Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Superman041
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Apple care + Insurance = ?

Is it worth buying Applecare for the iPhone 5 ? I'm in the UK, so we don't get Applecare+ . I'm thinking of getting Applecare and insurance... is that too much ?
Superman041 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:34 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Well.....

a iPhone can be a steep investment. To my knowledge, AppleCare is for problems with the hardware/software, reparations and so on. An insurance would cover loss and another kind of damage, I suppose. So for assurance for the investment, the more you can afford, the better, IMHO

__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:29 AM   #3
Acari
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Insurance includes a monthly fee, and that lost or stolen claim carries a deductable with it. Here in the US, insurance through a carrier is $10/month for the length of your 2 year contract. $10x24months=$240+$200 deductable=$440 vs $99 for Applecare & the free Find my iPhone feature. It's a no brainer imo.
Acari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acari View Post
Insurance includes a monthly fee, and that lost or stolen claim carries a deductable with it. Here in the US, insurance through a carrier is $10/month for the length of your 2 year contract. $10x24months=$240+$200 deductable=$440 vs $99 for Applecare & the free Find my iPhone feature. It's a no brainer imo.
Except A+ doesn't cover loss or theft like the $10/month carrier insurance does. A+ also has a deductible, although it's $49 rather than $199. For me, that makes it a head scratcher rather than a no brainer - unless you can see into the future and know you won't lose or have your iPhone stolen.
__________________
MBA i5 13/4/128, iPad 1, iPad 3, iPod Touch 5g
Bob Coxner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:40 AM   #5
iStudentUK
macrumors 65816
 
iStudentUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Do you have contents insurance for your home? With a decent provider? It's often cheap to add items you take out of your home - I'm covered for 2500 total, with 1000 per item and 50 excess. Covers loss, accidental damage and theft. Added about 40 to my annual quote, and obviously covers more than just an iPhone.
__________________
UK students may want to read about Apple education discounts and free student warranties here
iStudentUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:04 AM   #6
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman041 View Post
Is it worth buying Applecare for the iPhone 5 ? I'm in the UK, so we don't get Applecare+ . I'm thinking of getting Applecare and insurance... is that too much ?
Call your home insurance first and ask them what is covered.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Acari View Post
...vs $99 for Applecare & the free Find my iPhone feature. It's a no brainer imo. [/FONT]
I think "Find my iPhone" is excellent when you lost your phone somewhere in your home, or at some friends place. If it is stolen, getting it back might prove tricky.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:49 AM   #7
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
My rule of thumb is to never insure a rapidly depreciating asset. The reason insurance of this type is so lucrative is that the seller knows from statistics that they will most likely not have to pay out. So if your homeowners or renters insurance covers your handset, great. If not, I wouldn't spring for extra insurance besides perhaps an Otterbox.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
My rule of thumb is to never insure a rapidly depreciating asset. The reason insurance of this type is so lucrative is that the seller knows from statistics that they will most likely not have to pay out. So if your homeowners or renters insurance covers your handset, great. If not, I wouldn't spring for extra insurance besides perhaps an Otterbox.
I would add to this wisdom the rule of thumb to not insure items that you can readily afford to repair or replace on your own. Extended consumer product warranties and insurance policies are pushed heavily by manufacturers and retailers because they are very profitable.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Superman041
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
thanks for the advice.

I have heard with AppleCare the genius's in the sop are more likely to go further to help you . As in terms of them taking away a product to fix... ?
Superman041 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:16 AM   #10
slu
macrumors 65816
 
slu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Buffalo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
I would add to this wisdom the rule of thumb to not insure items that you can readily afford to repair or replace on your own. Extended consumer product warranties and insurance policies are pushed heavily by manufacturers and retailers because they are very profitable.
All excellent points. Apple Care for a $199 phone is a waste of money.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman041 View Post
thanks for the advice.

I have heard with AppleCare the genius's in the sop are more likely to go further to help you . As in terms of them taking away a product to fix... ?
Not correct. But it seems like you have already decided to get AppleCare and you are looking for people to talk you into it.

If you want it fine. And you'll find lots of stories on here about how AppleCare "saved" them. You don't hear about the countless number of people who bought AppleCare and never used it once so they wasted money.
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Superman041
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
All excellent points. Apple Care for a $199 phone is a waste of money.

----------



Not correct. But it seems like you have already decided to get AppleCare and you are looking for people to talk you into it.

If you want it fine. And you'll find lots of stories on here about how AppleCare "saved" them. You don't hear about the countless number of people who bought AppleCare and never used it once so they wasted money.

Wrong , if I decided to but it, why would I create a post about it. The whole point of this thread is to find out whiter AppleCare without the "+" as we don't get that in the UK is worth it.
Superman041 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:45 AM   #12
slu
macrumors 65816
 
slu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Buffalo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman041 View Post
Wrong , if I decided to but it, why would I create a post about it. The whole point of this thread is to find out whiter AppleCare without the "+" as we don't get that in the UK is worth it.
Fair enough. Then that is a subjective question. If you think the "peice of mind" is worth the price, then you should get it. But the likelyhood that something goes wrong with your phone outside of the 1 year warranty period is quite small.
__________________
MacMini 2.3 GHz i7 / Nexus 4 / iPod classic 160 GB / iPad 2 / Nexus 7 / AppleTV2&3
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Superman041
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
Fair enough. Then that is a subjective question. If you think the "peice of mind" is worth the price, then you should get it. But the likelyhood that something goes wrong with your phone outside of the 1 year warranty period is quite small.
Hope I didn't sound to harsh, I do understand your point. Especially with the one year care Apple provides anyway.
Superman041 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:46 PM   #14
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Another thing to consider is that many credit card companies automatically double the manufacturer's warranty as a perk to customers.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:01 PM   #15
velocityg4
macrumors 68040
 
velocityg4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Georgia
I thought in the UK you are covered for 2 or 3 years by law. If that is the case what does Applecare offer that the law doesn't besides phone support?
__________________
Quadra 650 040 33MHz 72MB RAM, 2GB HD, 2x CD
Macbook C2D 2.0Ghz; 3GB RAM, 500GB HD
Home Made i5 4.0Ghz, GeForce 560 Ti, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD RAID 0, 3TB HD RAID 0 in a G5 Case.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:49 PM   #16
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
I thought in the UK you are covered for 2 or 3 years by law. If that is the case what does Applecare offer that the law doesn't besides phone support?
You have statutory rights. After more than six months, it is up to you to prove that a device was defective when purchased. And if you bought any product for example from Comet, good luck with statutory rights.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about T mobile insurance and apple care spree254 iPhone 4 Oct 4, 2013 11:56 AM
Carrier insurance vs apple care Joe1 iPhone 10 Sep 12, 2013 12:12 AM
UK insurance or apple care? ri0ku iPhone 11 Sep 24, 2012 06:06 AM
Should I get Insurance or Apple Care +? Jacoblee23 iPhone 2 Sep 23, 2012 02:29 PM
AT&T Insurance vs. Apple Care jlake02 iPhone 3 Sep 20, 2012 06:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC