Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I just switched from a galaxy s3 to the iPhone 5 and I couldn't be happier. I've had every other iPhone and got bored so I tried the galaxy s3. Now I'm back and I love the redesign. Bigger screen is amazing.

What did you come from and why.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
So you left the iPhone and came crawling back?

The emperor would like to speak with you. ;)

Everyone is allowed their opinion. Some are educated, others aren't. I'm just glad you found a smart phone that fits your needs, regardless of the name on it.

TheRocketmac

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
I went from the s3 to the 4s. Mom needed a new phone, so i gave her my 4s so I went back to the s3. Now I'm taking the 5 (32GB-white) for a spin and like it so far. Only thing I miss is the screen on the s3, which is outstanding (at least for large-thumbed individuals like myself). However, I do have the benefit of carrying an s3 for a work phone (so there's that going for me).

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Within the last year I went from iPhone 4 to a galaxy nexus. Hated how cheap the nexus felt and went to a 4s. Got the opportunity to change to the 5 and actually make $$$ doing it and upgraded.

Willdr1991

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
S3 considering Iphone again.

I had the Iphone since the 3GS and got the iphone 4, 4S and then at this point i had gotten really bored with the OS. Ive jailbroken, tweaked, themed, but i was just bored with the whole UI. Then i decided to give android a try so i read reviews and did research and ended up getting the galaxy s3. I wasnt too happy with the switch at first but once i got the hang of everything i LOVED it. the possibilities are endless on android.Loved customizing and making it my own creation and doing things i previously couldnt do on ios like downloading any type of file including music, movies, you name it straight on the phone itself without the help of a computer. The phone has been speedy for these couple of months ive owned it but i could never understand why it lagged from time to time, theres many hiccups and freezes and force closes using android. and i love this phone. Thing is i still miss iOS. i am torn between the two. NO MATTER how high specced and fast android has gotten for some strange reason it still lags at times. Apps still force close,the phone freezes up etc. So ive decided that i will just get the next iphone that comes out next year and deal with this phone in the meantime being that the iphone 5 has already been out for like two months so it makes no sense to switch now. what i like about ios is that its smooth, organized and works. i also have a macbook pro and an iPad 3 so they would work perfectly with each other. ANother thing is that the accessories for android phones are no where close to as many as the iphone has, there are millions of cases and other accessories for the iphone when for the S3 you have to hunt for great and nice looking elegant cases. Even though i miss ios and want to get the next iPhone i hope that for ios7 apple breathes new life into the UI and OS and make it a bit more interesting and add more functionality. Do you think i should get the iphone 5 now or just wait till next year? i heard a rumor that the next iphone is going to be announced in mid summer schedule?

----------

As of this time for the past month, my S3 has been really slow. The gallery is laggy and doesnt register my swipes and loads my pictures very slowly. apps force close a lot. And Im tech savvy so i know that i have to close all the apps in the background. ive done that, restarted the phone and it still happens. aside from that im on AT&T and ive been waiting for the jellybean update for FOREVERRR. at this point its so annoying and 4.2 version is already out. UNBELIEVABLE, my next phone im going back to iPhone. and I'm not trolling or a fanboy of either i just want a great phone that actually works. i also hate the build quality of the S3, the iphone is extremely well designed and built.

BrerSam

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
I went from a iPhone 4 to a S3 used it for 5 months and got fed up of the fragmentation so i decided to go to a 4S, i want the 5 but can't justify the price since i am only living in the US for one year so can't get a contract.

Its nice to go back, i miss the big screen abit and sometimes i find myself trying to press the back button but still love the iPhone, only problem is my battery is terrble seems to be worse than the S3 so far

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
I just switched from a galaxy s3 to the iPhone 5 and I couldn't be happier. I've had every other iPhone and got bored so I tried the galaxy s3. Now I'm back and I love the redesign. Bigger screen is amazing.

same here, tried it, but came back to the 5 very fast

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Funny. In August I traded my 4S for an S3. Had it for two months and enjoyed flashing it etc and relearning android and making use of my LTE unlimited plan I was paying for (had a Droid Eris for a year and a half before getting a 4S on launch day). Anyway, from S3 I went to a Razr M having preferred the size more. Then a friend of mine offered one of his upgrades on his family plan to me so I got an iPhone 5. Very happy to be back and I noticed some good stuff on iOS 6 that I don't remember seeing in iOS5. I miss a few android things but overall I'm liking the 5. Just got it activated today!

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I've only had iPhones and don't like the droid phones. The galaxy sIII and other droid/razor phones have bad displays. They are not correctly color corrected and all seem to have a green cast to them. Not good if your a photographer. The iPhone retina display is the best by far.... No matter what you droid lovers say. They all have a green cast. Movies (Avatar, Avengers) etc. look great on the iPhone retina display since it is color corrected. Congrats on getting the iPhone 5.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I've only had iPhones and don't like the droid phones. The galaxy sIII and other droid/razor phones have bad displays. They are not correctly color corrected and all seem to have a green cast to them. Not good if your a photographer. The iPhone retina display is the best by far.... No matter what you droid lovers say. They all have a green cast. Movies (Avatar, Avengers) etc. look great on the iPhone retina display since it is color corrected. Congrats on getting the iPhone 5.

quoted for its ridiculouslessness

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

and i'll quote you for ignorance and fandroidness. :rolleyes:

Anandtech: iPhone 5's screen is on par with most professional displays.
Displaymate: iPhone 5's screen is the best overall out of all the smartphones today.

what now?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

Just because screens are bigger doesn't mean they are good quality. I have both the iPhone 5 and SIII. The problem with the SIII display is that the colors are over saturated where with the iPhone they are more realistic. That's the price Samsung pays for going with a OLED display.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
and i'll quote you for ignorance and fandroidness. :rolleyes:

Yup, I'm such a "fandroid" that I own thousands of dollars in Apple devices

----------

Just because screens are bigger doesn't mean they are good quality. I have both the iPhone 5 and SIII. The problem with the SIII display is that the colors are over saturated where with the iPhone they are more realistic. That's the price Samsung pays for going with a OLED display.

I own both also. The S3's screen is much more vibrant. Better for watching movies and such. Only metric where the iPhone 5's display is better is screen brightness.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

LOL, that's restarted. It's not ridiculous at all...complete truth. As a photographer, I have a well trained eye for screen color accuracy, And I say the droid screen is horrible!!! Over saturated and green! Put them side by side, you'll see. It's very evident. Now excuse yourself....

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Yup, I'm such a "fandroid" that I own thousands of dollars in Apple devices

----------

I own both also. The S3's screen is much more vibrant. Better for watching movies and such. Only metric where the iPhone 5's display is better is screen brightness.

more vibrant =/= more accurate colors; If you like over-saturated screens, that's your preference, don't make it sound like "more vibrant is better"

----------

LOL, that's restarted. It's not ridiculous at all...complete truth. As a photographer, I have a well trained eye for screen color accuracy, And I say the droid screen is horrible!!! Over saturated and green! Put them side by side, you'll see. It's very evident. Now excuse yourself....

obviously that guy prefers to have ultra vibrant screens for his 18+ NSFW video enjoyments.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Interesting.
Most android or S3 users I see hate the iphone with a passion for some reason:D
I remember the same thing back in the day with some blackberry users saying the iphone is a toy for kids and their blackberries are for true professionals.
Now they all switched to iphones and finally confess how much they really hated their blackberries.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Yup, I'm such a "fandroid" that I own thousands of dollars in Apple device
That still doesn't make your statement true

If you ask anyone with knowledge about displays, he would tell you the iP5s display is superior to the S3s. (Color Accuracy, Pixel Density, RGB vs RGBG, brightness, ....)

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I switched from the Galaxy SII, glad to be back. Its not just the phone, its the entire universe, iCloud is amazing and so is the camera : )

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I think the screen is what I dislike most about the S3. The color cast is horrible, and the Pentile technology make sure you still see those pixels. It's really disturbing to me. Ages away from the iPhone Retina Display.

OTOH I've seen other Android phones with great displays, like the HTC One X.

And no, I'm not fanboying here. The complaint about the S3 display is there even among my Android fan friends, who are considering switching to something with a better screen.

Tomas149

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
So, I had an iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and then I wanted to try something new, so I bought the Samsung Galaxy S II. Then after 3 months I realised that Android is not for me with these slow apps, poor software updates and fragmentation, so I went back to Apple and bought the iPhone 4S and now I'm very happy.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Had the HTC One S. Loved the lightweight and thinness of the device but eventually just got tired of many annoying issues with Android and just decided to go back to iOS with the iPhone 4S. Many of the apps I used to use on iOS were buggy, laggy, or missing features on Android. Some of them would even force close constantly. Also after trying several music players, none came close to the one on the iPhone. All were slower and lagged between songs. Customizing is overrated IMO. It's nice to be back with a phone that just works and gets the job done with very little frustration.

Only thing I miss from the Android is the 4G speeds. I used to get around 20mbps with it but that has more to do with carrier since I'm on T-Mobile.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
So you left the iPhone and came crawling back?

The emperor would like to speak with you. ;)

Everyone is allowed their opinion. Some are educated, others aren't. I'm just glad you found a smart phone that fits your needs, regardless of the name on it.

Good to see some people who share the same opinion as mine. I've always used an iPhone because it suits my needs and it does everything I need.

Regardless of the brand, people should buy a smartphone that fits their needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.