Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Update: Just got mine today. Quick review:

When I got mine I was initially a bit dissapointed. This thing was really tiny, more so than expected and it looked like it would provide no protection at all. Was I ever wrong.

The Good:

The craze thin edge is designed to such perfect fitment and tolerances that it hugs the phone amazingly well and the band is held on with just enough tension and because the fitment is so good, it actually creates a bit of a vacume from the bumper to the bezel, keeping it on, so it's not going to come loose. The band also has some give to it material wise, so it has the absolute most protection possible from it's size, from the contouring the makes drop forces distribute evenly to, the just great fitment overall.

I dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete multiple times without any issues. The buttons are also perfectly usable by any person and I have big fingers.

All my audio cables also work with it just fine because it's so thin.

The bumper has great rear lay on table protection, but has very close to no front lay on table protection which means if you drop it your rear will be fine but your screen will be scratched. You NEED a front screen protector, which is no big deal.

The Bad:

I expected the clear version to matte, it's gloss, and the peice that connects the edges of the band is either silver or red with the clear bumper. It would have been much better if it was clear too.

I'm going to repaint the case in matte slate, and then try to shave off the logo and will post a full review with pics.

Overall:

8/10 (and I'm very very picky)

http://www.iphonecaze.com/iphone5/iphone-5-thinedge-slim-frame.html

Especially interested in seeing some photos on a black phone.

Also how hard are the buttons to use?

Thanks.

Last edited:

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Here's the Caze with a Ghost Armor matte back skin. Great combo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353883797.117097.jpg

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
I just ordered from caze. They have a cyber no day coupon that's good until Dec 3. Use "202010cyber" and you'll get a 20% discount!

LSUstang05

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
Just received mine. Ordered probably 2 weeks ago right before they said they were about to ship out. It is absolutely amazing out of the box. For some reason, I thought it was going to be metal, but it's plastic and super lightweight and very, very thin and just what I wanted. The only thing I can see being a potential problem is the "locking" mechanism that keeps it all tight on the phone. The red piece is just a plastic piece with connectors that keeps it super tight on the phone and looks like it might possibly wear down and not snap together over time. Other than that, though, this is one case that I plan on keeping on the phone for a long time (and I usually run a naked phone).

matrix808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I didn't get the clear as it was not available when I purchased but I was shipped the black version even though I ordered the silver (go figure). I put up a small review on my blog.

http://techmusings.me/169513935

I just read your blog, question though. Is the case like other bumpers i've used in the past (mainly apple style bumpers), thats its fairly loose on the edges of the phone?

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I just read your blog, question though. Is the case like other bumpers i've used in the past (mainly apple style bumpers), thats its fairly loose on the edges of the phone?

There is a bit of "give" on each side but only if you make a concerted effort to pull it. You don't really notice it on a day-to-day, real world use. Remember, this is a thin piece of plastic wrapped tightly around an already thin device.

LSUstang05

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011

Very little if any give. It a two piece system and the red piece you see in the pictures on his blog actually snaps together and pulls the bumper tighter around the phone to keep it very tight. It's not like the typical Apple bumpers that stretch to go around the phone.

Firestrife

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Miami
I just ordered one. I was wondering is it too tight on the back that back protecting skins won't fit properly without lifting the edges or pushing the skin?

I see you have the ghost armor on it but I remember someone saying they make a version that has gaps, I was wondering because I really dont want to take off the back skin.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
I just ordered one. I was wondering is it too tight on the back that back protecting skins won't fit properly without lifting the edges or pushing the skin?

I see you have the ghost armor on it but I remember someone saying they make a version that has gaps, I was wondering because I really dont want to take off the back skin.

If you look at JNGold's pics you can see that the bumper doesn't interfere with any of the back of the phone. GA has a little buffer room for a case, but in the pic you can see that buffer room, so I think your skin will be ok.

smitzzz24

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I just ordered from caze. They have a cyber no day coupon that's good until Dec 3. Use "202010cyber" and you'll get a 20% discount!

The discount code is not showing valid as of now. When I initially added to the cart this morning, it worked. I continued thru the checkout process and it is no longer working. I sent an email to customer service to inquire about it.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
well i came home from work and there was a card left by the postman for an 'international package'

hopefully it is the thinedge, going to pick it up tomorrow during my lunch!

djbobbless

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
got mine in today.. if you have a non wet apply screen protector on the back, then you'll want to remove it. It lifted my spigen 3pc protector off the back. Going to get a ghost armor matte rear and sides done today in replacement of the spigen.

myfavoritePA

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
USA
got mine in today.. if you have a non wet apply screen protector on the back, then you'll want to remove it. It lifted my spigen 3pc protector off the back. Going to get a ghost armor matte rear and sides done today in replacement of the spigen.

^ I second this. I had a Sticker boy skin on the back of my phone and the Caze lifted the corners. I also have a Bodyguardz Pure on the front and there is absolutely no lip around the screen with the glass SP installed.

The case looks very nice on the phone and is definitely the slimmest iPhone 5 bumper I've seen, but what's the point of a bumper when it offers no drop protection (at least if it lands on the screen) and does not allow you to keep a skin/screen protecter on the back of your phone? If you add the potential it has to scratch the aluminum sides due to its tight fit, the bottom line is that I can see this case causing more damage than it prevents. Might as well go naked...

My vote for best bumper case (that I've tried) goes to the Photive Hybrid; it's still thin (more so than the original Spigen Neo Hybrid EX), fits with a glass SP and back and side skins, and offers some drop protection/shock absorption. Plus, unlike the Monoprice and Elago Slimfit bumpers, which have the exact same design and dimensions as the Photive, the latter does not mess up the aesthetic with obnoxious logos plastered all over the place.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
The case looks very nice on the phone and is definitely the slimmest iPhone 5 bumper I've seen, but what's the point of a bumper when it offers no drop protection (at least if it lands on the screen) and does not allow you to keep a skin/screen protecter on the back of your phone? If you add the potential it has to scratch the aluminum sides due to its tight fit, the bottom line is that I can see this case causing more damage than it prevents. Might as well go naked...

Nope. Have had mine on for a couple of weeks now and not a nick, scratch, or dent.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
That's good!

Have you dropped it at all?

To be honest, no. Lets put it this way, I have owned every gen iPhone since the 3G and I can count on one hand the number of times I have dropped the phone. Plus I have AppleCare+ so the case is really is just for scratch and day to day use protection.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
...If you add the potential it has to scratch the aluminum sides due to its tight fit, the bottom line is that I can see this case causing more damage than it prevents. Might as well go naked...

The case is made of TPU plastic, how can it scratch the aluminum sides? Am I mistaken?

Firestrife

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Miami

Oh damn this kills me. I have the 3 piece, is there really no way to make it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.