to by from Apple because of the "experience."

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I have had an iPhone for my last two phones (3G, 4) but I thought I'd take a shot at one of the new Windows Phones this time around. I drew up a list of pros and cons for both the iPhone 5 and the Nokia Lumia 920. This list of cons for the Lumia was long but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I bought the phone without a contract because it was very affordable. Well, after a week of using it the list of pros has basically stayed the same but the list of cons just keeps growing.

Overall, the Lumia 920 is a pretty exciting phone but the lack of apps for it, peculiar ways of doing the things I used to do on the iPhone, the bugginess of the Microsoft Phone syncing software, the lack of iCloud, iTunes, etc. has got me thinking about going back to the iPhone. I have a little less than a week to decide and return the phone to AT&T.

The thing about it is that I'm actually a little concerned about the iPhone 5 as well. Sure, it runs iOS6 and I'll be familiar with most things but after reading many of the threads here about scratches, dust, etc. I'm a little worried. I'm also thinking that committing to the iPhone 5 with a contract (unlike the Lumia, it's very expensive with no contract) means I'll miss whatever upgrade Apple has in store next year.

If I do actually switch back and after having a black iPhone 3G and 4 I am strongly leaning toward the white iPhone 5. For those of you bought the white one are you still happy? Regrets?

Are the reports of scratches/dust been overblown or resolved now that it's the end of November?

For those who upgraded, have you gotten used to the lighter, taller design? Or is it still "weird"?

Does anyone know if there are advantages/disadvantages to buying the iPhone 5 from the Apple Store vs. AT&T? AT&T branded the Nokia Lumia 920 and also included some AT&T apps with it. I'd rather not have that if possible.

Thanks for your help here.

I had an iP4 around launch time, think it was running iOS 4 back then. It was great a majority of the time, but it felt very limited and frustrating.

Like yourself, I have ventured out but I stuck with Android for years and like their way of doing things most of the time.

I recently picked up an iPhone 5 and to me it is the perfect balance between what Android offers and your typical iPhone scenario (iOS 6 has come on leaps and bounds since back then, people whining about it is quite irritating. Like MORE function is bad for them. Tools). I have my pulldown notification bar, the camera is good and the screen size is acceptable / decent.

Don't be fooled by the marketing on the Lumia 920, the camera isn't "all that" 80% of the time. For average light snap shots, it's actually worse than the S3 and iP5.

WP8 is trying to be iOS in it's execution with the innovation of Android and falls short on most fronts.

If you get an iPhone 5 you won't be disappointed.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
I'm planning to get one as well... Make sure that you have the people at the store open the box and examine if there are any marks or scuffs on them...

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I saw this phone today at AT&T, I was impressed at how well built it was and how solid it felt. I'm glad i saw this because for a bit I was thinking about it. I forgot about the iCloud and others you posted about it.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
The lack of apps would kill me too, if you're worried about damage out the box (which is frankly pathetic on such a expensive and supposed "premium device") you could get a white which has a less chance of damage for obvious reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.